Stillness

Kevin Mahoney

Coaching Member
“Learning how to be still, to really be still and let life happen - that stillness becomes a radiance.”
Morgan Freeman
A son’s illness kept me home from work today. A contractor working on the bathroom has kept me from trying to do anything around the house. As a result, I found my self with a need to fill the day with a quiet but productive activity. I grabbed my computer and knew that it was time to do some reflecting and writing. I have neglected this aspect of myself over the past few months. Getting a newly purchased house up to speed and dabbling in photography (yes, food pics on Instagram I can admit it. @southernnewenglandfoodie) have fulfilled my need for creativity. While the creative element has been fostered, the reflective element has not. That is until today….
Having today free to think, reflect and write has been a blessing. I feel this strange sense of focused peace. I am having a hard time remembering the word that describes how I feel. It begins with an R.. Now I remember, I am feeling… relaxed. It is amazing that one day of relative stillness has brought me such a sense a relaxation and peace.
If stillness becomes radiance, how much are you shinning? If stillness is elusive, are you able to take advantage of the opportunity when it arises?

Elhama

Coaching Member
Hi Kevin Mahoney,
What a lovey post you typed above. Sometimes we face situations like yours above where we have no choice but to keep still and sometimes we do not know why things do not change. Although we do our best to change it but we reach to a stage where we do not have any thing left to do about it except being satisfying with what is happening and being patient till it passes. I think the satisfaction with fate while trusting in Allah "God" knowing that He always does what is best to us can result in shining in stillness and relaxation. May be that is because of choosing to be grateful for what is going on instead of being angry and rejecting it.

Many resources talk about and refer to that how gratefulness is necessary for reaching peace, however, what they do not tell that it takes courage and great deal of effort to possess such wonderful attribute "gratefulness" and that effort need patience to be done. I think that is why gratefulness and patience are very well-valued by Allah "God" and He rewards those who have them. I believe also how much a person shines during stillness depending on how much they feel grateful and patient instead of being angry and worried.
Kind Regards

Kevin Mahoney

Coaching Member
Elhama thanks for your thought. It is funny you mentioned gratitude because I am finishing up a month long study on the topic. I have not considered the connection between that and a stronger sense of stillness. I will have to ponder that further.

Elhama

Coaching Member
Hi Kevin Mahoney,
You welcome. Either that is funny or it may means that I have a bit of psychic power (just kidding). I once heard a good saying "You become what you dwell on". May be when you dwelt on studying gratitude, it reflected on you making you feel grateful even if it was on an unconscious level in that day of the relative stillness which in its turn lead to your positive creative action. That is may be why a person needs to choose carefully what they continuously focus on and what they do regularly which is clearly implied in the following wise quote;
"Watch your thoughts for they become words.
Watch your words for they become actions.
Watch your actions for they become habits.
Watch your habits for they become your character.
And watch your character for it becomes your destiny.
What we think, we become."
May Allah "God" bless us all with the feeling of gratitude.
Kind Regards

Last edited: