Staying Positive by Avoiding Negative People

buroo

Negativity is like an addiction. You get used to it and love it that way until one day when the truth is revealed to you through a medium, which can be in form of a book, or words of a person, or a television programme. Then you suddenly realize how you had deprived yourself from the benefit of Positiveness.

People around us are both negative and positive. Actually there are both negative and positive traits in every person. But it is up to us to decide which is more important to us and which one we need to keep in check, provided we have developed that sort of control system within ourselves.

What I've personally experienced in my life and also discussed about it with others I felt discussing about is that, negative people really wears you down. The more you stay in contact with a negative person the more you'd feel the unrest within yourself and the negative emotions within yourself will get stronger. Whereas if you are in contact with a positive person it will lift your spirits up.

Just to give an example, if you spend a few days with a person who always feels bitter, admonishes everything around him, thinks everything is hopeless, after sometime you'd lose hope within yourself and get depressed. On the other hand if you spend a few days with a person who always stays in a buoyant and jovial mood and looks at the bright side of everything, you'll find your spirits really going up, if you were depressed earlier.

I've first-hand experience of what I stated earlier. Sadly, all people can't avoid those negative fellows as it might be one of your family member you just can't dump like that and he might be in no mood to change or listen to your good advice. In such cases I think you need to search for positive energy in the accompaniment of other positive persons to negate the flow of negative energy within you, else life would wear you down slowly but surely at a much faster rate than usual.

Sophia G

While I absolutely agree that negative people are tiring, I feel sorry for them and try to find out what is making them that way and help if I can.

R. Paradon

Negativity is like an addiction. The more you stay in contact with a negative person the more you'd feel the unrest within yourself and the negative emotions within yourself will get stronger. Whereas if you are in contact with a positive person it will lift your spirits up.

Just to give an example, if you spend a few days with a person who always feels bitter, admonishes everything around him, thinks everything is hopeless, after sometime you'd lose hope within yourself and get depressed. On the other hand if you spend a few days with a person who always stays in a buoyant and jovial mood and looks at the bright side of everything, you'll find your spirits really going up, if you were depressed earlier.

You have some sound advice but I don't feel like negativity is an addiction that is contagious. If a person is secure and happy in his own mind then his own positive nature will overcome the effects of a negative environment. Of course when you are in contact with positive people it is a lot more pleasant but we are in charge of our emotions.

Rea

There will always be negative people around us. Most of the time, these people will hold us back from ever reaching your goals. The only reason that I can think of as to why they do that is because of jealousy and insecurity. I know how annoying that could be sometimes as I have met a couple of negative people. How did I try to avoid them? By spending more of my time with people who are selfless and those who are genuinenly happy with me succeeding in my goals. I talk to my friends and relatives who willingly share their knowledge so I can achieve what they already have,too.

You won't learn anything from negative people, so stop wasting your time with them. Do not let them bring you down. Stay committed and focused and you'll eventually reach your goals. ;)

buroo

You have some sound advice but I don't feel like negativity is an addiction that is contagious. If a person is secure and happy in his own mind then his own positive nature will overcome the effects of a negative environment. Of course when you are in contact with positive people it is a lot more pleasant but we are in charge of our emotions.
The kind of persons you are talking about are not the more prevalent ones, hence a generalization cannot be made on it. On an average people are greatly influenced and affected by negativity and negative people, particularly if such person or persons happen to be in your family and you are not in a position to move-out. I've seen it in so many families with abusive husbands, whining wives, over-possessive parents, rival siblings and so many more of such examples that cannot be detailed in just a mere post. Such people are really worn out and even though criticizing from outside is always easier for anybody, but those who had dealt with such situations effectively in life will I think be in a better position to give a better judgment.

White Sands

Negative people are interesting, I actually listen to them and ask questions which usually leads to the root cause of their outlook on life, once I understand them I can then help them and give them a positive perspective on the root cause. Sometimes it doesn't sink in and all I do is smile and wish them the best. :)

delboy491

Advisor Member
I have had very similar meetings with negative people where I work and even at home with my family.
Is this because they don't know any better, it's what they have learned from childhood and have carried these beliefs through their lives.
I find it is very hard to try and feel positive when all around you are trying (not intentionally) to bring you down.
The feelings I experience differ greatly depending on the "vibes" that you hear or even feel be it positive or negative.
And I have also found that the more people around you that are negative the more difficult it is to turn things into a positive.
In these days of troubles economic and otherwise it is even harder to keep ahead and try to remain positive.
It certainly makes it a bigger challenge.;)

Jessi

While I absolutely agree that negative people are tiring, I feel sorry for them and try to find out what is making them that way and help if I can.
That's sweet and all, but it can also be exhausting. If you're not careful, you'll get sucked in and have no real way out. Some negative people are simply vile and they will poison everything around them, even when people are trying to help. They can really only be helped if they *want* to be better.

Charles Franklin

Advisor Member
I am all for the argument that you need to stay away from negativity and negative people; however I feel the idea is a bit unrealistic. You can't always stay away from negative people (try family?) and even if you did you still have one negative person left, you. Negativity is in all of us (that's how we know what it is and how it feels like). By learning to separate the negativity that is expressed by someone from the person you love and care about, you express a deeper sense of love than most people will ever accomplish. When you are confronting someone's negativity, you are confronting their doubts, their ego, and their fears, that's it. The problem is that our ego, doubts, and fears attack the person.

Now, if I could just learn that lesson myself....

Lana James

Good points there.. I also believe that negativity is like a magnet, that when you are surrounded by negative people, you are also pulled to be pessimistic. But when you have a strong conviction to yourself, no matter how people drag you down, you can still go up and do what you have to do in your life.

Charles Franklin

Advisor Member
L
Good points there.. I also believe that negativity is like a magnet, that when you are surrounded by negative people, you are also pulled to be pessimistic. But when you have a strong conviction to yourself, no matter how people drag you down, you can still go up and do what you have to do in your life.
Lana-
You bring up an excellent point! Negative people can't stay around someone who is too positive for them!

M

mjohn

Negativity is like an addiction. You get used to it and love it that way until one day when the truth is revealed to you through a medium, which can be in form of a book, or words of a person, or a television programme. Then you suddenly realize how you had deprived yourself from the benefit of Positiveness.

People around us are both negative and positive. Actually there are both negative and positive traits in every person. But it is up to us to decide which is more important to us and which one we need to keep in check, provided we have developed that sort of control system within ourselves.

What I've personally experienced in my life and also discussed about it with others I felt discussing about is that, negative people really wears you down. The more you stay in contact with a negative person the more you'd feel the unrest within yourself and the negative emotions within yourself will get stronger. Whereas if you are in contact with a positive person it will lift your spirits up.

I've first-hand experience of what I stated earlier. Sadly, all people can't avoid those negative fellows as it might be one of your family member you just can't dump like that and he might be in no mood to change or listen to your good advice. In such cases I think you need to search for positive energy in the accompaniment of other positive persons to negate the flow of negative energy within you, else life would wear you down slowly but surely at a much faster rate than usual.
Avoiding negative people is the key.
I try to avoid negative members of my family as they are suckers. Do not be mislead by their good words.

regards
John

Quratt

The negative thinking leads to frustration, annoyance, tiredness, feeling lost and unsure, and mild depression. If we are talking strictly about how to get rid of negative thinking then the better of the many ways would be to use Hypnosis. Learn powerful hypnotic techniques to stop negative thoughts before they start
Negative thinking can make all sorts of things incredibly difficult.
It is like a leak in your confidence bucket – constantly drip-drip-dripping away your confidence and self esteem.
Download Stop Negative Thinking now and plug the leak in your confidence bucket!
http://www.unknownhypnosis.com/hypnosis-downloads-mp3/stop-negative-thinking-now