Some ideas on developing the Self/Observer/Objective "you"

Frode

Coaching Member
Hi! Here are my favorite ideas from "The Practicing Mind" by Thomas M. Sterner. It's a book that'll help you develop focus and discipline in your life by focusing on the present moment instead of just the goal that is far away from being reached. I hope you enjoy!

Frode

Coaching Member
You can become more objective and be a better self observer by having an open mind, empathizing with others, listening to what others go through and accepting their constructive critiques.
Thank you for sharing that, Todd! I realize now that I can become better at really listening to what others go through, without being too "fluffy" (overly optimistic) about it.

I completely agree that taking in the NOW is much better than ruminating on hypothetical negative things that may happen in the future! Empathizing is being THERE with the individual and allowing them space to feel what they need to feel. That is more helpful than sympathizing which turns one set of negative emotions into two when the both of you are in a negative state of mind or when you 'feel bad' or 'feel sorry' for the other person.

Frode

Coaching Member
I completely agree that taking in the NOW is much better than ruminating on hypothetical negative things that may happen in the future! Empathizing is being THERE with the individual and allowing them space to feel what they need to feel. That is more helpful than sympathizing which turns one set of negative emotions into two when the both of you are in a negative state of mind or when you 'feel bad' or 'feel sorry' for the other person.
WOW, that resonates so deeply with me, JC! It's never a pretty sight or feeling when the "pity club" starts to form. :p

Hi! Here are my favorite ideas from "The Practicing Mind" by Thomas M. Sterner. It's a book that'll help you develop focus and discipline in your life by focusing on the present moment instead of just the goal that is far away from being reached. I hope you enjoy!
Thank you for sharing Frode. It is great to see people pro-actively spreading positivity in this way. And to spread it in a non-judgemental way that people can really connect with.
Good on you!

Frode

Coaching Member
Thank you for sharing Frode. It is great to see people pro-actively spreading positivity in this way. And to spread it in a non-judgemental way that people can really connect with.
Good on you!
Thank you very much, Harry, I appreciate your kindness :)

VEM

I applaud everyone in this thread, its a very important topic and the world of men and women would be a much better place if more of us were self observant and more often. If more of us would question our behavior. Not just observe but question the usefulness of certain thoughts and emotions and learn to not act on them because we have learned to see them as being detrimental to us and those around us. We must be in control and not our brains.

Violence, substance abuse, cruelty, vanity to name a few, are behaviors that are exhibited because we get caught up in our brains and cannot rise above the torrent of thoughts and question them. Don't let the flow of thoughts that can be a raging river keep you from reaching the other side, from reaching your goals. Within us all we move through this river. The more you understand the big picture the better you are at crossing that river and being able to control it to the point where it begins to work with you and not against you. I find this a useful analogy but one must understand the truth that we are all intangible projections of our bodies interacting with the world around us. Self awareness created by interactions between our brain, body and the external world.

Last edited: