Showering before bed? Bad for you?

crovax85

Hi

I usually shower at night before i go to bed. I take a hot shower and the make sure my hair is dry before i sleep. Is that bad for you? I;ve been told that it is bad for your bones and joints in the future. Is that true??

Thanks

iebo

I've never heard anything about a shower before bed being bad for your bones. I think if you're concerned you should just make sure you get plenty of calcium. I know that if I take a shower at night it keeps me up.

fsxss

Hi

I usually shower at night before i go to bed. I take a hot shower and the make sure my hair is dry before i sleep. Is that bad for you? I;ve been told that it is bad for your bones and joints in the future. Is that true??

Thanks
There's no reason for showering at any time of the day to have an effect, negative or otherwise, on your bones. The only downside of taking a shower at night is that you might catch a cold because your hair will stay wet in the bed all night, but since you make sure you dry it, you have nothing to worry about.

speedy

Advisor Member
I love taking shower before going to sleep because it helps me to sleep good. I had a long hair and takes time for me to dry them. Sometimes, I do taking shower without getting my hair wet. I heard such thing too and even taking a shower at night is not good for the eyes. I heard them from my oldies, especially after working the whole day under the heat of the sun. They won't allowed us to wash our face or our body until the next day. There is even a quotation that they always told us "Nobody die of being dirty but by being meticulous" - " Filipino Version(Walang namatay sa pagiging marumi ngunit sa pagiging maarte)

radascars

Advisor Member
Nothing is wrong or bad will happen if you take shower at night before sleep. It will be more comfortable for you. I do this sometimes when I am on call at work, I tend to shower before I sleep so if an emergency call happen, I can immediately go to my work.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
I love taking shower before going to bed because the body is more relaxed and refreshed. It is always good to sleep when your whole body is clean and smelling good. And since you are using hot shower then i don't think there would be side-effects later. This is one of the secrets of the Japanese.

beingwell

Hi

Thanks
I shower my body every night, as well. It's very hot here and I find it difficult to sleep soundly if I don't shower. As to the side-effects, I don't really know.:oops: I remember the elders saying that it may not be good for us but there's really no documentation whether that's true.

radascars

Advisor Member
I shower my body every night, as well. It's very hot here and I find it difficult to sleep soundly if I don't shower. As to the side-effects, I don't really know.:oops: I remember the elders saying that it may not be good for us but there's really no documentation whether that's true.
Nahh, I used to believe my parents too saying that I blood will get low if I shower before I go to bed but after graduating in a medical field I found out that there's no reason for us not to take shower before bed. I wonder where did they got that idea though. :)

moneymakingmom

I love taking shower before going to sleep because it helps me to sleep good. I had a long hair and takes time for me to dry them. Sometimes, I do taking shower without getting my hair wet. I heard such thing too and even taking a shower at night is not good for the eyes. I heard them from my oldies, especially after working the whole day under the heat of the sun. They won't allowed us to wash our face or our body until the next day.
Our second grade teacher was the exact same way. After bringing all the children back in from the outside, she would not allow us to bathe our faces in water or drink too much water, only letting each child have a wet napkin to dab their face. She said it was dangerous to force your body to go from very hot to cool too quickly. I never believed her but maybe there was some truth in it.

Cecil Estrera

I researched in the web and here are the facts that I got:

Benefits of Taking a Shower at Night

Well, we all have our own feel good reasons here, you can have a look to find out more reasons to enjoy your shower at night!
  • Taking a shower is a fun activity, it gives you a chance to gift yourself a soft, smoothing, energizing feeling.
  • Taking a warm shower will cleanse your skin, it opens the pores and cleanses the skin from the inside too. It will flush out toxins from your skin, making you feel fresh and clean, leaving you with a soft and supple feeling at the end of the day. Try a milk bath to get beautiful and supple skin.
  • Taking a shower at night will help in lowering blood pressure, relieving you from all the stress, it will relax your body, giving you a power break from your busy routine.
  • After a rigorous day, even after you workout, your body muscles can feel tense and cramped. A shower will relax these muscles, and soothe body ache and pain. Indulge in a steam bath to relax your muscles after a hard day.
  • A shower at home at night is also a cost effective way to enjoy a royal feeling. A warm shower will leave your skin feeling soft and smooth, and you will feel younger and fresher once you step out of the bath.
  • You will get sometime to let go of your mind, relax, be yourself, and let all your worries take a back seat.
  • A warm shower at night with your loved one will bring back the romance, you can relax and be together for charming and inexpensive solitude.
  • Apart from feeling fresh and relaxed, taking a shower at night will also leave you smelling fabulous. Sinking in the bed with a soft and clean fragrance is pure bliss!
  • Most importantly, it will give you a deep and good sleep for the night. Taking a shower at night is also helpful in treating insomnia.
Taking a shower will allow you to unwind, physically and mentally. For those who like cold showers, and have the immune for the same, read more on these cold water shower benefits. You wouldn't want to sleep with all that dirt and sweat on your bed at night. Go for a relaxing shower, continue this for a few days, and you will gradually notice the change. Also go through this article on Buzzle that gives us a good idea aboutcold shower vs hot shower.

Tips on Taking a Shower at Night

We need to take care of certain things while taking a shower at night. The following are a few tips that you can easily remember.
  • While taking a hair shower at night, make sure you have a warm water shower. Dry your hair properly before going to bed, as during the night, the body temperature is cooler than the mornings.
  • If you are looking for that good nights sleep, take a shower only once you are ready to sleep.
  • Avoid taking a shower immediately after workout. The pores in your skin open out due to sweating, (you can observe tiny red dots on your skin). Always allow your body to rest, at least for half an hour, so that the pores close down, and then go for a shower.
  • Have a warm shower if it is too late at night.
  • Watch the temperature of the water before taking a shower. Normally the body accepts temperatures with a difference of maximum 5 degrees. The normal human body temperature is 97°F (36°C). Make sure the water is not too hot or too cold.
Taking a shower is a natural way to revitalize your body and mind. You will not only get good sleep but also stay asleep longer after a shower at night. Some of us are too lazy to follow taking a shower at night, or some have myths about the same. Taking a shower at night surely is my belief of a healthy and clean sleep too.
So I guess that explains it all. Taking a shower at night isn't bad!

radascars

Advisor Member
Wow nice research Cecil! I love it! Thanks for this wonderful information you've got! I didn't know that taking shower is a natural way to revitalize our body and mind! I will take note of this!

Cecil Estrera

Wow nice research Cecil! I love it! Thanks for this wonderful information you've got! I didn't know that taking shower is a natural way to revitalize our body and mind! I will take note of this!
You are most welcome friend! I am glad you liked my research. I do shower too during night time, so I might as well know the facts and myths about it. ;)

Topsecret

I love to take showers at night. I have short hair so it usually doesn't take to long to dry. With the days being so hot it feels good to take a shower and lay my wet head down on a pillow. It helps me fall asleep and in the morning you do feel more refreshed.

Cecil Estrera

I love to take showers at night. I have short hair so it usually doesn't take to long to dry. With the days being so hot it feels good to take a shower and lay my wet head down on a pillow. It helps me fall asleep and in the morning you do feel more refreshed.
Mine is short as well, so I don't have problems with hair drying too.
I find showering at night better than during daytime, for you will only perspire in the rest of the day if you shower early in the morning. Nighttime shower for me is more preferable.

tired

That is funny. Someone on here said it keeps them awake instead of falling asleep - same here!! I need to shower during the day - also, if I go to bed with even my hair damp and it falls around my neck, I get a neck ache. Can't use a pony-tail holder or your know - breakage!!!

apple

Oddly, I've always been told the opposite that showering when you wake up is bad for you.
Showering before going to bed is better. You should scrub off all the pollution before you go to sleep.
Apply toner on a cotton pad to your face and you'll be shocked to see how much pollution is on your skin.

zararina

Coaching Member
I do not think it is bad to have a shower before sleeping cause its been a practice of some other countries or people for a long time. And they still doing this practice until now. Also i am doing it sometimes and there is nothing bad i felt about it.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
I researched in the web and here are the facts that I got:

So I guess that explains it all. Taking a shower at night isn't bad!
This should have debunked the traditional idea that taking a shower before bedtime is bad for health. Of course, if you feel that you are suffering from a certain illness then please don't go and bath yourself just for the sake of taking one. But if you feel you are healthy, then a shower can be a boost to a good night sleep and even a romantic fling on the bed with your partner. It is more relaxing to use warm water for shower on the night.

Cecil Estrera

This should have debunked the traditional idea that taking a shower before bedtime is bad for health. Of course, if you feel that you are suffering from a certain illness then please don't go and bath yourself just for the sake of taking one. But if you feel you are healthy, then a shower can be a boost to a good night sleep and even a romantic fling on the bed with your partner. It is more relaxing to use warm water for shower on the night.
Right, everything depends on you. Just don't abuse yourself whenever you are sick.
Health is more than anything in this world. :)

I read an article the other day and they said a hot shower before bed can actually help you fall asleep. I think it warms the body up and make you feel relaxed and therefore easy to make you feel sleepy.