Self-Discipline Can Be So Difficult

AmazingP

Advisor Member
What is self-discipline? In essence, self-discipline is equivalent to self-control and the capacity or self-will to steer away from the unnecessary excess which always bring some negative results.

In applying self-discipline, we can use this to go against the odds, restraining ourselves from our desires, continuing the things we started, always use rational thinking rather than our emotions, staying on the path we know is right, standing by with our decisions and never be deterred by the demand of our jobs, families and the society.

However, we all know that this is easier said than done. In my youth days, this was one of my main problems. Self-discipline should be developed within each of us though it is really hard.

Cecil Estrera

Yes, as it is "self" right?
As for me, I always maintain a control with myself, specially whenever I think what I am doing is not right or too much to be done.
Self-discipline is very essential ingredient to success, as when you put things to right places, you can definitely achieve it.

zararina

Coaching Member
Yes it it sometimes difficult to have self discipline specially if the motivation of having it is slow. One way of boosting ourselves to have self discipline is telling ourselves that having it would give good results an will help us be a better person.

Chris

Napoleon Hill emphases on self discipline as being very important in achieving success. See his 10 rules for self discipline here:

js14

What is the meaning of discipline and what does it mean to be disciplined? Have you ever asked yourself this question? Can you answer that question? It is hard to perform something (discipline) if you don't know what it is or don't know the dynamics that makes it work.

I never liked most of the definition given to discipline because it doesn't explain how discipline actually works. Here are some definitions in a dictionary of what discipline means:

Discipline -
  1. Training expected to produce a specific character or pattern of behavior, especially training that produces moral or mental environment.
  2. Controlled behavior resulting from disciplinary training; self control.
  3. Control obtained by enforcing compliance or order.
  4. A systematic method to obtain obedience: military discipline
  5. A state of order based on submission to rules and authority: a teacher who demanded discipline in the classroom.
  6. Punishment intended to correct or train.
  7. A set of rules or methods, as those regulating the practice of a church or monastic order.
  8. A branch of knowledge or teaching.
So, knowing the definition of discipline isn't going to help you to perform discipline. Only by understanding how it works may help you perform discipline. So when someone tells you to be disciplined, you keep failing because you don't know exactly what you are suppose to be doing.

You might have heard the analogy that discipline is like a muscle. The more you use it, the more you build it and the more disciplined you become. I don't really like this analogy because it doesn't get to the root of how discipline really works

So let me simplify discipline in a simple formula:

Discipline = Getting it Done (Focus)
D = G (F)
Discipline is simply getting it done, just by doing it (just do it) you have performed discipline. To accomplish an objective is performing discipline. An objective to hit the gym everyday is to show you are performing discipline. Without any interruption to the objective. Accomplishing the objective without a halt. To perform discipline in trading is to accomplish your set objectives/trading plan/set of rules without interruption or derailing. Accomplishing (getting it done) an objective cannot occur without focus (F). You see, you focus your energy to get things done. Focus is the crucial factor in getting things done.

Here are example of failed disciplined:
Failed at losing weight: A person (bob) set an objective to lose weight. One of his goal is to not eat junk food/fast food. He failed because he ended up eating junk food.
Let's analyze what just happened. Bob couldn't get it done because of lack of focus. You could say he gave into temptation. Giving into temptation is losing your focus. Here are some of the things that were going on in Bob's mind (junk food taste so nice, hmmm yummy, just one won't hurt, a feeling of satisfaction). These are distractions that runs through his mind if he is not focused.

A person failing to exercise: I'm tired, I'll do it tomorrow, it's raining, it's cold, it's late, etc....
A person who is lazy: I'll do it later, I don't want to do it, I'm tired, I don't know how, etc...

A Disciplined person: Just do it.
This is the main thought that occupies a disciplined person and usually nothing else.
The bottom line is that a lack of focus leads to excuses and distractions, which will lead to unaccomplished objective (undisciplined).

To achieve Focus requires concentration not to get distracted. To achieve Focus you must eliminate the distractions. Lack of Focus leads to excuses/distractions, which will lead to unaccomplished objective. Getting things done requires a degree of Focus. Getting things done is discipline.

Discipline = Getting it done (Focus)
D = G (F)

When you break it down: Discipline has nothing to do with emotions, but emotions can distract/destroy discipline.

No amount of positive self affirmation is going to get you disciplined or get the job done. Actions (Just Do it) gets the job done... And actions are only triggered by a sharpened Focus (F).

KarenYvonne

The best way to be self disciplined is to increase your motivation to do something. this way you are not forcing yourself to work

Kata

Self-discipline means doing what you committed to do regardless of how you feel. This is a big deal because a lot of people can be counted on to do the great things in life if they feel like it.
Oftentimes, when you wake up, it's as if you want to go straight back to bed. Sometimes, you wake up on the wrong side of the bed, or you have a bad hair day.

How Do You Build Discipline?

The best way to build self-discipline regardless of where you come from, regardless of your experience, regardless of your expectations is to adopt a three-pronged approach. These are based on three fundamental facts. If you approach building discipline from these three avenues, you increase your likelihood of success.
You have to adopt all three. You can't just cherry pick or treat this like some sort of cafeteria. You pick a couple and then you leave the rest behind. That' won't work. You have to adopt all three. That's part of building discipline.

Fundamental Fact #1: Discipline is Like a Muscle
Just like building muscles, discipline needs to be challenged. You need to put a lot of pressure on it. You need to put yourself in situations where you need to exercise it.

Fundamental Fact #2: Discipline Requires Willpower
Willpower is like a block of ice that's given to you.When you work to make sure that you have an adequate starting supply of willpower, and you commit to using it efficiently to maximize discipline, you get optimal results.

Fundamental Fact #3: Mindfulness Helps You Boost Discipline
If you adopt some sort of mindfulness or meditation practice, you can train your mind to work in such a way that you are able to become more disciplined.

'Self-discipline. Get yourslef motivated and learn how to achieve your goals.' by Maxine Hay
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077CWY7TS

whitelotus

Advisor Member
There are a few things that help me with self-discipline. One thing is to not overthink things. I also cut the bs with myself as often as possible. I ask myself "what is the attachment here?" or "why is this so hard?" and I get real with myself. I recognize the mental stories and emotions that are attached to whatever is preventing me from being discliplined and reaching my goals. I used to operate on pure will power which is great but exhausting. Now I work on a deeper level and really do my best to recognize what is going on subconsciously. I also am better at staying relatively objective. Right now I'm struggling with sticking with a very restrictive nutritional protocol for healing. The self discipline has improved over time but isn't quite there yet because when strong cravings hit it's almost like my logical mind gets turned off, haha...I'm starting to catch it though!

James Saint

What is the meaning of discipline and what does it mean to be disciplined? Have you ever asked yourself this question? Can you answer that question? It is hard to perform something (discipline) if you don't know what it is or don't know the dynamics that makes it work.

I never liked most of the definition given to discipline because it doesn't explain how discipline actually works. Here are some definitions in a dictionary of what discipline means:

Discipline -
  1. Training expected to produce a specific character or pattern of behavior, especially training that produces moral or mental environment.
  5. A state of order based on submission to rules and authority: a teacher who demanded discipline in the classroom.
  7. A set of rules or methods, as those regulating the practice of a church or monastic order.
So, knowing the definition of discipline isn't going to help you to perform discipline. Only by understanding how it works may help you perform discipline. So when someone tells you to be disciplined, you keep failing because you don't know exactly what you are suppose to be doing.

You might have heard the analogy that discipline is like a muscle. The more you use it, the more you build it and the more disciplined you become. I don't really like this analogy because it doesn't get to the root of how discipline really works

D = G (F)
Discipline is simply getting it done, just by doing it (just do it) you have performed discipline. To accomplish an objective is performing discipline. An objective to hit the gym everyday is to show you are performing discipline. Without any interruption to the objective. Accomplishing the objective without a halt. To perform discipline in trading is to accomplish your set objectives/trading plan/set of rules without interruption or derailing. Accomplishing (getting it done) an objective cannot occur without focus (F). You see, you focus your energy to get things done. Focus is the crucial factor in getting things done.

Failed at losing weight: A person (bob) set an objective to lose weight. One of his goal is to not eat junk food/fast food. He failed because he ended up eating junk food.
Let's analyze what just happened. Bob couldn't get it done because of lack of focus. You could say he gave into temptation. Giving into temptation is losing your focus. Here are some of the things that were going on in Bob's mind (junk food taste so nice, hmmm yummy, just one won't hurt, a feeling of satisfaction). These are distractions that runs through his mind if he is not focused.

A person failing to exercise: I'm tired, I'll do it tomorrow, it's raining, it's cold, it's late, etc....
A person who is lazy: I'll do it later, I don't want to do it, I'm tired, I don't know how, etc...

This is the main thought that occupies a disciplined person and usually nothing else.

The bottom line is that a lack of focus leads to excuses and distractions, which will lead to unaccomplished objective (undisciplined).

To achieve Focus requires concentration not to get distracted. To achieve Focus you must eliminate the distractions. Lack of Focus leads to excuses/distractions, which will lead to unaccomplished objective. Getting things done requires a degree of Focus. Getting things done is discipline.

D = G (F)

When you break it down: Discipline has nothing to do with emotions, but emotions can distract/destroy discipline.

No amount of positive self affirmation is going to get you disciplined or get the job done. Actions (Just Do it) gets the job done... And actions are only triggered by a sharpened Focus (F).

Discipline -

D = G (F)

D = G (F)

This is an amazing point of view on discipline I 100% agree on that you have a bright mind sir

James Saint

I believe that consistency is a key discipline in everything one chooses to partake in, "repetition is the mother of all learning the, the father of action, which makes it the architect of accomplishment" -Zig Ziglar

Improve all your results here

Sarah Carlson

Advisor Member
Self-discipline is a journey, you will become who you want to be over time by taking small steps, staying focused and staying true to your goals.

Your trust and belief in yourself is one of the most important things in life. You need to be clear in what you want to achieve or you will not know whether you have achieved it or not. Have written goals so you can clearly see what you want to do.

Take one small action every day to achieve your goal, write it in a journal and read your journal every morning as you wake up. You will see the process you are making and be inspired to continue taking small and steady actions towards your desires. This will make self-discipline a habit, as you are consistent in smaller actions over time this will branch out to affect all your life.

Become who you want to be today, just remember it takes time for a seed to become a tree :)