Saying "I Love You"

Milton

I know of someone whose girlfriend demands that he either sends a text saying "I love you" or calls her saying that everyday in the morning.

I'm not sure how that would strengthen the relationship, but I honestly doubt that saying "I love you" without meaning it actually makes the other party feel more loved. Perhaps his girlfriend is just insecure, and by listening to him proclaiming his love day after day, she may feel more secure.

What do you guys think about that?

angela

I think saying "I love you" a day is just a small favor to do for someone that you love. I think doing it everyday is not a big responsibility.

This is my personal opinion only, maybe we women are born to like to hear sweet words. :)

I think it would not strengthen the relationship but it would help. I believe in power of words.

Milton

Really? So you would expect your boyfriend to say that to you regularly?
I'll take note of that. I don't usually talk to my girlfriend in that manner because I find that I only say it when I really mean it. (not that I don't love her, but saying it too often diminishes its value in my opinion)

angela

I'll take note of that. I don't usually talk to my girlfriend in that manner because I find that I only say it when I really mean it. (not that I don't love her, but saying it too often diminishes its value in my opinion)
I would appreciate if he will do it. But if he doesn't , I will not force him. If he doesn't then I will do it for him. :)
Though actions speak louder than voice as others said. I believe every people has a unique way of expressing their love.

iebo

I know of someone whose girlfriend demands that he either sends a text saying "I love you" or calls her saying that everyday in the morning.

I'm not sure how that would strengthen the relationship, but I honestly doubt that saying "I love you" without meaning it actually makes the other party feel more loved. Perhaps his girlfriend is just insecure, and by listening to him proclaiming his love day after day, she may feel more secure.

That's awful. Its awful that she would put the demand on him that he does it. It should be something he wants to say, not something he feels obligated to say. And she is definitely insecure, needing reassurance like that. If he loves her, actions will tell.

beingwell

It's always nice to hear those three words. But you are right, Milton it's better when it comes from the heart. And one would know. At any case, maybe the girl is just playing around??hihihih...

mslianne

Hello, Milton! :)
The scenario you said was a bit funny for me. Demanding someone to say I love you each day isn't such a good idea. I mean, it sounds robotic, though, doesn't it? :D
I love it more whenever my love just says I love you randomly. Like, one time, I was telling a joke, and before I said the punchline, my love just blurted out I love you. I don't know about you, but that made me blush. ;)
Needless to say, I forgot what the punchline was. :p

radascars

Advisor Member
If you really love your partner, you feel comfortable enough to gaze into his/her eyes when you express your feelings. Making eye contact shows sincerity and communicates trust. Even though there are probably a few inches between your faces, it should feel like there is nothing between yourselves, not even air. The amount you can say "I love you" with your eyes is astonishing.

speedy

Advisor Member
I like when my husband said " I love you" to me and he always said it everybody. I guess, saying " I love you" to your partner not to be forceful but it will just flow between couples. It can be in the middle of your conversation about wars, horrors, life, etc. Of course, women love to hear this word again and again.:) and I admit that I love hearing this word from my hubby ?)

clauemi

There are many ways to show you love someone without having to say the words. Saying I Love Your should be something given voluntarily not asked for.

radascars

Advisor Member
There are many ways to show you love someone without having to say the words. Saying I Love Your should be something given voluntarily not asked for.
And what are those ways to show you love someone without saying "Iloveyou"?

fsxss

And what are those ways to show you love someone without saying "Iloveyou"?
I'd say almost anything you do with your significant other can be a way of showing them you love them. Listen to their problems everyday, congratulate them on their successes, motivate them when they fail, give them full attention when you're both spending time together, call them from time to time just to say hello when you're away from each other, share your own achievements and secrets, etc.

I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea. You don't need to tell them constantly "I love you", because constant support and affection will show your love in a less obvious but more true and lasting way.

Cecil Estrera

For me, saying "I love you" is really meaningful if you say it to the ones who you love whole-heartedly. You don't say it just to please them. You say it to let them know that they are loved and you mean it. I feel happy when my husband tells those words to me, even if I don't show it. :)

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
Really? Saying 'I love you' diminishes the value of the saying? I didn't know that. That's not my experience.

Though maybe it's different for a guy.

To me, there is NO such thing as ever saying, "I love you" too much, no matter who you are saying it to. However, I'm in a VERY long term relationship so I try to say, "I love you" whenever possible to always let him know that I still care even after all this time. I'm always surprised that he is still happy to hear it even after all these years. He has never gotten tired of it. In fact, when I'm talking to him on the phone, I close out EVERY discussion with "I love you". And, he says the same thing back. We still mean it.

Even if your girlfriend doesn't ask you to say, "I love you,", most likely she wants to hear it. Lots!

You can be casual with how you say it, if that makes you more comfortable like, "Love ya, babe" or "Talk to you later, love you too." or something like that. It doesn't have to be the heaviest emotional deal when you say it and maybe that will take the pressure off you and you won't rub the shiny off the phrase.

cold_00

Really? Wow that was some request she made.. lol. Given that girls are understandably more mushy than men, this still surprises me.. I don't know if I'm just different or something, but I prefer hearing that randomly, like probably after laughing so hard together or while sharing a meal, I mean, I don't want it to be something he says to me out of habit, or because he knows I expect to see those words everyday in the morning.

JamJam

" Action speaks louder than words." I prefer to show his love to me on his actions.
It is a question of sincerity if he meant it when he says, " I love you".

rose banks

For others it's hard to say "I love you" even if they mean it. They think it's a subtraction to their masochism.

marlinealcott

My boyfriend and I say "I love you" hundreds of times a day. Literally. I tried counting once and lost track after 50 something, lol.

We mean it, though. It's just natural for us to say it that many times. We said "I love you" before we even met in person (we met online). It was weird, because usually in the past I've been freaked out by those words and it seemed like this huge deal to say them, but with this guy, for whatever reason, I just loved him and he loved me, right away. I really believe in soul mates/past lives and stuff and I feel we knew each other before we even met in this life. It's weird, but we just love each other! We've actually had a rougher-than-usual relationship too, we've even broke up a few times and had some nasty fights. But that love is always there.

Having to ask or demand your partner say it is just weird, to me. I wouldn't think that would be an ideal relationship.

Alisha Robinson

It never hurts to remind the person you love how you feel. I think it's important for people who are in a relationship to tell each other that they love the other but to also SHOW that they love them. Forcing someone to tell you they love you isn't a great way to do that. He shouldn't have to say it every day because of her insecurities, if he doesn't feel the meaning behind the words then the words mean nothing. Love isn't one of those fake it till you make it things, you either love the person or you don't.

I also can't imagine how he would feel being told he needs to tell her he loves her daily. Does he love her? Does that constant nagging decrease his feelings behind those words?
I also don't see how that would help her self esteem if I had to tell my husband to tell me he loved me daily I don't think I would feel very loved afterwards. IMO

Just for the record though, 'I love you' is a very regular statement in my marriage. It's the first thing we say to each other in the morning and the last thing we say at night. He has always been willing to show and tell me how he feels and that was not something I was used to or comfortable with ... in the beginning. I think him telling me he loved me so much (and wanting to without me asking or expecting) helped me to trust in him and our relationship.

bneil

Saying it doesn't matter as long as you are doing your best to show your love to someone you really care for.