Running in circles

stevechoco

I realized about 5 years ago that I have to change.
It's always the same: I want to change something. Try it. Improve (or often get even worse). And after a while I end up being in the same position I was before. Except that I lost time.
Anyone know this?
Anyone got tips for that?

MyBigVictory

In five years you must have learned a lot. Recording those lessons would be an asset to you. Take some time to reflect on what you have accomplished.
Realizing all that time ago that changes needed to occur in your life was a huge obstacle overcome. Looking inward for solutions to your problems is a step most people never take. You should congratulate yourself for that.
Now that you have this time behind you, you should record your wins for these past years. You should be amazed on how much you've gotten done. This will be an eye-opener for you.

Find 5 sheets of notebook paper.
1.) At the top of each one, write the year for each of the years you spent improving yourself (2016, 2017, ect.)
2.) As subheadings write down at least three goals or projects you attempted to complete that year.
2a.) Under each one of those write down the people that you met or contacted in the course of attempting to complete that project.
2b.) Next, write down any books you read, instructional videos you watched, or books you read in relation to this task
2c.) Write down applicable lessons you learned from these projects.
3.) Write down the victories you took away from all of this "lost time."
4.) Contact some of the people that you think could help you further.
5.) Make a new plan for this year, using your valuable real-world experience.

If you do this exercise, you will have physical evidence that this time has been productive. You're very courageous to have reached out for help. Take what you have learned, and keep moving forward.

You've done well! Give yourself a big pat on the back!!

denydritz

Coaching Member
Hi Steve, what was it you were (or are still) trying to change?

Ending up in the same position as before can be an effect of not giving enough effort.

I don't know how much effort you gave, and I don't mean to underestimate it, but often times, we need to spend much more effort than we initially thought to reach our goals.

Not only that, we often have a "secondary goal" of wanting to reach a goal but with a certain amount of effort. Once we reach that arbitrary amount of effort, but our goal hasn't been reached, then it's easy to give up.

The desire to give only a certain amount of effort can be bigger than the desire to reach the actual goal. Once we realize this, we can dissolve that secondary goal, and be relentless in pursuing our main goal, regardless of how much effort it will take.