Religious Differences in Relationship

radascars

Advisor Member
Is your Religion is a big factor in your relationship?
If you love someone and you know that you are in different beliefs when it comes to your religion, would you give up your own belief and show to her/him that you are willing to sacrifice that for the sake of your relationship and love?

What do you think?
Is your Religion really a factor?

I want to know more insights and opinions.

speedy

Advisor Member
I believed that it depends on the couple. As we knew and heard that it is really one of the big issue affecting the relationship, especially the marriage. Me and my husband have a different religion but we have the same belief. I guess, we can handle it hopefully.

Religion is one of the reason why my hubby and his ex-wife had a divorced. His ex-wife family are very devoted to their religion and my husband not to the religion but about his faith in Jesus. It was his ex who filed the divorced. So, in some point, maybe its a factor in a relationship.

Would love to hear also from the opinions from the other forum members here:)

clauemi

Well that depends on loyalty to your religion. If someone is loyal and honestly serves God then they will not trade their beliefs over a relationship. It's not like God gives you an in-between choice, it's either right or wrong, hell or heaven. If you want to have kids in the future than definitely marry within your religion or you will be miserable when you and your spouse are trying to teach kids about God.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
I believed that it depends on the couple. As we knew and heard that it is really one of the big issue affecting the relationship, especially the marriage. Me and my husband have a different religion but we have the same belief. I guess, we can handle it hopefully.

Religion is one of the reason why my hubby and his ex-wife had a divorced. His ex-wife family are very devoted to their religion and my husband not to the religion but about his faith in Jesus. It was his ex who filed the divorced. So, in some point, maybe its a factor in a relationship.

Would love to hear also from the opinions from the other forum members here:)
You've made such an excellent point about this and something I had not considered before. Many times the man and woman will share a different religion but revere Jesus or share a common religious figure and that is the tying bond of their marriage.

If you don't share at least that in the marriage, then I think you could be headed for trouble. If your spouse did not believe in Jesus, then you would have trouble convincing him he should or that you should be allowed to keep your religious beliefs separate from his. And, that happens in many marriages.

To answer the original question, no I would not change my religion or fundamental beliefs to suit my spouse, not even for love.

Thankfully, I don't have to change anything cause me and him both believe in Jesus and that is the basis of our faith and religion. We are both non-denominational. That helps us blend our differences which are more matters of interpretation and not ideological or fundamental differences.

radascars

Advisor Member
Thanks for sharing your views regarding about this matter, I guess a lot of people consider their religion in their relationship before getting married. It is really hard to give up your own belief just to be together with your love one and in the end you find your self unsatisfied and dishonest about your beliefs.

Thanks again guys this really help me a lot. :) Hope more members here share their ideas and views.

Thorium

I agree with speedy. What they said is quite an accurate answer to your question if you're looking for a general answer.

Let me share my personal experience with you. My ex was a Muslim and I'm ..well, agnostic but from a very Hindu background. We never had a problem because of difference in religious beliefs. Mind you, most old Muslims are very anti-Hindu, and so were her parents. They didn't know she was dating a Hindu guy.. But if they had, they'd have totally freaked out. She told me they completely despised Hindus, and she wasn't allowed to even have Hindu friends. But that wasn't the reason for our break-up and we just thought we'd deal with a situation like that when we'll have to. I recently read in News about how an Arabic father KILLED her daughter simply because she was dating a white guy.

Anyway, were there any direct problems between us because of our religious differences? Not really. As long as you can respect the other person's beliefs and thinking, and if you truly love them, religious difference is a pretty minor thing.

beingwell

I have no actual experience with this type of dilemma. But I know friends who changed their religions in order to be with someone. I see nothing wrong in that. It just shows how strong one's belief is and how important religion is to him/her. Even so, such is not a reason to judge someone's personality or well-being. At the end of the day, what matters is that s/he is happy with her/his decision.

radascars

Advisor Member

I agree with speedy. What they said is quite an accurate answer to your question if you're looking for a general answer.

Let me share my personal experience with you. My ex was a Muslim and I'm ..well, agnostic but from a very Hindu background. We never had a problem because of difference in religious beliefs. Mind you, most old Muslims are very anti-Hindu, and so were her parents. They didn't know she was dating a Hindu guy.. But if they had, they'd have totally freaked out. She told me they completely despised Hindus, and she wasn't allowed to even have Hindu friends. But that wasn't the reason for our break-up and we just thought we'd deal with a situation like that when we'll have to. I recently read in News about how an Arabic father KILLED her daughter simply because she was dating a white guy.

Anyway, were there any direct problems between us because of our religious differences? Not really. As long as you can respect the other person's beliefs and thinking, and if you truly love them, religious difference is a pretty minor thing.
Nice story you have there, I am a Catholic and my ex girlfriend is an Iglesia ni Cristo (INC). My ex's parents are very strict when it comes to her boyfriend so somehow we have the same experience.

How did you end up your relationship Thorium?

I have no actual experience with this type of dilemma. But I know friends who changed their religions in order to be with someone. I see nothing wrong in that. It just shows how strong one's belief is and how important religion is to him/her. Even so, such is not a reason to judge someone's personality or well-being. At the end of the day, what matters is that s/he is happy with her/his decision.
I agree with you at some point giving up certain beliefs just to be with your lover is good and nothing is really wrong with that. :)

Cecil Estrera

In my situation, my husband and I have different religions. But he is more than willing to join mine. Which is great for the two of us. Maybe he also thinks that my religion is going to do good in him.

radascars

Advisor Member
Hi there Cecil, would you mind telling us what's your religion is and your husband's?

I believe your husband really loves you as he is willing to give up his own beliefs just to be with you. I admire him for doing that as I know the feeling of sacrificing just to be with someone. :)

Cecil Estrera

Hi there Cecil, would you mind telling us what's your religion is and your husband's?

I believe your husband really loves you as he is willing to give up his own beliefs just to be with you. I admire him for doing that as I know the feeling of sacrificing just to be with someone. :)
My religion is Iglesia Ni Cristo and my husband's is Roman Catholic.
Yeah I agree with you. That's a really noble way to do for a man to switch beliefs for a girl.
And I think only a few men would do such thing.

radascars

Advisor Member
My ex-girlfriend is INC too and I am a non-practicing Roman Catholic. Our religion is a big factor in our relationship that's why I also gave up my own belief that time but I guess it didn't work out and its really painful to me.

I am very glad that your relationship works. :)

Cecil Estrera

My ex-girlfriend is INC too and I am a non-practicing Roman Catholic. Our religion is a big factor in our relationship that's why I also gave up my own belief that time but I guess it didn't work out and its really painful to me.

I am very glad that your relationship works. :)
Ouch that must be really painful. Sorry to hear that.
But focus on the good side friend, maybe you are really not meant for each other and a better one will come along soon.

radascars

Advisor Member
Ouch that must be really painful. Sorry to hear that.
But focus on the good side friend, maybe you are really not meant for each other and a better one will come along soon.
If you believe in true love that's what I felt when I started loving her. Its been three years since our painful break up but I can still say that the love I have for her is always in my heart. I do have my girlfriend now and I love her. I am happy now and its been a good experience for me. :)

JamJam

My husband is a devoted Roman Catholic and I am a Seventh Day Adventist.
Religion has never be an issue for us.
Sometimes, I go with my husband on the Catholic Church and sometimes he goes with me.
If you love each other, religion is not a problem.

moon

I believe that if you truly love each other, then religion would not be a factor in your relationship. In my relationships, the topic religion never or almost never comes out. I always believe that loves surpasses everything even religion.

Cecil Estrera

If you believe in true love that's what I felt when I started loving her. Its been three years since our painful break up but I can still say that the love I have for her is always in my heart. I do have my girlfriend now and I love her. I am happy now and its been a good experience for me. :)
Oh I see. Good for you then. I am happy for you :)

radascars

Advisor Member
My husband is a devoted Roman Catholic and I am a Seventh Day Adventist.
Religion has never be an issue for us.
Sometimes, I go with my husband on the Catholic Church and sometimes he goes with me.
If you love each other, religion is not a problem.
Is this allowed in your Religion? I don't know much about Seventh Day Adventist but its good to know that both of you never gave up your own religion and still your relationship is working. :)

sepia_majesty

Is your Religion is a big factor in your relationship?
If you love someone and you know that you are in different beliefs when it comes to your religion, would you give up your own belief and show to her/him that you are willing to sacrifice that for the sake of your relationship and love?

What do you think?
Is your Religion really a factor?

I want to know more insights and opinions.
Religion is a very, very significant matter for me. I would never be in a relationship with, and certainly not marry, someone who is not Christian. My faith is foundational for me, and I think a love for Christ is essential for both partners in a marriage. The Bible says it would not be obedient to God to be married to a non-Christian (unless the two weren't Christian when they first wed and one became Christian later). It's nonnegotiable, in my opinion. I'd also have to consider my family. Any children born into the marriage might be confused if a parent didn't love Christ, so I wouldn't want that for them. It's important for me to have a Christian household, if I choose to marry.

zararina

Coaching Member
I also think that it could be a factor but if there is love and respect, it was very possible to have a good relationship together. Respect on each others belief is very important since religion is a matter of beliefs, preference and faith. And I do believe that there are some religions that just having different names or ways to honor God but pertaining to just one God who created all.