Reading

Matt

Who finds themselves reading in their free time? I sometimes do. I think it is a great way to spend your time. Reading can take you to another world and it can even teach. Most of the stuff you will learn in your life will come from reading. As my dad would say, readers are leaders!!

SDavis2702

I don't read as much as I would like to. Instead of doing it in my free time, I tend to do it in between tasks where I don't have a lot of time. I usually spend all of my free time trying to make something happen!

One thing I do to still get the information is buy audio books. I listen to them in my truck and I call it "Drive Time University." This way, I can learn and commute at the same time. I know it's not the same as having a book in front of you but I think it's a nice way to get some quality information as opposed to music.

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
I listen to audio books fairly often when driving also. It makes good use of otherwise wasted time, and helps eliminate any frustration when traffic gets really bad. I finally got an iPad and read all sorts of stuff on that while at home, there is so much available that it can be hard to decide what to look at.

SDavis2702

Exactly! The audio books turn committed time into flexible time and I like that. You can't do much of anything while driving. Audio books are a great way to make use of that time.

zararina

Coaching Member
I do not read a lot but whenever i see an interesting article or a book, i will read it. There are really lots of things and information that we could get from reading and understanding what we read. It could make a person be broad minded and know important facts that could be useful for him in the future.

Matt

I don't read as much as I would like to. Instead of doing it in my free time, I tend to do it in between tasks where I don't have a lot of time. I usually spend all of my free time trying to make something happen!

One thing I do to still get the information is buy audio books. I listen to them in my truck and I call it "Drive Time University." This way, I can learn and commute at the same time. I know it's not the same as having a book in front of you but I think it's a nice way to get some quality information as opposed to music.
That seems like a good way to get some information while driving. When I was a kid, that is what I would listen to in the car, but now I kind of prefer to listen to music. In my opinion, it calms you down a lot more and I don't feel like I am in a rush. I have a nice car, so I don't want to ever be in a rush otherwise I may crash!!

diamondlisa

I love this idea and use it every chance I get. My friends have actually laughed and called me a knowledge geek because of it. Nice to know I'm not the only "geek" out there.

speedy

Advisor Member
Who finds themselves reading in their free time? I sometimes do. I think it is a great way to spend your time. Reading can take you to another world and it can even teach. Most of the stuff you will learn in your life will come from reading. As my dad would say, readers are leaders!!
I love Reading. When I was in school, I considered the library and books as my best friend. We lived in the province so no daily newspaper. Every time my mother went to the market the things she bought were wrapped in an old newspaper. My siblings were very excited for the bread that my mother brought home but I am excited with the newspapers. I love reading since I know how to read Tagalog and English. When I was in 4th year high school, the librarian entrusted me the library key because I am always in the library every time she will open and close the library (that's before and after my class). I have a bunch of books were I bought in a book fair, I also subscribed to Readers Digest, Asia. I feel like I traveled around the world when I am reading. Indeed, reading very helpful and educate us in some ways. But my addiction in reading when I was young affected my eyes, since we don't have electricity in the house and only using a kerosene lamp. I still love to read until now.

SDavis2702

I love this idea and use it every chance I get. My friends have actually laughed and called me a knowledge geek because of it. Nice to know I'm not the only "geek" out there.
I love being called a geek and getting laughed at! I think that's their way of saying "Wow. You really have a thirst for knowledge. I don't, though, so let me make myself feel better by attempting to bring you down here with me." :)

radascars

Advisor Member
When I was in my college days I always read read and read medical related topics for me to absorb lots of knowledge when it comes to health and wellness. But now that I am free from school evaluation or something like that I tend to read magazines and newspaper when I have time. Usually I read current events and entertainment news to update my self from what is happening around me :D

I don't get use to read novels or stories like that :(

nmhalverson

I love reading. I've always surrounded myself with books, whether it be my collection at home or spending time in the library. I don't read nearly as often as I'd like to, but I always seem to make time right before bed. I'll read almost anything I can get my hands on and it's typically at least an hour a day.

A

artistry

Books are great, there is so much information in them. You are able to travel vacariously, whereever the subject matter takes you. Reading books is one of my greatest joys, since I was very young. Instead of going to sleep, when my parents would cut out the lights, I would be under the covers, with a flashlight and my book. I love books, I collect them, they are all over my house. I have gotten addicted to the internet and don't read my books, as much as I used to, but they are still one of the greatest inventions ever, in my opinion. Cheers.

summerRain

I love to read. I usually read fantasy novels or inspirational books. I am not into ebooks anyway. I love reading a book, an actual book. Romance is also one of my favorite genre and I usually read during my free time.

Jonathan Gentry

I read this one book - The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson and he recommends reading just ten pages in a personal development book every day.

The aim of his book was to convince the reader that those small, sustainable changes make such a huge impast over time.

Think about it like this - After a month you have finished an entire book and in a year you've read 12 and so on. In just three years you become an expert in personal development.

It really is those small sustainable changes that can make all the difference. :)

K1nS03

I have to admit, i'm a bookworm! hehe. I have recently got myself a new mobile which allows me to read ebooks on, so I buy alot of my ebooks from the kobo website for quite cheap. I have found my reading traits are changing now and i'm opening up to more different genres of books. I used to only read chick lit, but now i'm really into thriller/mystery :D

ayedsena

I love to read, it is my favorite hobby. I have the Nook Color. I also prefer the feel and smell of a real book. I love to read about true things that happened, from funny to very serious.

buroo

It is generally said the best friend of a man is books and those who are hooked to reading know very much how true is that statement. Not only would you spend quality time by reading rather than wasting in watching some mindless shows on TV or doing something else unproductive but you would also nurture your thought and evaluation process. But also one must be selective while reading as there are many redundant stuff in that arena as well.

IsabelleChan

I LOVE reading books. It's one of my favorite hobbies. I've been a avid reader all my life and reading has opened up a new world for me to explore. It's an amazing feeling when you are literally transferred to another world which you will probably never reach in reality. Reading not only broadens our horizons, but it also enriches our spirituality. It basically tells you everything about life, and what people you should cherish. Books that dwell on real facts and actual events are even more poignant and worth reading. Some of my favorite books are the Meditations, the Feminine Mystique, the Second Sex, Clear Light of Day and the Essays.

sute

I've always been very interested in reading since I was a young kid. I read quite a lot, maybe 4 hours a day minimum. I mostly read non-fiction now. When I was younger I really enjoyed books like Lord Of The Rings etc, but these days fiction really doesn't interest me or hold my attention at all, I'm not sure what changed.

daisyhongjuly

I read all the time - as much as possible. I am also a radiophile and love books on tape, This American Life, Snap Judgement, bbc plsys radiolab and anything else good. But reading is the BEST!