Question about laziness and need feedback on my current mindset

psdev

Hello, everyone, I have a question relating to laziness. I notice that when I get home from work and when I need to sit down I just feel lazy/low energy. It's tasks that I sorta would rather not to but I must for my goals. I have also noticed recently when I sit down I feel lazy. My question is, do you believe this a mindset issue that needs addressing because in my head I look at it as "I can't be bothered". Usually I say to myself "I want to do this", to make things easier and it does work. But the feeling is still sort of there.

I just feel heavy sitting down and low energy in general.

Also the feedback I was looking for, relates to the laziness issue. I don't put 100% into everything I do because I feel like it's a waste of energy. I only do it where I know it's important, or where I think it's important. I tell myself "I will be lazy here" in a low end task. But high end task I will still feel lazy but will put 100% because I see the value. What do you think of this mindset, is it bad or good? I had a theory maybe I was lazy because I didn't put effort into everything and that way I am building laziness that way.

lifesupplys

It is just a matter of working to get your energy to shift to want you want to do. Do this by developing a daily routine so you can practice gaining better control over your energies. Its best to just do what fits your schedule no matter how small it is and put your all into it.

Gio

I agree with Todd and lifesupplys.
First of all, if you say "I will be lazy here"; you'll be that! So, get out this thought by your head.
Then..
It' important identify which are the first three most important points fo you, from the most important to the least and work on those.
Now, allow me to give you some advice.
- Exercise: the easiest thing is to do a run or even just walk. The important thing is to do it
- Sleep: sometimes just a little healthy rest is enough
- Eat well: good food, possibly in company
- Take care of your spirit: meditate, pray, do spiritual exercises ... anything that can make you feel better

Hey psdev,

It sounds more like you're suffering from a lack of purpose than lack of ambition. The fact that you're setting goals is great! It's also great that you tell yourself "I want to do this". It's important to amp yourself up.

I suppose my question is, do you have a "why" for your goals?

I noticed that you said: "It's tasks that I sorta would rather not to but I must for my goals." There are many tasks associated with my goals that I do not look forward to doing, but I see how they fit into the big picture of my goals.

My goals are so important to me and I'm so excited to achieve them that it makes those smaller tasks worth doing.

Are you excited about your goals and, if so, why do you want to achieve them? What's the outcome?

If you want to read more about how having a why is important, please feel free to check out my blog over at Daily New Years.

Last edited:

denydritz

Coaching Member
Hi @psdev When you say you have low energy, it sounds like there could be a problem with your eating habits. Besides, our thinking habits, what we eat greatly affects our energy levels. Low energy manifests as laziness.

How do you eat, if you don't mind sharing? Do you eat more clean, healthy food, or do your eat more junk and fast food? Exercise is something to consider also, but food is the biggest factor to low energy problems.

Assuming your diet is excellent, then laziness is an indication of lack of clarity, or lack of purpose like austinbollinger says. Has there ever been a time in your life where you had absolute clarity of purpose, something you were so sure about that it made you keep moving?

When we are absolutely clear about the benefit of a certain task, then I believe we won't be lazy. But if we aren't clear about the benefits, or we think it sounds like a good idea (but not that much), then of course we will feel lazy.

psdev

I agree with Todd and lifesupplys.
First of all, if you say "I will be lazy here"; you'll be that! So, get out this thought by your head.
Then..
It' important identify which are the first three most important points fo you, from the most important to the least and work on those.
Now, allow me to give you some advice.
- Exercise: the easiest thing is to do a run or even just walk. The important thing is to do it
- Sleep: sometimes just a little healthy rest is enough
- Eat well: good food, possibly in company
- Take care of your spirit: meditate, pray, do spiritual exercises ... anything that can make you feel better
Hi Gio. So basically i say that ONLY to tasks that i do not deem important like for example mowing the lawn. Not to work i have to do. Work that i must do i push myself to do it like my goalsm is this a bad mindset?

psdev

Hi @psdev When you say you have low energy, it sounds like there could be a problem with your eating habits. Besides, our thinking habits, what we eat greatly affects our energy levels. Low energy manifests as laziness.

How do you eat, if you don't mind sharing? Do you eat more clean, healthy food, or do your eat more junk and fast food? Exercise is something to consider also, but food is the biggest factor to low energy problems.

Assuming your diet is excellent, then laziness is an indication of lack of clarity, or lack of purpose like austinbollinger says. Has there ever been a time in your life where you had absolute clarity of purpose, something you were so sure about that it made you keep moving?

When we are absolutely clear about the benefit of a certain task, then I believe we won't be lazy. But if we aren't clear about the benefits, or we think it sounds like a good idea (but not that much), then of course we will feel lazy.
Id say my diet isnt the best. Im pretty skinny but i hardly eat fruit. I ewt more homemade stuff like sausage rolls, soup, rice with chicken, spaghetti carbonara/bolegenese. Junk food like ice cream, milo, oreas, chocolate yoghurt etc.

Gio

Hi Gio. So basically i say that ONLY to tasks that i do not deem important like for example mowing the lawn. Not to work i have to do. Work that i must do i push myself to do it like my goalsm is this a bad mindset?
I mean that the positive mindset keeps you going. It enables you to look at the positives of all situations and it helps you to visualize your goals, ultimately resulting it reaching them.

Start to identify which are the first three most important thinghs for you, from the most important to the least, to reach for every day.
These will be your focus points and you have to work on them.

daz1056

I'd say what you're experiencing is normal, people in general are naturally lazy, the difference between those who are perceived as not being lazy is the value they assign the the task as you alluded in the OP. Productive people will often not do the low value task at all and bin it completely.

If you want to feel less lazy try reassessing the value you give to a task and schedule the important ones, bin the rest and try not to let it bother you.

Great comments, everyone! I agree that things like diet, exercise, getting enough sleep, and especially mindset can all be contributing factors.

I have one more thought to share and that is about working with your natural circadian rhythms. We all have peaks and valleys in our energy level and mental acuity throughout the day. Some of us are morning people, others are night-owls. The bottom line is, unlike computers, we are not able to produce a high level of output at all times.

I'd suggest that if your energy is typically low after a long day at work this is simply not the right time to pursue your goals. In addition to all the great suggestions above, you might also identify the times of day that you have the most energy and mental sharpness and intentionally devote that time to pursuing your goals. That way, you'll be investing your precious energy into the things that matter to you most. Good luck!

DayProv

Advisor Member
Hello, everyone, I have a question relating to laziness. I notice that when I get home from work and when I need to sit down I just feel lazy/low energy. It's tasks that I sorta would rather not to but I must for my goals. I have also noticed recently when I sit down I feel lazy. My question is, do you believe this a mindset issue that needs addressing because in my head I look at it as "I can't be bothered". Usually I say to myself "I want to do this", to make things easier and it does work. But the feeling is still sort of there.

I just feel heavy sitting down and low energy in general.

Also the feedback I was looking for, relates to the laziness issue. I don't put 100% into everything I do because I feel like it's a waste of energy. I only do it where I know it's important, or where I think it's important. I tell myself "I will be lazy here" in a low end task. But high end task I will still feel lazy but will put 100% because I see the value. What do you think of this mindset, is it bad or good? I had a theory maybe I was lazy because I didn't put effort into everything and that way I am building laziness that way.
Hey @psdev,
there are more things that could cause your laziness problem.

1. Sleeping - do you sleep enough? It´s "famous" recently, that people say they don´t need to sleep enough. They can sleep only 4-5 hours. Well, it´s true, people can live with that, but in the long term, it always causes a decrease in cognitive functions, fatigue, and stress. So firstly, try to look and optimize your sleeping cycles.

2. Mornings - how do you spend your morning? The first hour of your day determines the rest of the day. in the past, I didn´t believe this but it´s 100% true. After I did my research on morning routines of the most successful and productive people in the world I found out that they all do almost the same things in the morning. If you´re interested find here what they do and what you should do too in the morning for having more energy and higher performance.

3. Mindset - I think the problem could also be in your mindset. If you look at little children, they´re always full of energy. Because they love what they do, they´re curious. Do you love what you do? Do you think you live your life with purpose? If not, this is the problem for 100%.

4. Big Outcome - if #3 isn´t your problem and you know what your purpose is, and yet you feel tired sometimes try to keep in mind your Big goal. Something, that keeps you motivated and focused and force you to get 100% in every activity of your life. Because, when you´re not getting 100%, you´re not making a progress, when you´re not making progress, you´re not happy. When you´re not happy, you feel tired and lazy all the time.

Try to optimize these 4 things and when you have any further questions, you can write to me anytime and I hope I´ll be able to help :)

psdev

Hey @psdev,
there are more things that could cause your laziness problem.

1. Sleeping - do you sleep enough? It´s "famous" recently, that people say they don´t need to sleep enough. They can sleep only 4-5 hours. Well, it´s true, people can live with that, but in the long term, it always causes a decrease in cognitive functions, fatigue, and stress. So firstly, try to look and optimize your sleeping cycles.

2. Mornings - how do you spend your morning? The first hour of your day determines the rest of the day. in the past, I didn´t believe this but it´s 100% true. After I did my research on morning routines of the most successful and productive people in the world I found out that they all do almost the same things in the morning. If you´re interested find here what they do and what you should do too in the morning for having more energy and higher performance.

3. Mindset - I think the problem could also be in your mindset. If you look at little children, they´re always full of energy. Because they love what they do, they´re curious. Do you love what you do? Do you think you live your life with purpose? If not, this is the problem for 100%.

4. Big Outcome - if #3 isn´t your problem and you know what your purpose is, and yet you feel tired sometimes try to keep in mind your Big goal. Something, that keeps you motivated and focused and force you to get 100% in every activity of your life. Because, when you´re not getting 100%, you´re not making a progress, when you´re not making progress, you´re not happy. When you´re not happy, you feel tired and lazy all the time.

Try to optimize these 4 things and when you have any further questions, you can write to me anytime and I hope I´ll be able to help :)
1. Well I get around 7.5 - 8 hours of sleep and tired as hell for work in the morning but on weekends it's fine.

2. How do I spend it? Well in the morning I wake up 20 minutes before I leave and just eat and head off. On the weekends I'll start doing my musical practice, and try work on my business stuff but it falls short due to uncertainty.

3. It could very well be the mindset, I've heard one person say to me "You are tired because you say you are tired", I think that's rubbish. But at the same time if I do stuff that I like to do like playing video games, I am not tired to do that, so it's interesting.

4. I definitely can't say that I am motivated towards my goal because the work itself is boring, and I sometimes have problems doing work that I sort of want to do, I still need to push myself.

DayProv

Advisor Member
1. Well I get around 7.5 - 8 hours of sleep and tired as hell for work in the morning but on weekends it's fine.

2. How do I spend it? Well in the morning I wake up 20 minutes before I leave and just eat and head off. On the weekends I'll start doing my musical practice, and try work on my business stuff but it falls short due to uncertainty.

3. It could very well be the mindset, I've heard one person say to me "You are tired because you say you are tired", I think that's rubbish. But at the same time if I do stuff that I like to do like playing video games, I am not tired to do that, so it's interesting.

4. I definitely can't say that I am motivated towards my goal because the work itself is boring, and I sometimes have problems doing work that I sort of want to do, I still need to push myself.
I think your #1 focus right now needs to be to properly set your goals. It all comes from your lack of motivation.

If you aren´t motivated you are tired even after 8 hours of regular sleep. If you don´t see the big outcome, you are in a bad mindset.

But don´t underestimate the mornings. Almost every person who´s happy, successful have a strong morning routine. On average they wake up 3 hours BEFORE they leave for work. You can´t be prepared for your day, whether physically or mentally if you wake up 20 minutes before you leave.

There is a lot to improve, but as I said, start with defining your goals in a way that drives you + start on developing your morning routine. Morning is the time, that determines the direction of the rest of your day.

If you want to, I have a Free Ebook I created containing 7 activities successful people do in the morning every day. Feel free to check it out here, find what you like and stick with it. Your motivation, productivity, and happiness will go up exponentially.

I hope it helps if you want to help with your goal setting and mind setting process, check out my Free 4-day training (in the signature) where I explain in detail how to set up your goals so they empower you.

I know this post is a bit old, but I felt compelled to share my thoughts. Everyone here has made some really great suggestions.
I know from experience that for me laziness often stems from a deep rooted unhappiness with something in my life. So see if you can find the root of the laziness. Are you feeling fulfilled with your job? What else is going on in your life? Do you have fulfilling relationships?
Sometimes feeling the pressure or unhappiness of a job leads to laziness when you leave the day behind you. Find something that brings joy to your life and focus on that.
Then set some small measurable goals that are super attainable. The power of the mind and feeling that success will continue to motivate you to move forward and tackle that laziness.
Best of Luck :)

psdev

I think your #1 focus right now needs to be to properly set your goals. It all comes from your lack of motivation.

If you aren´t motivated you are tired even after 8 hours of regular sleep. If you don´t see the big outcome, you are in a bad mindset.

But don´t underestimate the mornings. Almost every person who´s happy, successful have a strong morning routine. On average they wake up 3 hours BEFORE they leave for work. You can´t be prepared for your day, whether physically or mentally if you wake up 20 minutes before you leave.

There is a lot to improve, but as I said, start with defining your goals in a way that drives you + start on developing your morning routine. Morning is the time, that determines the direction of the rest of your day.

If you want to, I have a Free Ebook I created containing 7 activities successful people do in the morning every day. Feel free to check it out here, find what you like and stick with it. Your motivation, productivity, and happiness will go up exponentially.

I hope it helps if you want to help with your goal setting and mind setting process, check out my Free 4-day training (in the signature) where I explain in detail how to set up your goals so they empower you.
I do wake up 20 minutes before work, there is NO WAY I could wake up 3 hours before it's just not possible/sustainable in the long-term. Reason is I need 8 hours of sleep, even then I am tired as hell in the morning, every morning, and there is no use going bed earlier because I'll never fall asleep, and even if I do magically I will literally have NO time to do anything after work, so it doesn't work out.

psdev

I know this post is a bit old, but I felt compelled to share my thoughts. Everyone here has made some really great suggestions.
I know from experience that for me laziness often stems from a deep rooted unhappiness with something in my life. So see if you can find the root of the laziness. Are you feeling fulfilled with your job? What else is going on in your life? Do you have fulfilling relationships?
Sometimes feeling the pressure or unhappiness of a job leads to laziness when you leave the day behind you. Find something that brings joy to your life and focus on that.
Then set some small measurable goals that are super attainable. The power of the mind and feeling that success will continue to motivate you to move forward and tackle that laziness.
Best of Luck :)
My job? Nope not happy with it, not because the job itself but because I made the decision of choosing this job without thinking what I want, long-story short but I just followed it off a recommendation of somebody and just went along with it. But I am looking and have found something I want I'm hoping I get it.

My job? Nope not happy with it, not because the job itself but because I made the decision of choosing this job without thinking what I want, long-story short but I just followed it off a recommendation of somebody and just went along with it. But I am looking and have found something I want I'm hoping I get it.
Oh wow that's fantastic news that you have something out there you are hoping to get. I have been there. Seriously having a job you love is worth fighting for. I am really sending all good thoughts your way. If this doesn't work out keep searching because not being happy for work bleeds into your personal life! Best of luck!

preahcerman

I used to be that person. I always thought to myself why give my 100% into something that there isnt necessarily any benefit to? But slowly started to realize the more and more I devalue the importance of putting my 100% into the little things the more and more lazier I became and the more difficult it became to put in that 100% effort into things that I prioritized highly. This is a controversial topic because some will disagree and say you can play conservative and it'll be ok but honestly when you think about it, it,s actually the opposite. The less productive and active you are the more comfortable and stagnant your mind and body become. It's part of the law of physics, like Issac Newton put it an object in motion will stay in motion unless an equal or greater force stops it. In order to improve your energy you will have to change your perspective and overall change your mindset.

Last edited by a moderator: