Procrastination - A Lazy Boy Defintion.

Mrnace

I have found from a few groups and other forums I have spoken too about procrastination a lot of confusion and what it is.

A lot of people think its the same as relaxing.

Now to me, relaxing is something we do to help calm or mind and body after a busy time at work, whether its at the office or at the gym or any other place where things can be overwhwelming and will fill you with tension and stress.

Relaxing helps you recover and revive, where with procrastination there is no revival or recovery needed as you don't work hard enough to warrant this.

Check out my more indepth article.

http://ow.ly/KE5Id

Dan_Bukowski

Advisor Member
I always associate procrastination with fear. Usually when a task is put off to the side in hopes of going away the person is fearful of the challenge presented by the task because of its difficulty or the audience which the task is going to be delivered to. The tension and the stress are direct results of this and the ill feelings one may incur by the task which is another variable to take into the account of the task delay delivery. When it comes to relaxation, I believe this is an activity of choice not because we necessarily do not want to do something.

Mrnace

you assume that the person has conscious knowledge that there is a task to complete. They could just be lazy and not know any better. Or they complete the task poorly with a lack of effort or self pride.

Dan_Bukowski

Advisor Member
Yes, If they complete the task with lack of effort just to get something done and get it out the door and they are willingly doing this then yes, this is laziness. Procrastinators in certain situations can be hard workers as they garner desired results but they are taking the more difficult road to success by waiting for the last possible moment. Not all procrastinators are lazy.

Thora

Advisor Member
Procrastination can also be a sign of depression and/or anxiety.
Depressed people can lack the ability to stand up and push a button, of course that would be classified as deep depression. But before it becomes that serious procrastination can be one of the first signs.

Live easy!
Thora MJ

William Martinez

Advisor Member
Many factors can play a part in the reason as the wonderful examples above show, but it is important to not only look at why an individual procrastinates, but getting them to break the cycle. Fighting and unconditioning procrastination is an ongoing battle, but I technique I use that involves immediate action has always seemed to work best for me :)

Thora

Advisor Member
I agree with William in that the best way is to act immediately when you know that you would otherwise put it off indefinitely.

I have ADD so it's very easy for me to forget things for a LONG time and the best way is to act without thinking about it. If I start to think about it then I begin to see myself doing the thing in detail in my head and it often ends up being this gigantic thing I must do instead of just one step at a time.

So for instance instead of putting off the laundry because I don't fell like it at the time (which usually ends up being a week!) I catch myself thinking "Oh I can't be bothered today" and then I just walk over there, and begin moving my hands even though I don't want to. It's as if I unplug my mind from my body. Before I know it the chore is done and I've just been thinking about other stuff while moving.

So I'm constantly "tricking" myself into doing things I must to but don't want to on the conscious level. Of course someday I'll just hire a maid.

Live easy!

Thora MJ