Positive thinking DOES NOT WORK!

J E Roberson

Senior Advisor
Good stuff @allanrsm. I encourage you to read back through the discussion if you have not, great points have been made on the validity of positive thinking as well as my attempt to direct my intended meaning toward a spiritual accession opportunity for the right seekers.

I do have another question if you will, :) what is the difference between the carefree dispositions and the positive thinker?

mark brewer

Advisor Member
There is a difference.

Positive Thinking can tend to be limited to conscious effort whereas a Positive Mindset goes deeper into the inner being.

Positive Thinking can best be illustrated by the children's story of the little train that was chugging up a steep hill. In the story the train keeps telling itself "I Think I Can, I Think I Can..." In the story, the little train did.

But by itself the conscious effort, takes effort to maintain, and events do not always work out as desired. That can be discouraging.

A Positive Mindset, since it comes from the inner being, has deeper roots and can withstand the storms of life. Even though such a person may not be wearing a happy face all the time, deep inside they are rooted in that place of a Positive Mindset and they can see through the storm.

The entry way to the Positive Mindset is the deliberate effort of Positive Thinking.

But one cannot stop there. It needs to take root, which means that it needs to be nurtured.

hope this helps!
Have to agree wholeheartedly with the above post.
Positive thinking on its own is futile. It's about adopting an attitude of 'can do'. We all get kicked in the **** by life, someone with a positive attitude will accept the situation and find a way to deal with it and move forward. The pessimist will allow it to consume them fully and will often spiral into depression, anxiety or any other number of negative emotions. Becoming a positive individual, in my opinion, involves mind, body and spirit. A daily habitual routine of managing stress, positive self talk, exercising and finding things to love and be grateful for. It took me nearly two decades to remove hardwired negative thought patterns that were formed in my childhood.
It is frightening to think how much time can pass being stuck in negative behaviors and not even be fully aware that you are. Neuro science has proven beyond doubt that our minds can be re-wired, but to do this we must spend the time repeatedly programming it with the habits we wish to form. Time very well spent if you desire the change enough.

Mark Brewer

Last edited by a moderator:
If any of the spiritual laws of the universe are correct and what you think about grows. Then thinking positively brings positive results and thinking negatively brings you negative results. Or the Golden Rule "One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself" can be applied universally you should only think the thoughts you would want thought about you. So negativity in any way is just going to bring more negativity. And I want my life to be positive. So I try my damnedest to think positively.

1) Optimism/Faith/Positive thinking - which is basically the same thing. Optimism is for the END GAME goal. You must have an end game goal optimism, that pretty much says that NO MATTER what happens - you'll get to your target, you'll find a way and you'll make it work. That's a must.
2) Pessimism - That person who's pessimistic is just a negative person with a negative attitute for life. That's not what you should be doing (if you're interested of achieving your HIGH goals in life at least)
3) PRACTICAL Pessimism - In a brief: you move towards your OPTIMISTIC goals with practical pessimism. You don't move towards your optimistic goals with optimism.

Here is a great discussion!

I tend to believe that thoughts are powerful. I believe that in MAJOR of our activities we must activate our optimism mindset or having faith in what we are going to do because according to a psychological study, what is happening to you is only 10% and your reaction towards it is 90%. Therefore it is valuable to become positive than to be negative towards the situations that we face daily.

It is a agreed that every person must have a dream in the mind but when we PLAN, that's when pessimism became valuable because when a plan did not go well, we can turn our back from that plan and go for our second plan and so on and so forth. Pessimism is our instincts towards danger.

Let's see the two thoughts as gifts rather than debating their usefulness but focusing only in one thought can be destructive towards our lives.

Fire up! Live up!