Pet-Owner Relationships

Milton

Does anyone here own pets?
How do you make sure that your pet and you maintain a good healthy relationship?
My friend owns a cat and it's getting really lazy. All they do is watch TV together :p They used to go out in the lawn and run around, but the cat sleeps 12 hours a day and watches TV the rest of the time.

iebo

I have a cat. She's my best buddy. I make sure I give her meat everyday and also some high quality dry food. I definitely love her and consider her a part of my family. She can be lazy sometimes, but in the summer she's more of an outdoor kitty. The cat is not watching TV, but probably spending time with its owner.

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
I have dog, a golden retriever. I wasn't sure I wanted another dog but broke down and did it again. I'm glad I did, they can be a good friend in a sense as they don't get all the negative characteristics we see with humans. For those that are lonely at times, it's also a great thing to do. I like cats but I'm allergic to them so not possible, I kind of prefer dogs anyway for some reason. You have to be willing to make the commitment though, dogs need walks and to get out and meet other dogs, not sit alone at home all the time, that's cruel.

Milton

Here's a picture of my friend's cat. While it's kind of fat and lazy, I think they do enjoy each other's company. The cat will type gibberish with its paw when my friend (Mistic) is using the computer :p

angela

Since I was a kid, we have cat/s in our home. When I was a kid I played with them. My cat then was my alarm clock every morning :D , its feet scratched my feet to wake me up. But my cat today is just roaming our house.

Cecil Estrera

I've had a cat before. Unfortunately, she got lost when we moved out of that place.
I've always want to have a new one, and I want my cat to look like this:

zararina

Coaching Member
Yes i do have 2 dogs and one cat. The cat really sleeps most of the time. He just eat and then bath himself a while and then sleep and will just wake up again if its time to eat. Although there are times he will go out early in the morning and look for some other cats in the neighbor. I enjoy playing with my dogs and we really have bonding moments.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
I think a lot of cats really prefer to sleep more hours compared to other pets like dogs. We have a cat here and he is actually not so much a sleep lover but he is always going around with nearby houses making him popular with some of our neighbors. Unlike dogs, bringing cats in our walk or jog may not be that easy although I have seen some people doing this. :D

summerRain

I have dogs and I love them so much. We play and roam around. Sometimes, they are also getting mad at me especially if I am annoying them. They act like people too. LOL

SifuPhil

Cats are nocturnal animals and most will sleep at least 14-16 hours per day. Three-quarters of that time is a "light" sleep, derived from the need to stay alert in the wild even while sleeping, which explains why it can prove so difficult to sneak up on a dozing kitty.

The remaining one-quarter of their sleep is deep sleep in which they dream. This is when you might catch them shaking and twitching - it's their equivalent of our REM sleep.

Cats are "wired" for long periods of sleep due to their hereditary genetics. Big cats use large amounts of energy while hunting, and sleep restores this energy. Another benefit of long periods of sleep is the fact that the longer a cat sleeps the less energy it expends, thus the less hunting it has to do.

Although little Kitty has been domesticated these sleep patterns persist to this very day. :)

Mon-Jes

I used to have a cat many years ago. She was an outdoor cat (when that was still considered normal) and fairly active. She became especially active when I wouldn't go outside when she meowed, jumping up to high window screens to make sure I saw her. :)

I don't know what we did to keep her healthy other than feed her and occasionally take her to the vet. She was a really healthy cat, I guess.