Personal Development Book Recommendations

Strive for Greater

There are of course the classics, like Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill and How to Win Friends and Influence People by Dale Carnegie. All of which are fantastic reads, but often get all the attention. So for this recommendation, I have selected some of my personal favorites that I think get overlooked. Hope you enjoy!

1. The Code of the Extraordinary Mind by Vishen Lakhiani This is one of my personal favorites. Vishen Lakhiani challenges the reader to question their models of reality, and identify the “brules” that govern their life. I think this book in a sense allows for you to step outside the “Matrix” and create the life of your dreams, while defying the culture-scape. Definitely a good book to read no matter where you are in life. I will eventually publish an in-depth review HERE.
  2. Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus by John Gray Ph.D This book was truly a game-changer for me. The book emphasizes the idea that men and women are so unalike, that they are not even the same species. John Gray explains in detail how to navigate and communicate with the other sex effectively. The book appears to center more on repairing a marriage and finding love again, but you can apply these principle to more than just the relationship you have with your significant other. Highly recommend this one. I will eventually publish an in-depth review HERE.
  3. The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho You may have heard of this one before, but I must include it here. Paulo Coelho depicts a fable of a young boys journey to realizing his personal legend. This book reminds us to follow our hearts and to not give up on our dreams, like so many do. The book also has multiple life lessons intertwined throughout the boys journey. If you feel lost, stuck, or just want to reignite your sense of awe, definitely give this book a read. I will eventually publish an in-depth review HERE.
While reading these types of books are always entertaining, please remember to apply the principles that you learn in these books. Knowledge is useless if it is not applied.

I hope you have found these recommendations helpful, and have some new ideas of books to read next! Have you read these before? What other non-mainstream books would you recommend? Comment below!

You can see the full post on my blog

Last edited by a moderator:

denydritz

Coaching Member
Vishen recently announced he got divorced, and it's causing quite a stir in his community since he promotes "mindfulness" and "bending reality," but he purportedly couldn't "save" his marriage. Hmm ...

I've read his book too, and there are some great points that I try to apply into my life, especially his recommendation about meditating in the morning.

For a book recommendation, "Think and Grow Rich" definitely is on the top of the list, since it's basically the "bible" of personal development. Many modern schools of thought, courses, teachers, practitioners, have their roots in Napoleon Hill's research.

Thanks so much for starting this thread!

Personally, I'm a huge fan of the Compound Effect by Darren Hardy. I love it so much in fact, that I wrote a whole blog post about it. It was essentially the "self-help" book that kicked off my personal development journey. Darren basically talks about how, for better or worse, the small things we do in our lives every day have significant impacts on our lives. Everything gets compounded over time.

You can read more about the book on my blog, if you want. The link is in my signature.

the-compound-effect.jpg

I'm also a huge fan of anything by Brendon Burchard! He's written High Performance Habits, Life’s Golden Ticket, The Charge, The Motivation Manifesto, and The Millionaire Messenger. The Motivation Manifesto is a tough read, but the others are absolutely fantastic!

Lastly, I loved The ONE Thing by by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan. If you're into goal setting, personal development, and high performance, this book dives into the masterful art of shooting for one thing at a time and achieving massive success in that ONE thing. This book really helped me gain the critical focus I was needing.

Thanks again for starting this feed. I'm going to buy The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. I've heard about it a time or two and have never read it. I have Think and Grow Rich, but I just can't seem to bring myself to read it.

Thanks, all!

nick.90

I like philosophy and literature among others. I believe you can learn a lot about psychology by reading a good novel by Dostoyevsky for example. Anyways, a great blog I follow, has posted a nice list with book reviews. I have read some of these books myself, so I recommend them:

If you want just the titles:

#1. Nicomachean Ethics by Aristotle

#2. The Anti-christ by Friedrich Nietzsche

#3. Beyond Good & Evil: Prelude to a Philosophy of the Future by Friedrich Nietzsche

#4. Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

#5. The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

#6. Notes From The Underground by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

#7. The Essential Writings of Ralph Waldo Emerson

#8. The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky

#9. Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis (currently reading )

Brett Slater

Wow, there are so many out there NOW! Here are some of my favourites. and the article I have written.
1. Cashflow Quadrant by Robert Kiyosaki
2. Grunch of Giants by Buckminster Fuller.
3. Mans search to meaning by Victor E Frankl
4. Long walk to Freedom by Nelson Mandela
5. On Power by Gene Simmons
6. Awaken the Giant Within by Tony Robins
Thanks for reminding my I just brought The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho on Amazon.
PS Earl Nightingale

stoicmind

I read many but for some reason the first that comes to my mind right now is 'Failing Forward' by John C. Maxwell.

averyamerson

Lots of great books have been mentioned so far. Some of the best books on self-development that I've read recently include:
  • Think and Grow Rich - Napoleon Hill
  • You Are A Badass - Jen Sincero
  • Grit - Angela Duckworth
I'm currently working my way through Tools of Titans by Tim Ferriss. I'm not even halfway through it yet, but it's already providing me with immense value.