Penpals

beingwell

Do you have these? I haven't had any penpals in my life. Well, I don't count e-mail correspondences. I'm talking about the snail mail pen friends. I think it would have been fun to have one. Two strangers becoming friends only through writing each other over years and years is a cool thing to have. Or so I've read in Reader's Digest. What do you think? Would you still invest time in meeting strangers this way?

radascars

Advisor Member
There are a lot of changes now when it comes to writing messages to someone in far places, we have e-mails, instant messaging, social medias and forum like these that makes all of us communicate to each other. Snail mail is really an old way to write message to someone.

I never experienced writing for someone and sends it through air mail/snail mail.

Cecil Estrera

Well I didn't have one either. But I do write to my sister when we are apart from each other.
Nowadays, penpals are getting fewer and fewer, for it is easier to communicate now with the latest gadgets that man has invented.

zararina

Coaching Member
I also have not experience having a pen pal. Although it seem to be popular trend before the cell phone was famous here. I never attempt to try having one and never will. :D

speedy

Advisor Member
Do you have these? I haven't had any penpals in my life. Well, I don't count e-mail correspondences. I'm talking about the snail mail pen friends. I think it would have been fun to have one. Two strangers becoming friends only through writing each other over years and years is a cool thing to have. Or so I've read in Reader's Digest. What do you think? Would you still invest time in meeting strangers this way?
Hi Sis, you got me. :) I love to write, read and books and the school library are my friends when I was young. I always wanted to meet people around the world, learn their culture, language, weather, etc. Yes, pen pal is a very fun thing to do in life. I started having a pen pal when I was in first year high school. But I am not bounded or only writing for boys and I am open to anybody. I had my first pen pal through radio. We had no electricity in the province when I was young. So, radio is our only entertainment where we listen to news,songs and drama.I always brought our radio with me when I do gardening every Saturday. While I am listening to a Christian Station there are people who sent their greetings and testimonies.While listening, there was one sender who included his address and I memorized it immediately. So, I stopped what I am doing and start doing a letter. In connection with this, I started collecting stationery also when I was in first year high school. Since, I had stationery's collection it is easy to make a letter. It was Saturday, and coming Monday is my class again, meaning I will be in town (where the school is) and will be able to mail my letter and I did. I was so happy when I received a reply after few weeks. I was in Mindanao that time and my first pen pal is located in Valenzuela City, Philippines.
Then, I will be second year the following year. And guess what? One of our project or requirement is to write a pen pal letter. The teacher required us to submit the "reply mail with stamps" to make sure its real. So, personally it was easy for me to do and I had my pen pal from Hong Kong that time and she was a domestic helper. I never forget that moment when my pen pal Winnie sent me a reply along with her picture with the HSBC bank in background. Her email made me to desire to go to Hong Kong 1 day and I did. I even went to her address at Thai Hang Road, Happy Valley in Hong Kong, but I haven't meet her in person.

I have more stories to tell about pen pal and I still have the file of letters from them.

Estefani

I've never had one and I don't know anyone who has other than my grandmother. Maybe it's because the era we live in. But it is very common for people to have online relationships with people they've never met.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
With the coming of new communication technologies especially the internet and SMS messaging, we have practically lost the art of writing letters in papers. Today, it would be easy to send a message to anyone in any part of the globe and we don't have to rely anymore with the service provided by that old post office. When I was in the elementary grades, I think I had written a letter or two to a friend living abroad.