Parenting: Can be best learned at home

zararina

Coaching Member
I think parenting can be best learned at home.
Parents should be a role model for their children how to be a responsible parent. I could not remember having any parenting subjects when I was still studying, we just discussed on a certain subject how important is family in our lives and how they manage to affect us. What kind of parenting we usually get from our parents could affect how we are going to take care of our kids.

Although it will depend on certain people how they will conceive the ways their parents take care for them. Example, if your parents used to hit you for discipline and you think it was not right and so you will not do it to your future children. On the other side, if you think hitting is a good punishment and useful for you, you will also do or use that on your children and believe you are making a right parenting.

Cecil Estrera

Totally agree with you Zara. The kids would always look at their parents as role models so it is only expected that they imitate how their parents think and act with things. However, there are certain parents that are not really doing good in their roles and responsibility so I believe these are the traits that we should not be inheriting.

I for one, has also noticed imperfections to my parents, which I understand 'cause they are humans and they commit mistakes. Good thing I was able to justify things and I chose to do what's right. So it is also dependent on ourselves.

fancyfingers

I always say my kids are making me become a better person. I believe parents teach by both words and actions. If a parent says one thing, but does the opposite, it sends mixed messages to the child, and the child will be more apt to follow the action and not the words of the parent. It will also make what the parent say not as trustworthy. (Think of a parent smoking, but telling their kid not to smoke.).

MariaM

I agree that having good parents as a child influences what type of parent that child grows up to be. But I also think that self-awareness can compensate for not having had a healthy family. We are not doomed as adults because our families were dysfunctional. If we get in the habit of looking inward, we can see what we lack and we can get help. A psychotherapist, for instance, can guide us to recognize childhood wounds and show us how to heal them. Being aware of who we are and why we are that way is the first step to becoming parents who respect and love our children unconditionally. Our past lives do not have to dictate how we live now.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
No amount of words or lectures can ever teach a child if the examples of the parents are contrary to what they are saying. The two should be coming together or else the child can learn nothing. What I don't really understand how come some parents are taking this truth for granted and would just be content to have their children exposed to the many nuances of this world as if everything is just fine when in fact they are condemning -- or almost condemning -- their children's future to oblivion.

Parents should wake up before everything can be too late for their children. Reform must originate from the parents. The building of a better society all starts at home and parents must be the guiding light for their chidlren. ;)