Parenting an Autistic Child

Gina33

My son has asperger's, a form of autism. What it has taught me is that any parent of an autistic child must undertake the task of self improvement and personal development. There is no choice in the matter. Patience becomes essential to every day life. It becomes more important that most would realize.

You have to be able to step past your own emotional reactions, and be firmly planted in intentional acts. With an autistic child, you never know what is going to happen. So, it is important to be aware of yourself and how you feel to maximize interaction with your autistic child. Are there any other parents of autistic children here who feel the same?

actionaffirmations

I have a son who's on the spectrum. Being very high functioning, I am unable to relate the the level of unpredictability you refer to. That said, I agree with you on being able to step past your own emotional reactions. I think you actually worded your post quite beautifully.

I feel the same as you do with all of your points and I think parents of children on the spectrum grow tremendously in spite of the challenges thrown upon them. Thanks for sharing.

saliksaly

Advisor Member
Hi, so we have a little boy with suspected asperger syndrom.
Patience is my main aspect to work on, to develop. I take it as an opportunity because I have ever been a little angry in common situations which do not flow according to my expectations.
So, my little son is my teacher! The biggest reason to deal with my anger :) Thanks to him.

I'm a little late coming into this, but my daughter in 8 years old and has autism. What I have learned is to stop comparing and accept her as she is. Sure, our parenting journey looks different from everyone else's , but when you don't compare, it is just fine.