Need some help

Solitude

ok, this is my problem. Everyday when I come home from work, I start indulging in leisure or eating, and miss important things such as exercise/yoga and working towards my goals. Now, I know that life shouldn't be taken that seriously and one should devote some time to leisure sa well, but I feel that I am really lacking self discipline.

Due to some personal reasons, I prefer to do exercises/yoga in the evening. But when I reach home from work, I feel like a child does when hes back from school, and I immediately start eating or doing other things. And once I eat, I can't do yoga after that and if I take a gap, then it gets too late.

This has been going on since 6 months and I would love to get out of the rut. But the desire to indulge myself at whim is so strong, only I know it. There are times when I have surpassed it but mostly I have given in to them.

And I try to write affirmations such as "I make the optimum use of time when I reach home" etc. But the sheer feeling that I am back from work and deserve to enjoy overwhelms everything I guess.

Any suggestions?

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
It may help to give yourself an extremely small goal that feels quick and easy, such as doing only 10 minutes of yoga before you eat. You can tell yourself that's something you can get out of the way really quickly and is a valid accomplishment. This does several things: 1) you can start feeling like you are making progress, 2) you can start increasing the amount of time, e.g. in a week raise it to 15 minutes, and 3) once you get started, you may even just decide to go a bit longer. This works in many types of goals, sometimes we are so ambitious in our minds that we create tasks that are too overwhelming or will compete too much with what is more fun for us.

Change your affirmation to align with that easy goal, e.g. "I will do Yoga for 10 minutes before I allow myself to eat or nap". Then once you do it, don't feel negative about it only being 10 minutes, it's not about the time, it's about having followed through with your specific goal. You'll also feel less guilty when eat as you'll know you achieved your goal. You'll begin to like the feeling of having some control over yourself.

If this helps, please let us know!

digitalbrew

Use a checklist or a journal. By taking account of every single activity you've missed and seeing it in a journal, that could help inspire you to do it the next time around. The thing about doing duties and responsibilities is sometimes it can't be appreciated if it's not on a checklist (with checks, of course)

Moreover, some people notice a big difference in their actions if they see what they've done in paper (your accomplishments and achievements listed in a journal) rather than just remembering it.

A

artistry

Try making the reward for doing your exercising and yoga, the eating and other leisure things you do. Immediately when you come in the door, do your yoga. Knowing that when you finish you can eat and indulge. If you do this it will become a habit and be routine. Give it a try.

GSTS

What causes the indulgence of leisure and eating? Is it because of a stressful day? If so, you're not the only one who feels that way. But realize that some of the things you mentioned actually can help you alleviate stress, like yoga. Do you feel you're procrastinating? If so, I recommend a book Eat That Frog. It has really good suggestions on how to overcome procrastination.

bneil

Try setting up a goal, for you to reach. and set yourself a limit on how long would you be able to reach it. In this way you are challenging your self.

carlvennt

Morning is the best time to do Yoga and exercise so you should try doing it in the morning.Wake up fresh in the morning and do yoga,this will benefit you more than doing it in the evening.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spiral

Attend a yoga class. Having paid for the class will be your strongest motivation.

bneil

Try Setting up a chart or a daily checklist on what you want to do and accomplish on each day, this makes you know what you can do next after the other and much more convenient so you can organize your thoughts daily.

OhioTom76

Try making the reward for doing your exercising and yoga, the eating and other leisure things you do. Immediately when you come in the door, do your yoga. Knowing that when you finish you can eat and indulge. If you do this it will become a habit and be routine. Give it a try.
I was just about to suggest the same thing. I did this several years ago, and not only did it work, my appetite actually decreased after working out, so I wound up eating less. I would feel like "why consume extra calories that I just tried to burn off?".

Also, try making it entertaining. When I would get home and work out, I would catch up on some of my recorded shows while doing it. Also, a good concert DVD is fun to work out to.

bneil

I was just about to suggest the same thing. I did this several years ago, and not only did it work, my appetite actually decreased after working out, so I wound up eating less. I would feel like "why consume extra calories that I just tried to burn off?".

Also, try making it entertaining. When I would get home and work out, I would catch up on some of my recorded shows while doing it. Also, a good concert DVD is fun to work out to.
Which concerts did you tried to do it with?

marlinealcott

Why can't you do yoga after eating? I work out and do yoga after breakfast all the time.

My suggestion is that you try and break that mental block you have. There is absolutely no reason you can't do yoga after eating. Perhaps it wouldn't be the best idea to do a triathalon immediately after stuffing yourself with a steak dinner, but for something like yoga, you'll be fine!

I suggest coming home, getting a healthy snack, and doing your yoga. That way you won't feel deprived of a little relaxation time after work, and you'll still be able to get something healthy in before relaxing further later.

A

artistry

OhioTom, great minds think alike. "o). Doing it that way would be an incentive. You have to try to change, if you want to reach a goal.