My life changeover (daily reports)

bneil

Wow this is awesome, I love the way you put them into categories. on your daily improvements, this is an awesome way.

MDz

Advisor Member
Day 8 (yep)

I got up at 8:00 as planned. Looks like this is going to be a "special" day because I got a message yesterday telling me that my next chance to pass the exam is tomorrow. And I'm going to focus on that all day.

bneil

Day 8 (yep)

I got up at 8:00 as planned. Looks like this is going to be a "special" day because I got a message yesterday telling me that my next chance to pass the exam is tomorrow. And I'm going to focus on that all day.
Wow, I am happy for you, Good luck on that exam. You really need to give it your best shot right there I'm sure you could do it.

rose banks

My whole life was change when I got married. Though I don't have any child yet but things are really different from before. I realized that money is really hard to find and you really have to work hard to have it. Unlike when I was young I just have to ask money form my parents and never thought about how hard it is for them to look for money.

GSTS

Hi, I think you're doing great, and it's a very good idea to keep tracking the progress on here because you're holding yourself accountable. I'm planning on doing the same thing. The habit I'm trying to form is a lot simpler than yourself. It actually has a lot to do with prioritizing. Good luck and carry on!

bneil

Hi, I think you're doing great, and it's a very good idea to keep tracking the progress on here because you're holding yourself accountable. I'm planning on doing the same thing. The habit I'm trying to form is a lot simpler than yourself. It actually has a lot to do with prioritizing. Good luck and carry on!
Tracking like this helps us see what we have accomplished and what more to be done next, i think it really is an effective thing to do whenever we want to attain a change in life, I would try doing this.

MDz

Advisor Member
Hi guys :D

Finally decided to write here after such a long brake and I'm not returning empty handed - I've just made a simple strategy to implement into my life.

For those who are curious, I'm doing pretty good, I passed all my exams in September and October, then it took 3 weeks to change degree and I finally did it. From the beginning of November I'm studying Economics and it's so much better now, although very far from something I would consider really worth studying. But other than than people are fine, I've made a lot of connections and during the degree change I also managed to build myself a bike which I was very anticipating. Now cycling has become my main "hobby" and I also made some friends through here.

My life goals didn't change though and I'm getting more and more frustrated, mainly because of lack of freedom. I'm also very far in my daily habits (and generally the way I live) from what I would like to do.

So when procrastination weakened a little and when frustration reached almost maximum, I made myself a plan, daily constraint, whatever you call it:

As you can see there are 3 core prioritates and daily/weekly goals for them.

UEK is the name of my University and yes, so called Hustling, staying organized and having control is the key to passing like 80% of the courses.

There are also areas of focus which will be a subject or "theme" of every next week, one area at a time (method inspired by Benjamin Franklin).
"Girlchase" is a rocking site which teaches you how to behave like an "alpha-male" (I know, cliche) around women and other useful social skills

There are daily actions, just like the previous time. PD stands for Personal Development.

And the Organizer is a truly useful and beautiful tool that I custom made myself over 7 months ago, it contains Daily calendar with actions, Monthly calendar, Inbox folder, Projects folder, Next actions folder and so on. Based on Getting Things Done, this thing is my key for being organized and I've returned to it over 3 weeks ago, makes a total difference.

So that's it for the plan, I've also made me printable Daily journal. Made in Excel, it prints 2 days on 1 A4 paper and there I can track my time from 6:00 AM to 11:00 PM 1 hour at a time, I check the daily goals mentioned above and can write some notes. Starting from tomorrow, I'm going to post actual scans of those Daily journals/trackers, 1 day at a time. On evenings of course.

Hopefully some of you actually read it and I'm not going to give up on changing those habits until I actually change them. Last time I made it to the 8th day, this time it's going to be 30 days at least, maybe more. Stay tuned.

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
Hi, and welcome back! Even if you can't post daily, I really enjoy hearing about your progress and the techniques you're developing. I like how you've taken a broad approach across all things important to you in life, rather than more of a workaholic approach that might focus only on pure productivity/career. I haven't ever tracked things as methodically as you, however I really like a balanced approach across the areas you've broken out. Likewise, interesting approach on the alpha-male, you have the insight to know that there are things that can be learned vs. those who have such huge egos that they think they are perfection while they are actually making blunders. It reminds me of earlier in life where I didn't start getting better at developing friendships until I read the classic "How to win friends and influence people" and realized a few simple things could make a huge difference.

You indicate using paper, I'm curious if you've made any use of a tablet or smartphone, and likes/dislikes? I've been trying to move away from paper for my to-do lists and important notes, it's sometimes less convenient but the plus is I nearly have it handy. I've been experimenting with various apps but currently using Toodledo. I've never looked into time tracking apps but thought about doing so.

And congrats on passing your exams!

MDz

Advisor Member
Hey!

I will actually post and report daily, this time I'm doing it with delay and it's exceptional because I was having a meeting that was already arranged a week before, I got back home at 2 AM.

Yes, I believe that balanced growth is the best thing to do and it's actually somehow focused on so called "career" because I'm about to start a blog about Personal Development, it's going to be a broad, but personalized approach.
I actually bought that book for my father's birthday once, I think I'm going to read it in the nearest future but I've heard opinions that it's pretty overhyped if you know what I mean.

Paper usage is more of a natural choice than super-conscious, it became with my pocket leather & paper organizer, mind maps, lists and problem solving on A4 sheets at my desk and then evolved from there. I have a Lenovo X200t so it's a notebook as well as a tablet, but I don't have it everywhere and every time with me. I also got pretty old phone with outdated OS, perhaps if I had something more fresh with Android, I would be happy to try out some productivity apps. Especially time tracking could be very handy on a smartphone.

Thanks and here go the reports:

Day 1

So as you can see I spent vast majority of the day outside my home and got back at 2 AM which pretty thwarted my daily goals, but I am very satisfied with the yesterday. From the awakening to the point I left home I used my time very wisely (extremely wisely compared to previous few months) and kept being productive. I experienced cool dividends because of my actual first time solid preparation before German lecture.

I can't say I would arrange such a long meeting now (that I'm on this mission) but it was already planned and anticipated meeting.

Day 2

Now that was a day. Despite a pretty lazy state of mind after going to sleep so late and after smoking some pot and despite the fact that I had to take my mother to a hospital (just a control check) investing over 2 hours to do it, I fulfilled most of my daily goals and actually exceeded my expectations.

We're talking about a 10 000% decrease in time spent on facebook and all the bunch of distractions and also an astronomical increase in productivity and the way I spend time on the computer. I didn't waste more than 10 minutes today and it feels great.

I made it through over half of the book I've been procrastinating on for so long, strictly business related "Crush It!". Tomorrow comes the second half and I want to do some execution as well, although there will be so many other goals to meet.

When productivity and peaceful state of mind kicked in, the inspiration naturally came. Some ideas went to through my mind and I decided that I will implement few of them:

-30 min of German everyday (mainly using Rosetta Stone course for that) - because I'm already behind my lecture group and I want to be ahead, I'm also starting to want this language more and more - I think due to many Uni related tasks I will have to deal this weekend, I will start with this daily goal on Monday

-According to this great article, I will definitely take this law into consideration and will start my mornings productively. I think I should definitely start with regular waking hours as well, so let's make it 7 AM starting from tomorrow.

-As you can see, the area of focus (Health) remained untouched for 2 days, I figured it out that it's because of lack of measurable goals, so let's make it a 30 min read from now.

So that's it, I definitely gained momentum so far and feel absolutely great about this thing. Of course trying not to burn out with excitement and gratitude and keeping in mind that it's going to take a lot more than few days and some difficult moments are ahead.

Tomorrow there are no commitments what-so-ever, so I will have so much time on my hands. It's going to be a great challenge for me as well, over the last few years I developed a habit of being absolutely lazy on the weekends, so it's going to be super momentum building and satisfying if I will make it through Saturday and then through Sunday.

Cheers

MDz

Advisor Member
Day 3

Today it was god damn brilliant. I think that above scan is pretty self-explanatory so I'm just gonna put out my thoughts:

It's hard to describe what I'm going through and what I feel about it. It's like a complete denial of all previous habits, like living in some kind of dream perhaps. This feeling is actually that different and new, and the states of mind are truly delightful. I function on a whole another level of consciousness now and I'm more focused and WAY more clear when it comes to anything. And that's just been 2 halves of the days and a full day.

My time persistence also changed dramatically, time is so much more abundant, day seems so much longer, but at the same time I realize more and more about how valuable time is. It's hard to fully describe it, but I can say that this kind of "priority filter" when it comes to time, really kicked in. I just can't help but quickly think of every action I'm about to do: what's the time price, what's the outcome, what's the opportunity cost and can I do it better/easier/quicker.

That said, finally decided to dump the gym, I'm going to do all the workouts at home. 40 minutes vs 110 minutes is an absolute no-brainer, and I can do whatever I want in the short brakes between reps too.

As for now, I can't imagine going back to the old habits and I think I'm going to celebrate the day of 13th December in a year. At least I'm going to do everything I can to keep that momentum and lifestyle, I slacked off so many times before that I can't afford another one.

The "formal" changes:

-Decided to put stars where the meals were eaten, just to have a feel and control of how I'm doing here, optimal meal count for me would be around 6 meals, although it's the area I'm going to work on the following week, so there will definitely be more action and tracking here

-Use of colors provides another bunch of insights

Got up at 8:00 AM well rested - definitely a good choice. I'm going for the 7:00 AM now.

Weekly Review 1

Final thought: I realize that a lot of time and effort goes to this whole tracking and evaluating system, but I believe that insane habit changes require insane methods. I don't think I would follow this very different and top quality path for more than 2-3 days if I didn't do what I do. I tried plenty of systems in my experience and this seems to be working the best.

So yes, I'm not planning on giving such full reports all the time and I will eventually find an optimal way of tracking. But that's still pretty "far". As far as at least 30 days.

MDz

Advisor Member
Day 5

Working hard on that s**t. Tracking, reflecting, adjusting. Everyday from 7:00 AM to 01:00 AM

Missing values: PD book read: 0
Additional PD read: shitload (some solid, solid read on Productivity here)

MDz

Advisor Member
Day 6, 7, 8, 9

You probably thought that I quit, huh? Nothing further from the truth :D

I noticed the forums were down and I just decided to procrastinate the report.

Right there, big file:

http://i.imgur.com/rl0pN.jpg

So basically I had a pretty rough week at the University and had so much less time and energy to pursue my true goals.
At the beginning of the week, right after my very productive weekend, I realized how much time and effort is consumed to commute to Uni, deal with s**t there and then commute back. I faced it - 80% of the courses is a pure BS.

That puts more pressure on me when it comes to creating my business, future and my "true life" - all things highly related to emmigration.

On Thursday I was already pretty drained out of energy but did the best I could on Uni, as you can see I also didn't keep the time tracking really well.

I realized that:

-outcome goals will serve me so much better than timely goals
-I should rather loose myself in the process of creating my blog/business rather than focusing on many projects/goals the same day
-when energy and motivation burns out (Thursday) Self-Discipline HAS to kick in. Today (Friday) wasn't so good. Worst day in the series so far when it comes to productivity
-I'm becoming more and more socially adept which is awesome
-reading Steve Pavlina is absolutely compelling just like 1 year ago and is a source of great motivation, drive and a higher state of conscious mind. It can save the day as well.
-What I'm actually doing is starting a lifelong conscious and determined growth marathon
-Selling your stuff rocks
-Focus is the KING

I just got cold today (Friday) and it will suck, but I consider this as a challenge.

Adapting those Daily Journal templates, adjusting myself, taking action and then evaluating.
There's going to be 12 days without Uni minus 2 for Christmas and NYE, I consider this a great playground to practice those new habits, stay sharp and disciplined while all the colleagues and parents are having laziness time and finally get my blog on feet, get it working, get it going, loose myself in that PD world, my passion and my path.

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
Great point about outcome goals. As a manager, I've had subordinates ask "when do you want it done by?". Sometimes my answer is "how long do you need?" for that reason. Too many times I've had past managers give me a deadline that compromises being able to do it to the quality level I want. Of course there are times there you simply have no choice but to make a deadline, and that can take a different kind of skill in being able to determine what parts of the tasks are most important, and thinking "outside the box".

Sophia G

Wow, it's amazing watching your progress and your determination to change your life. I've been thinking about chronicling my day the way you have. We always say 'I don't have time'. I wonder, though, if I did write it down, how much time I could discover that I really do have to do something worthwhile. Great job and keep up the good work!

MDz

Advisor Member
Day 10, Weekly Review 2, Day 11, 12, 13, 14

I hate to do reports here in such a big bulk but I guess that's a reflection of how things have been lately.
Yes, I was slacking off and doing poor, although still doing better than I would do "normally" before I started these Daily Journal series.

Anyhow, this is the photo:

http://i50.tinypic.com/118poq0.jpg

So while looking at the harsh true and combining my observation from the last few days, I (as always) whipped out an A4 sheet and made couple of statements:

-No more meaningless relationships - It's going to be hard since it's going to require me to dump existing and already scarce connections and then slowly build new, meaningful ones. Slow, because I'm going to be really busy during next month - upcoming exams and starting up a business. But I'm sure it's totally worth it. As Scott H Young stated, Social Independence always comes through poverty,here - an interesting read.

-No facebook unless really needed
What "really needed" means? Here:
-University info & communication
-Business contacts & communication (later on business fanpage development)
-Meaningful connections
-Meaningful events
-Selling stuff

I really wish there was a Google Chrome extension that would show me this list every time I try to visit facebook. As for now, I'm going to print this fragment and stick it next to the monitor or something.
-Sleeping regularly
Which means getting up at 7:30 AM and requires going to bed around 11:30 PM to read/listen/think/evaluate/plan for a while and be asleep at midnight.

-Timetracking in a consistent way, just like at the beginning
-Project & task prioritazation

Just to make things clearer:

Mornings are for Uni stuff and/or excercise

Big time blocks are for Business, writing and reading stuff related to it

Smaller chunks of time are for learning German, PD book read, Selling stuff

Thank you guys for encouraging and insightful words!

MDz

Advisor Member
Day 15

Back to reporting on daily basis. This adds helpful pressure and pushes me to accomplish more.

Today didn't work out as planned because I had to get a couple of big boxes and materials for packaging the items I sell. A good few hours invested in disassembling the bike and getting it packed. I wish I spent less on that.
Also some dangerous encounters with facebook but otherwise I didn't waste much here.

Put 3 items on sell but it was easy since I already had the descriptions and photos.
Gonna put some more items this week anyway since this selling thing is addictive.
Also done some solid work operating current sales.

Learning foreign languages at night when the whole world around you is nothing but chilling is the best.

Edit: I assumed that I will read 10pgs of PD book in bed but I actually DIDN'T

MDz

Advisor Member
Day 16, 17, Weekly Review 3

http://i.imgur.com/TTQGS.jpg

I absolutely hate this week . This whole tracking thing has come to merely acknowledging the harsh truth about my productivity and meeting my goals.

But at least:

-I've almost cured myself out of cold
-There is no hiding from the truth
-I am very fed up with my unproductive behavior and self defeating habits
-I am in fact pretty angry, anger is a source of energy and drive
-I can live the s**t out of tomorrow and have this new week as a clean start

It is pretty ridiculous how fast this bad week went. It seemed like the same amount of time the amazing first 3 days of this thing went.
Struggle with a problem or an exercise, or even read something highly instructive and 20 minutes pass slowly.
Go random and embrace instant gratification, e.g. surfing the web or chatting on facebook - BAM, hour gone, feeling bad about it I go to the kitchen to consider a meal but return to the desk after I can't think about any good meal to make and BAM, another hour passes. Then I find myself wondering about what the hell I was doing for last 2/3/4 hours. Where that investment of energy, focus and attention go?

Gotta build some momentum from scratch.
I was thinking about highlighting the pain points and planning on how to make them less dangerous to my well being but my head is heavy at this late time.
So I'm gonna just trust myself with the next day and go with the flow after I've built up momentum.
Before the goals start to look and feel overwhelming

Sophia G

Hmm, sounds to me like your mind and body needed a rest and there's nothing wrong with that, in my opinion. Perhaps accomplishing one goal will help you feel more in control and get you back on track.

Best wishes,
Sophia

Reactions: MDz

MDz

Advisor Member
Hi guys

Things have changed a little bit, or should I say: advanced a little bit.

As for the days 18 and 19, I ran a Daily Journal but accomplished next to nothing when it comes to projects, failed at time tracking but done some meditation and PD read after all. Then there was day 20, which was 1st January and was a predictable "sleep till 1 PM" lazy day.

Up to this moment this story sounds boring UNTIL
At 31st December I got a gift from a friend: Tony Robbins "Time of Your Life" which is a program that teaches you new ways of thinking and is basically about implementing so called "OPA" system (An Outcome-Focus Purpose-Driven Action Plan) - it is a "system of thinking that creates extraordinary results and an amazing level of personal fulfillment".

I procrastinated a little bit with starting it but finally did that yesterday when I was going to bed. See, program consists of 10 highly informative, 1 hour 30 minutes long (average) podcasts, a Work Book and Summary Cards. I did half of the podcast yesterday, finished it today and done the next 2 tapes along with the assignments Tony gives as well as doing notes doing those podcasts.

I've already become really engaged in this program because I am absolutely positive that it will have tremendous impact on the way I live and it is just what I needed.

As I went through the program I realized that I've been focusing too much on to-do things and formalizing my goals way too much, so for now, I'm putting this Daily Journal/Tracking thing on hold until I come up with a better system. I know the program is going to cover this up so I'm really comfortable with putting this somewhat inefficient and not so well-thought system on hold. After all, I'm way more ensured that I'm on the right track than previous week using that system combined.

So yeah, tomorrow is the only day at Uni this week, just going to get done what needs to be done here and I'm going to do 1 or 2 tapes tomorrow. And then ah, the Friday - I will have all day to me so you and I will definitely see great progress here.

Feeling really good about my life right now.
Cheers