Mom easing back into the workplace

pwcross

Hi, folks,

My two-year-old has just started preschool part time (9-12:30 Monday through Friday), and I've been home full time with him until now. I'm now looking into options for earning some income during those limited hours. There's a cafe just a couple doors down from the preschool with free wi-fi, so it'd be easy to just drop my son off and have a full 3 hours to work. It'd have to be telecommuting, though. It's been tough finding work in these limited hours, and I can't really do work outside those hours, since I'm still being a mom the rest of the time! While I've found a few options here and there, things like small freelance writing jobs and website consulting, it's been a struggle. I have tutored before, but the problem is that kids are in school and thus unavailable for tutoring during my free hours! I could tutor college students with more flexible schedules, but most colleges have free tutoring centers available to their students.

Anyway, if anyone out there has more ideas for getting work with my limited availability, I'd certainly appreciate them!

zararina

Coaching Member
There are some online sites where you could get ideas or find jobs online.
Some sites that have database or loads of possible jobs are freelancer.com, elance.com and odesk.com. There are also some survey sites that you could search online, just search more about them to know whether they are legit or just scam.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
Why not start an online-based business instead? You can focus on those type of business that got something to do with education or caring for toddlers as I am sure you have some passion with those. You can be involved with affiliate marketing or selling products of other people.

With the help of Google and forums of moms working at home, I am sure you can pick an opportunity suited to your situation and interest. Good luck. :D :D

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
If you have good writing skills and good at researching and writing on a wide range of topics, there are a variety of websites that will pay you on per article basis. Many have need for articles on a particular subject from customers and you could set yourself apart from crowd if you do quality writing, as there is a lot of really bad quality stuff out there that nobody wants to pay for. You could also try selling things through fiverr.com, it's not going to make you a huge amount of money but is another avenue for marketing various things and building up your reputation there.

pwcross

Hi, everyone,

Thank you so much for the leads, and especially the encouragement! I do love to write, and writing is my primary professional and academic focus. If I could pay some fraction of my bills through writing, that would certainly be ideal. Meanwhile, I've also signed up to be an English tutor through Tutor.com; I still have to complete the full process before I start tutoring actual students, so I'm not sure how well this will pan out as an income stream, but it's another avenue I've found out there.