Men and Women think differently on 'what makes a home a happy place'

M

marcustaylor

I just found this article on the different things that men and women consider important when it comes to making a home a nice place to live in and wondered whether anyone had any thoughts on the data. The information looks really interesting but i'm struggling to see what it's 'saying' i.e. how this represents a difference in values between male & female, young & old etc. Of course it's based on averages but does anyone have any ideas?

What interests me the most is perhaps the large difference between 'safety' as a value - women appear to be far more concerned with this compared to men, and I wonder if the roots of this answer lie in evolutionary instincts (survival & replication).

The article is by Gartoo: http://blog.gartoo.net/research-suggests-men-and-women-disagree-on-what-makes-a-home-a-happy-place/

It sounds interesting indeed. The results show that women are more concerned about the safety of the house, and man are more preoccupied with the location and what you do in the house. Evolutionary speaking, this could be a matter of ancient instincts. Men went out to hunt and therefore the location had to be right, and the place where you set up camp needs to be fit to do certain tasks. Safety is not a constant factor, so it's not the most important thing to the man. Whilst women spend more time at home, and their man is out to hunt, they think more highly of safety as an important factor. Sounds very logical to me.

zararina

Coaching Member
I could agree that women tend to stay at home more specially for those housewives. And therefore safety inside the house is very important and it is important for mothers to keep their children safe with them. Men tend to leave the safety "things"to women as they are trusting it could be taken cared of well. And so right that even before, men main role is to provide food by being outside in a less safer environment.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
I think it would just be logical for women to be more concerned with safety within the house because in most cases they are the one in-charge with the management of the whole house while men are more preoccupied with their jobs and businesses. Though, we should really state that this is culled from data and therefore could be general in nature -- there are also a lot of men who are stickler to a safe and better environment at their homes. ;)

Its very interesting... If women seek safety in their houses then men should surely be helpful to find that safety houses... Women always try to make home clean and attractive. Men find happiness to drag their things all around the house.

A

artistry

....Coming from another angle, I tend to think of that old saying, when you are going to purchase a home, it's location, location, location. So perhaps the men are concerned with proximity to work, to schools, to other important areas. Also the value of the house going forward, for resale. While women, as others have said, are concerned with being safe, when they are inside the house with the children, when the man may not be around.