Meditation or Mindfulness Apps

Technology can be used, like any other tool, to encourage or foster mindfulness. I tried for an Android app (Buddhist Mediation Timer), but gradually stopped using it.

What are your experiences using meditation or mindfulness apps?

I have an Android device. The first meditation app I used was Meditate Free. It's really simple to use and it helped get started with meditation. And then I heard about headspace. It has a 10 day program for beginners and if you purchase the premium version, you'll get their full meditation course.

I've used a couple of apps throughout the past couple of years to help me build a meditation practice. I'll write down my thoughts on each of them below:
  • Calm (https://www.calm.com/): This was the first app I stumbled upon when I wanted to begin meditating. Back when I started, they had a course called "Seven Days of Calm", which served as a very good introduction to guided meditations. I stopped using the service when they switched to a subscription service because I wanted to try something different. I haven't used it for a while, so I'm unsure how different the app is now, but it seems like they have added a whole lot to it so I think it's worth a look.
  • Headspace (https://www.headspace.com/): I began using Headspace after Calm, and I'm glad I did. If you're new to meditation, Headspace is great. They have what they call "packs", which are 10 to 30-day courses following a specific theme. There are sessions for beginners, then they have topic-specific ones like for anxiety, stress, sleep, anger, self-esteem, sports, etc. Each pack has a specific technique (visualization, noting, body scan, etc.). I've been using Headspace for over two years now. The only drawbacks are that once you go through most of the packs, it gets repetitive very quick. They don't add new packs at a quick enough pace. The subscription is not cheap either. I think I have a one-month coupon hanging around somewhere that I never gave out, if someone is interested in it let me know to see if it still works.
  • Insight Timer (https://insighttimer.com/): I recently got turned on to Insight Timer thanks to a friend who has a few meditation courses. As the app name suggests, you can meditate using a timer, but there's also a lot of meditations that are uploaded by the community. There's a ton of high-quality meditations by experienced meditators. The best part is that the app is free (it has a few paid features, but it doesn't minimize the effectiveness of the free content). The only downside is that because a lot of the meditations are uploaded by users, sometimes there are some meditations that are kind of weird / not my cup of tea. You'll be spending some time finding meditations / users who suit your preferences. But to be honest, those are the exceptions - most of the meditations are great.
Hope this helps!