Before we proceed to the detailing of what 360 degree feedback system is all about, we should know the basic definition of this appraisal. So, basically a 360-degree feedback is a multi rater feedback or a multi-source feedback. It is a process through which feedback from an employee's subordinate, colleagues, and their supervisors can do a self-evaluation, and also, the employee themselves gathers the information. The 360 Degree Feedback is a system or process in which employees receive confidential, anonymous feedback from the people who work around them which helps them in evaluating themselves. This typically includes the employee's manager, peers, and direct reports mostly.
So now lets us know about the measures of this system and also the way it is used:
- So, now in the first point, this feedback process is all about the Managers and leaders within organizations using 360 feedback surveys to get a better understanding of their strengths along with their weaknesses. This is done mostly so that they can evaluate themselves well. So that once they excel in it, they can evaluate others too, which by default means their employees.
- Secondly, this process is mostly a mixture of about eight to twelve people. Here they fill out an anonymous online feedback form that asks questions covering a broad range of workplace competencies. In this process the feedback forms include questions that are measured on a rating scale and also ask raters to provide written comments. The person receiving feedback also fills out a self-rating survey that includes the same survey questions that others receive their forms which makes it pretty fair.
- So, we can understand that in this 360 feedback system, it automatically tabulates the results and then presents those in a format that helps the feedback recipient to create a development plan.
- Fourthly, in this process the Individual responses are always combined with responses from other people in the same ratercategory in order to preserve anonymity and to give the employee a clear picture of his/her greatest overall strengths and weaknesses.
- This process does a lot more than that. In this360 feedback, it also measures behaviors and competencies. 360 assessments provide feedback on how others perceive an employee and the reason why this 360 degree feedback performance appraisal is so much appreciated.
- Sixthly, we also understand that the 360 feedback addresses skills such as listening, planning, and goal-setting. A 360 evaluation focuses on subjective areas such as teamwork, character, and leadership effectiveness, which helps in the boosting of a few traits like team work, unity, leadership etc. so, these are a few traits that an employer must have. And a company will be in search of candidates having these traits in all situations.
- Not just that this, it does not surely end up there. The360 Feedback can also be a useful development tool for people who are not in a management role. Also, this 360 assessment is not measuring feedback from 360 degrees since there are no direct reports, but the same principles still apply.
- So, again this, 360 Feedback is for non-managers who are useful to help people. So that they become more effective in their current roles. And also to help them understand what areas they should focus on if they want to move into a management role
- In this process, they have two ways of operating it. First in the 360 degree feedback it is provided with the tool. And by the help of these tools they can help employees recognize strengths. And not only strength, but also their weaknesses and it also help them become more effective.
- Also, once it is done properly the 360 is highly effective as a development tool and it is also a major reason why it is so very reliable by the companies mostly.
- Sometimes this process becomes a little difficult. It is difficult to properly structure a 360 feedback process that creates an atmosphere of trust when you use 360 evaluations to measure performance. And that can bring a tinge of air which might not be very suitable for the atmosphere of the company. But the best part of it is that it can surely be overcome. Moreover, 360 feedbacks focus on behaviors and competencies more than on basic skills, job requirements, and performance objectives.
- And also in this process these things are most appropriately addressed by an employee and his and her manager as part of an annual review and performance appraisal process.
- Another important point here is that it is certainly possible and can be beneficial to incorporate 360 feedbacks into a larger performance management process, but only with clear communication on how the 360 feedback will be used.
- To add up to it, the feedback process gives people an opportunity to provide anonymous feedback to a co-worker that they might otherwise be uncomfortable giving. And by this the feedback recipients gain insight into how others perceive them and have an opportunity to adjust behaviors and develop skills that will enable them to excel at their jobs.
- So, basically, this process makes it all the more convenient for people who would want to know more about themselves and also have the understanding to handle both the acknowledgements and criticisms.
- Lastly, we have to come down to the conclusion by saying that in this 360 Feedback performance appraisal it is also used as a Development Tool to help companies know their people in a better way. In the sense that they can notice who is capable of bringing more growth for the companies.
Last edited by a moderator: