Keeping Your New Year’s Resolutions

Kevin Mahoney

Coaching Member
The holiday season has come to an end. You likely spent the last six weeks, or so, enjoying time with family and friends, going to parties and shopping. Honestly, it feels good to get back into the ebb and flow of a regular work week. With the clearing of the social calendar comes an opportunity to reflect and make decisions about your desired growth areas for the coming year. Whether you have goals for radical personal growth or simply doing some things a little bit better, it is important to plan for success.

I recently read a beliefnet.com article about such a topic called “21 Ways to Make Simple New Years Resolutions.” Three of the most personally relevant tips I took from the article for successful resolution keeping are: 1. Write down your goals 2. Create a plan and 3. Less is more (pick only a few things to work on). I find that a goal not written down is just a thought and goal without a plan is just a wish. I also believe that too many goals can create clutter in your mind. Keep it simple. We all know that the challenge of New Year’s resolutions is not making them, but keeping them.

What are some things you do to encourage successful resolution keeping?

21 Ways to Make Simple New Years Resolutions. Retrieved from http://www.beliefnet.com/wellness/health/healthy-living/simple-new-years-resolutions.aspx?

whitelotus

Advisor Member
I now make simple goals that I feel I can feasibly do and that have potential to grow. I've spent the last year on medical leave from work and am trying to get healed up so I can live again. My goals are very simple for the average person but are kind of big for me right now. I have a white board in my kitchen that I wasn't really using so I wrote down my daily goals and my overall goals for the year, so I will see them every time I go in the kitchen. The key to keeping goals for me is to not overthink them. Just do them. If there is an off day, it's ok. Yesterday I was not feeling well and I only did 3 of the 6 daily things I wanted to. Today I haven't done any of them (I'll probably do up to 3 things by the end of the day). It doesn't feel great to not be getting everything checked off every day but I'm also not kicking myself because I had an understanding that there are days when I can't physically do much, and it's more important for me to use wisdom in decisions. For example, if someone wants to run 5 miles per day but they get sick, they might be worse off if they push themselves too hard and run those 5 miles rather than taking a break. So I'm using my inner judgement which is helping me to be more in touch with my intuition.

That was sort of a long answer to your question so in short, writing them down in a place that I see every day, not overthinking it and not being overly critical of myself if I'm not perfect at keeping up. It's all about balance.

Sarah Carlson

Advisor Member
Personally I don't make New Years Resolutions. If I find something important to me I make it a priority and start working on it right away.

If I'm going through a big change e.g moving house I'll wait until my life has settled and I can focus all my attention on my goal.

New Years comes only once a year, and since I'm normally feeling very relaxed after Christmas celebrations I'm not at my sharpest to begin a new goal.

Personally I'd wait till a few weeks after New Years when I'm feeling focused and able to conquer the world again. I keep a journal to hold myself accountable plus to see what steps I have taken.

I like to have a small to-do list of 1-5 important things I can do that day to complete my goal. I also tell myself what I'm doing is fun, no better way to push yourself harder then to love what you do!

Hope this helps Kevin, good luck!