Is Passion or Purpose Most Important?

Kevin Mahoney

Coaching Member
I recently read a piece by Sonita Lontoh titled “Passion, Hobby, or Purpose?”. In the article, the writer explores the relationship between our careers and our hobbies, passions and purposes. As one who has reflected on these various concepts a lot over the past few years, I have come to agree with Lonoth’s sentiment “in order to be happy, both men and women need to have a purpose in life”. Lonoth also states that we can discover our purpose by “finding ways to leverage your passion and skills to fill a need in the world.”

I believe that only pursuing our passions, career wise, will limit our options. However, if we look to use our passions to fill a need in the world, we may find that our opportunities multiply. For example, if we love to paint and it is our passion, we might be hard pressed to make a living by being a professional artist. If we instead look for ways to use that passion to fill a need in the world, we can use our passion to make a difference, and a living, as a teacher, therapist, or mentor.

What do you think is the likelihood of making a living by only pursuing your passions? Do you agree with the notion that we will find our purpose at the intersection of our passions and meeting needs in the world?

Lontoh, S (May 29, 2012) Passion, Hobby, or Purpose? Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/85broads/2012/05/29/passion-hobby-or-purpose/#a93ae7a52178

Elhama

Coaching Member
Hi Kevin. I believe that life is so much like a puzzle. Each one of us has a piece of that puzzle so each one of us should follows their most important major passion in order to bring that piece of the puzzle into its right place and make life work.
I think a person may have many passions in many fields of life, but the most important passion of those, which they should follow, is the one that will make a positive difference in this world so yes I agree with the notion that we will find our purpose at the intersection of our passions and meeting needs in the world.

Last edited:

Sarah Carlson

Advisor Member
When you are passionate about your purpose you become very focused and energized, it's easier to stop procrastination when you love what you do.

To have purpose but no passion means you survive life. To have purpose WITH passion is to thrive!

It may take work to find the right career with both, however to jump out of bed each morning because you love the life you have is a goal worth striving for~

To all you reading this, may you find reality is even more beautiful then your dreams!

When you are passionate about your purpose you become very focused and energized, it's easier to stop procrastination when you love what you do.

To have purpose but no passion means you survive life. To have purpose WITH passion is to thrive!

It may take work to find the right career with both, however to jump out of bed each morning because you love the life you have is a goal worth striving for~

To all you reading this, may you find reality is even more beautiful then your dreams!
You are quite right about having passion in life without passion is like racing paralyzed horse in a derby. Once you have the passion in your life you will achieve anything you want.

Last edited by a moderator: