Is Maslow's Hierarchy Of Needs Still Accurate?

Mrnace

We strive for the same basic needs. so I think so.

I lack self esteem in certain areas of my life due to a lack of certain needs mentioned in the hierachy.

The main one being sex.

Mrnace

It does effect my self esteem and confidence around ladies I like. I tend to say and do stupid things around them.

J E Roberson

Senior Advisor
To the opposite point Mrnace, it seems although you are experiencing a perceived lack on the bottom side of the pyramid you are still providing content that proves you are attempting to self actualize.

Although not ideal circumstances, would you say that situation is totally preventing you from growth?

Mrnace

an attempt self actualize, but still waiting to see if it becomes successful.

And I am sure the circumstances I am in are a hindrence enough to slow my progress or my "actualization".

I definitely have feeling of inferiority in a lot of situations, that my circumstances help create. I don't do certain things or feel realy uncomfortable in certain situaions which affect the outcome negatively.

J E Roberson

Senior Advisor
I understand that makes a lot of sense and I've experienced similar feelings.

My problem was my growth and spiritual practice wasn't preparing me for real life situations.

What helped me was implementing a growth plan that I could use 24/7 versus doing an hour of meditation, yoga, Ta Chi, reading ect and expecting the results to spill over into every situation.

As far as the hierarchy pyramid, Ive heard a strong arguments for two paradigms, meaning some go bottom up some go top down.

Mrnace

I personally don't think it can be split into just two paradigms. I believe the ammount of paradigms are unlimited.

I think people are so different when you look at upbringing, education, wealth, sexuality and so many other things. No body is created equal and can start at any part of the pyramid at any given time.

I need to read the book to get a better idea in how its supposed to work.

J E Roberson

Senior Advisor
I totally agree there are infinite paradigms. I meant to 2 ways to approach the Maslows Pyramid for example some say...

"when I have what I need I will find fulfillment." (Bottom to top)

While others say

"When I find fulfillment, I will have what I need."

I could be missing your point are there other ways your looking at his theory?

Todd Hicks

Senior Advisor
Do believe humans need external factors before they can internally self actualize?
It can help if external sources such as other people we interact with give us a critique that helps us analyze ourselves then take steps to improve.

Mrnace

Looking at it that way, then there are only two ways to approach it, just like you said.

I was just saying that different people can lack totally different things at different parts on the pyramid so a different paradigm is created.

I think you got it.