Is it wrong to do too much work?

LeoX8

I'm a lot into personal development in this period: i watch a lot of videos and learn a lot of new stuff.
By doing this i started to introduce in my life a lot of new things all in once like: affermations, finding my passion, doing meditations, accepting myself, let the negative emotions flow, building up my confidence and trying to becoming good with girls.
Now, am i doing too much?
Because when i have a problem/bad situation i'm confused and don't know what ti do (if doing one thing instead of another)
Can you guys help me?
Where i should focus?
PS: it's not too much that i'm into personal development

lifesupplys

I think you are on the right path. The most important thing is have fun as you work on yourself and the more work you put in, the better position you will be in when something comes up you will be able to handle it easily and grow.

Gio

I suggest a tip that works very well.
Quickly and spontaneously as it comes to mind, make a list of everything you want to do, your values, your human needs.
Now identify which are the first three most important points fo you, from the most important to the least.
These will be your focus points.

I'm a lot into personal development in this period: i watch a lot of videos and learn a lot of new stuff.
By doing this i started to introduce in my life a lot of new things all in once like: affermations, finding my passion, doing meditations, accepting myself, let the negative emotions flow, building up my confidence and trying to becoming good with girls.
Because when i have a problem/bad situation i'm confused and don't know what ti do (if doing one thing instead of another)
Can you guys help me?
Where i should focus?
Hey Leo,

I'd say that you're off to a great start! However, the deeper you go, the more strategies you'll learn. It's important to know that, you don't have to use every strategy you learn. I try out new strategies all the time, but I only keep the ones I like and that work for me. For example, there are many strategies for setting goals and overcoming fear, but I only use the ones that I've seen work for myself. Some will work better for others, but they may not work for you.

I hope that helps!

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
I recommend you think of personal development as a life long journey and don't take on too many new concepts at once. Focus on just one or two that resonates with you for awhile. See if it works for you, and internalize it. Give it some time. Keep in mind that something that works great for some and touted in a book, may or may not be the best for you. We are all unique. Affirmations work great for some but did not for me. Meditation and mindfulness works great for me but some I know tried for years and gave up.

Even though you want to focus, I think it's also good to keep being exposed to positive influences. Read books and watch videos from different teachers that will motivate you and offer totally different perspectives, and avoid the guru mentality that one person has the best advice. Try some Eckhart Tolle, Tony Robbins, and many more. Where possible, also try to hang around with people that exhibit the traits you admire; people that lift you up and not bring you down.

Chuck has a lot of good articles on the website as well, see https://personal-development.com/author/chuck

I recommend you think of personal development as a life long journey and don't take on too many new concepts at once. Focus on just one or two that resonates with you for awhile. See if it works for you, and internalize it. Give it some time. Keep in mind that something that works great for some and touted in a book, may or may not be the best for you. We are all unique. Affirmations work great for some but did not for me. Meditation and mindfulness works great for me but some I know tried for years and gave up.

Even though you want to focus, I think it's also good to keep being exposed to positive influences. Read books and watch videos from different teachers that will motivate you and offer totally different perspectives, and avoid the guru mentality that one person has the best advice. Try some Eckhart Tolle, Tony Robbins, and many more. Where possible, also try to hang around with people that exhibit the traits you admire; people that lift you up and not bring you down.

Chuck has a lot of good articles on the website as well, see https://personal-development.com/author/chuck
I agree with what MoreSuccess says above. There are endless techniques out there and it is very individual as to what will work for you. Every one of us is starting from a different place and heading to a different destination, therefore, the path will be different for everyone. What works great for one person, may not work at all for someone else.

Personal growth is definitely a lifelong journey and it can take some time to really see the results. If you feel you are getting overwhelmed by the amount of information and techniques out there, that is a good sign that you are trying to do too much at once. I think it is much better to focus on a few techniques that resonate with you and build from there.

Ultimately, the mountain of techniques out there all boil down to the same handful of key concepts, so don't worry about trying to learn everything. Follow your own instincts on what path to take and just keep going one step at a time.

Best of luck to you!

DayProv

Advisor Member
Can you guys help me?
Where i should focus?
Hey Leo,

I think you ARE doing much.

First of all, it´s great you´re enthusiastic and hungry to learn. It´s one of the best habits you can develop for life. But, trying to start all those things you mentioned in at the same time is simply NOT POSSIBLE.

The way to do it is always - step by step. I´ve been there, I tried a lot too and from my own experience I can tell you - not that my life wasn´t better, but it got worse every single day. I feel overwhelmed, tired and I simply don´t know what to do next. All because I wanted to do all at once.

So, my suggestion to you is - always make 3 big goals for a day. Then, when you accomplish them, you can add more, but what´s even more important - if you are studying affirmations - do only that.
A study, implement, observe and adapt. Only then move on and try to improve another area of your life.

I hope it helps, if you have any further questions, I´ll be happy to help :)

P.S.: If you´re interested, try to check out the book: The One Thing from Gary Keller - which explain in detail the power of focus on just one thing at the time.

Sunny J Gupta

Hey man,
I made the mistake of adding too many habits at one time, and it actually resulted in years of lost time. It is literally 10x better to pick one habit, put your focus, energy, and heart into that, until it really becomes second nature and a part of you. If you really break down what a habit is, it is what you do instinctively, with minimal will power. Of course when you start off it will require much more willpower. But notice that when you do too much too fast, it becomes mechanical and you just do it to get it done. But don't worry, if you do 1 habit every 30 days, you can actually grow pretty fast. I now have stacked on 17 habits a day, not including work, and I do admit it does take willpower, even after doing 1 habit at a time, but even on my worst days, when I'm drunk, tired, sick, travelling, etc. I am still doing all my habits, even if its just for 5 mins each. I hope this helps :)

New_Journeys

Doing too much work can have a huge impact on your whole life. Your health can suffer and important relationships can become strained. Work becomes everything and before you know it, work really IS everything and all you have left. It's important to put time and effort into your career but not when family and friends and good times fall by the side of the road to be forgotten. You have to make and sustain the changes for life balance, which can be hard. It's easy to make change but hard to maintain them. I give up sugar one day and eat a bunch of cookies for lunch the next. Aaaauugh! :eek:

I

Last edited by a moderator:

denydritz

Coaching Member
Hi Leo, I think you don't need to see everything you do related to personal development as different things. I see them as vectors (directional energy) that all head towards the same direction. That's what's important.

There is no conflict when you do multiple techniques to improve yourself. An analogy is when you are eating steak, potatoes, and vegetables, do you wonder if you should focus on one? You'd probably not think too much about making sure you don't overwhelm yourself when eating, and you just eat with the goal to finish the meal.

Whatever goal you want to achieve is the meal, and if you have to learn and apply every single technique to achieve that goal, to finish the meal, then so be it. I wouldn't worry myself whether I am eating too much of the steak or the potatoes or the vegetables.

Shelomo199

You should focus on where you find the least amount of effort to focus on. There is nothing wrong with doing too much work as long as it is laser focused work and you absolutely enjoy what you are doing.

When I first graduated 5 years ago, I wanted to conquer the world then I would be disappointed when I didn't lol. A mentor told me not to focus on the end result too much. It's a process. Life is like a video game, you try many things and have fun while doing so.