Is it possible to still have faith in God but not in the church?

jcin04

I used to think that the church is all holy and divine, until I realized that it is still governed only by human beings (I still think the church in its symbolism and ideal is still holy and divine, but I have certain doubts with the people who run it).

So is it possible to still have faith in God and Christianity but not at the people who represent it?

J E Roberson

Senior Advisor
In my opinion there is a great gap between the individuals we all have as reps of God & Christianity, unless you are talking about the Pope I guess, and the actual religion or faith.

Therefore our human teachers of faith are subjective and can be removed from our paradigm. "Simple but not easy." It does seem parental influence seem to have a influence on the view of God with quite a few individuals I've interacted with.

jcin04

Well not all of the church leaders. I'm talking mostly of church leaders in our country. I just think sometimes they overstep their authority by meddling into politics. And I believe that it is not an order of the Vatican for them to do so.

That's why I'm finding it harder and harder to have faith in church leaders here.

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
I agree JC. Early in my life I dismissed religion due to all the hypocrisy, but later came to realize that the spiritual teachings were more pure and one must look to the teachers rather than depend on religions to spoon feed you their interpretation of it or accept the idea that only the church has the power to intercede between you and the creator.

J E Roberson

Senior Advisor
Good point Msuccess! I have built my business around the idea individuals can benefit from however don't "Need" a middle man to the creator of life. The old system has been in place for quite some time and I'm sure a lot of people feel similar to how you do JC.
officials.

Pioneers for change like Martin Luther are huge in empowering the people.

It is absolutely possible to have faith in God and Christianity and not the people who represent it, as faith moves through barriers and people. Faith is what keeps us going and makes it possible to create what we desire. Having faith is one of the greatest blessings of all. :)

Jason Surmillon

Coaching Member
Last Sunday my pastor was talking about this :) . He points that it doesn't matter which church you go to or which preacher you look for, what matters the most is your direct relationship with God.

sherman joseph

You should never put your faith in man. Man will disappoint you all the time. Yes you can have faith God, and not attend church. However your faith can be strengthened when you are surrounded by other believers. This faith walk is not attended for us to do alone. That is why God commanded us to worship together - "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them". Matt 18:20

THE CHURCH is simply a systematic approach to come to terms with the divine, whether it be Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, or any other such thing. God is the very force and substance of life in which everything is and will be. So yes it is very well possible to be of no denomination and truly wholeheartedly believe in God. If you feel as though your respective religion is taking away or hindering your unfettered belief in God then I believe the Keys To Life are being taken away. Believe in God and not mammon and the Kingdom Of Heaven is yours.

Anthony Docherty

Advisor Member
I used to think that the church is all holy and divine, until I realized that it is still governed only by human beings (I still think the church in its symbolism and ideal is still holy and divine, but I have certain doubts with the people who run it).

So is it possible to still have faith in God and Christianity but not at the people who represent it?
100% yes you can. Human Beings are flawed and fallible. A lot of people who claim to be Christian have forgotten the basic teachings of Christ, like love and forgiveness for example, but that doesn't mean you can't have faith in God, in fact, it's one of the reasons to have faith!

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
Many people are spiritual without being part of an organized religion. And, you can worship in any way that feels comfortable for you. Just go with your heart's leading on this one. And, don't feel pressured to lean one way or another. You'll find your own path.

Moe

Yes of course. In fact it's possible to not even be religious and still have faith in god. the relationship we have with god is something special. And NO human can ever tell you how you should go about developing that relationship. I believe that churches, mosques, and temples are there to guide people in the right direction when searching for god. But it is definitely not the 'set-in-stone' way of communicating with god and seeking his help. You can pray to god from the comfort of your home, anytime you like, and in which ever way you like. So long as you believe in god, and are thankful, god will be there to help you.=)

Joyce W

It's definitely possible, that's how I believe. I went to Catholic school for all my elementary and middle school years and attended church with my family every weekend ritualistically. But after awhile I realized that my beliefs in who God is and what the church makes God out to be were quite different. The church and religion per se are created by man, not by God. Once I expanded my beliefs beyond just the Catholic church, I found stronger faith in a God who is far less judgmental and controlling than most churches make "him" out to be.

DJ Barrett

There's nothing wrong with having faith in God and not the church. God made the church, but doesn't ask for you to go to it every Sabbath in order to have faith in him.

All religions point and say that you have to follow our way of teaching about the divine source because our way is right and just.

Sad thing is, that's not true.

There are no rules or guidelines to follow the light.

Great question!

Aree Wongwanlee

Advisor Member
Of course, that is possible. God is perfect. Man is not. If we were to judge a religion by the people who practice it, we would give up on religion. And that's actually what happened to many people. They focus on people instead of God. If they had focussed on God, they would be able to see through the people.

PennySafe

Yes, I definitely feel like you can have a relationship with God without belonging to a church. I didn't always feel this way, but now I am at a point where I haven't been to church in a couple years but I will always believe in a God or something bigger than us that moves things around. I think that having a church community around does help you to stay focused and encouraged.

Aree Wongwanlee

Advisor Member
The church is just a building. We worship God wherever we are because God is everywhere. It would be good to go to church for the fellowship but fellowship does not only exist inside a church. We should be living together with other people in a good fellowship, regardless of their religion or race.

THE CHURCH is simply a systematic approach to come to terms with the divine, whether it be Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, or any other such thing. God is the very force and substance of life in which everything is and will be. So yes it is very well possible to be of no denomination and truly wholeheartedly believe in God. If you feel as though your respective religion is taking away or hindering your unfettered belief in God then I believe the Keys To Life are being taken away. Believe in God and not mammon and the Kingdom Of Heaven is yours.
I love your answer. I agree.