Is having a master's degree vital?

Graduate programs like master's degree and doctor's degree have gained a lot of popularity nowadays. A lot of people are now enrolling in master's degree programs. I'm also enrolled in a master's degree course but I'm starting to question its value as I'm really not able to learn much from it.

Is having a master's degree vital to the advancement of your career?

Stephen Wilkes

I suppose it really depends on what you mean by career. If a career is defined as working for someone else, your goals and dreams defined by theirs, than yes I am sure a Masters would help. If you took the entrepreneurs journey however it is even possible that a Masters would hinder.

flad264

I really think that this is a matter of the type of career that you plan on having. I have seen people who have been successful in life that have not even been able to finish high school. I mean I like to look at someone like Bill Gates. He was really intelligent but the truth is that he dropped out of college just so that he could pursue his dreams and when you look at it take a look at where he is today.

Well, yeah we could always site Bill Gates and other successful entrepreneurs when it comes to these types of arguments. But these people are in the minority. Majority of the people in the world who make a living are making a living by being employed - either by the government or the private entities or by becoming self employed and practicing your profession.

Still, personally, I don't think that a master's degree adds anything to improve yourself. I'm enrolled in a master's degree class and all it does is take money from my wallet. But if you are employed, this would be a nice addition to your resume and could definitely help in your promotion. If you are practicing your profession and offering services to the public, it's probably better to have a master's degree just for show.

Phil Moufarrege

Advisor Member
Well, yeah we could always site Bill Gates and other successful entrepreneurs when it comes to these types of arguments. But these people are in the minority. Majority of the people in the world who make a living are making a living by being employed - either by the government or the private entities or by becoming self employed and practicing your profession.

There's no reason why you can't be in the minority either - if you want it :)

A master's degree is an expensive way to add credibility to yourself in an interview. There are many ways to add credibility that are cheaper. For example having more industry experience or just being able to make a stronger impression over the phone/in the interview room. I can sit in a room with billionaires and totally make them think I am one of them even back when I was totally broke. It's all how you present yourself and act. This type of mindset can carry you way further than a piece of paper can.

leo

i agree with you --> "being enrolled in a master's degree class and all it does is take money from ur wallet" <-- hahaha
i dont what what's happening in all of us, some are just contented being an employee all their life being a prison in their own office cubicle..
sometimes even how educated academically others are, they may end up master's degree and doctoral degree but still they are poor financially at the end of day
i think you all need mind reformatting!.. =)

I think one good way to measure whether you think having a masters degree is vital, is what you think you will receive by completion of it. Regardless of the economic and social factors if you feel that it will bring benefit to you personally and it will be worthwhile than go for it. I think it's all a matter of choice and like the others have said having or not having a degree can go either way. It's up to you how you view it and what benefits you feel it will bring for you personally. I do have a degree, and at the time I just did it because I was interested in it. I did not think about getting a job out of it. My main reason was education and learning more about it and I felt I would use it in the future and in a way I am using it now. All the skills we learn at one point in our lives get used, even if we feel like they don't. There is always a purpose of why we do it, and that's what counts. Do what you feel is best for you and not what anyone else thinks.

Derrick LaFrenier

Coaching Member
Graduate programs like master's degree and doctor's degree have gained a lot of popularity nowadays. A lot of people are now enrolling in master's degree programs. I'm also enrolled in a master's degree course but I'm starting to question its value as I'm really not able to learn much from it.

Is having a master's degree vital to the advancement of your career?

I feel as though a Masters degree has it place. But there is no degree that speaks for what the person actually retained and what they truly use from their education. Having a degree is a wonderful way to see if a person has the drive and commitment to accomplish goals they have set. As an Entrepreneur and owner of a few businesses, I do not have a college degree but I am continuously learning, seeking personal advancement and gaining knowledge to keep pace with the changing times. You can go into any field and find very successful people with and without degrees and you can also find very unsuccessful people with the same masters degrees. If one can prove their value no degree is required. So to me, it is a matter of choice.