Is Fearing The Fear The Biggest Barrier?

Anthony Docherty

Advisor Member
I was wondering what you thought were the biggest hindrances to people developing, moving forward or starting a new project?

I think a lot of people actually 'fear' the fear!

It seems to be the biggest hurdle when they try to do something new or change something in their lives, even if that change is positive.

I find fear a bit of a paradox - most of the time it's not real and is imagined in people's heads - I wonder how much it's stopping people?

Any thoughts?

I think fear is the number one stopper for people. It becomes a hinderance and almost paralyzes them. I believe that is the reason we procrastinate and find excuses to not do what we are afraid of doing. Luckily, there are ways on how to overcome fear that you can look up online and read in books. Reading techniques on how to overcome fear has been one of the greatest skills in my life! It's completely changed it.

Last edited by a moderator:

tomasoberg

Fear "kills" people daily, I mean they just give up their life to go on "auto pilot" and tell themselves this will do.
Instead of using the pain and fear they have at that moment to change, but not everyone is ready for the message.
Fearing to look bad in other people eyes are one big killer as well of not taking action, so they fear what others will think.

I mean when you start think about this , who does actually give a s**t anyway ?
Most people do, because most people experience the social norms and the feeling of "failure" is to much for them to even try.
And all that fear they have trained in for so many years, all because they just gived up once and didnt "kill" that dragon of "doubt" .
Steven Pressfield is a wonderful author when he talks about resistance, everyone should get a course in how to handle it and what to do when it kicks in and how to defeat it.
If you have done it once , you know you can do it again.

A common fear people have about success is that they know the unknown. They're afraid of what's going to happen when they succeed, how long they're going to last there, and what could go wrong. What people tend to be most scared of is the act of trying to become successful because in that path comes a lot of failure and hard work to get past it.

namktqs

Coaching Member
Many people don't write down their goals, or don't want it bad enough... they don't specific goal and don't know why they need to get it. That is reason for fear to action.

Toby Jensen

Coaching Member
It seems the biggest block is not having a standard, reliable, proven, industry accepted system to being able to change fearing the fear. Or being able to change any limiting belief. Every personal development expert says they can produce change but no one in the world can explain the exact steps to doing that. Mostly it boils down to "stick with the process", "keep your intention in", or fake it 'til you make it.

These are not exact steps that produce change on a consistent scale.

People do change though. What did they do? I developed Gutap over twenty-five years to explain this incredible method for change. First one in the world to do it!

Todd Hicks

Senior Advisor
Fear "kills" people daily, I mean they just give up their life to go on "auto pilot" and tell themselves this will do.
Instead of using the pain and fear they have at that moment to change, but not everyone is ready for the message.
Fearing to look bad in other people eyes are one big killer as well of not taking action, so they fear what others will think.

I mean when you start think about this , who does actually give a s**t anyway ?
Most people do, because most people experience the social norms and the feeling of "failure" is to much for them to even try.
And all that fear they have trained in for so many years, all because they just gived up once and didnt "kill" that dragon of "doubt" .
Steven Pressfield is a wonderful author when he talks about resistance, everyone should get a course in how to handle it and what to do when it kicks in and how to defeat it.
If you have done it once , you know you can do it again.
Nobody should be reluctant to try something because they fear the possibility of failure. I would rather try something new and not succeed on my first try than never try something and always wonder what might have been if I had had the courage to try it.

Aree Wongwanlee

Advisor Member
Fear is a very powerful force. It can destroy you. However, if you learn to harness the power of fear, then you have nothing to fear, so to say. How? Use fear to push you to greater heights of achievement. Use fear to stop yourself from being complacent. Use fear to keep you going on and on and on.

Thea Luxton

One of the biggest barriers is fearing what other people may say or think besides the fear itself. Life is unknown, we can plan, but things don't always go according to plan, but when we make a conscious effort to change that plan, people ask why.

When you are out of your comfort zone, that is when you take a risk and people can instill fear by telling you ,'it's stupid... you're foolish..it'll never work,' and then how you will look if it doesn't work out? Will people say, "I told you so!" or make you feel like a failure? Can you face them again?I can say from experience I conquered my fear and quit my job to follow my passion, but wasn't prepared for others negativity which induced a fear of failure. Perhaps I need new friends, but people can instill fear in you, the very people you need support from. I haven't achieved what I need to yet, but the fear people put in me gave me some self-doubts, only momentarily. Still it was a fear that created a barrier because it was unexpected.

Aree Wongwanlee

Advisor Member
Look on the bright side or the positive side, whichever makes more sense to you. True, people can instil fear in you. At the same time, people can also inspire you. Sometimes, just talking to someone can make you feel better. That's why psychiatrists can charge fees, basically, for just sitting there to listen to you.

Dileep Tiwari

Fear is a natural reaction of our mind and body triggered by the possibility of danger, pain, hate, anger, etc., and after the danger is past, so is the fear response. However, when fear spread out in a vicious circle, it becomes a stumbling block to our progress.