Is a big wedding important to you?

clauemi

Well when my ex husband and I got married all we did was go to the court house and sign, no family, no wedding dress, not even a ring. Not because I did not want to or because we did not have the money for at least a simple ceremony but because he did not think it was important. It made me feel like he did not love me as much as I did him.

I think a ceremony is a nice memory and symbol of the promises and commitments made on that special day and so for my next marriage I will definitely be wanting a big ceremony celebrating our love.

What do you guys think? What would you be happy with?

zararina

Coaching Member
Marriage is important to me and a simple ceremony in church will do. It was not necessarily a big wedding since it is not what important about it. It was right that it is one sign of love and sincerity for both people involved in marriage. The marriage vow matters as it should be said with sincerity and that promise should be translated into actions. And yes it is a symbol of promise and once in a lifetime moment that can be treasured forever.

Lucy

A big wedding is not important. I think it is possible to have a great wedding with just a few close family and friends, and have it still be wonderful. Especially, in this day and age when money is tight.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
Marriage remains to be important -- much more so in the world where divorce rates remain to be so high. The antidote to divorce is to have a healthy and mutually open relationship with each other bonded by the common promise to care and love each other.

I am sorry that your marriage did not work out fine. It is really a big problem if you enter into a marriage where the other partner do not have the same thinking as you do. Good thing that he is already out of your life.

Zippy

I had the same experience! My ex husband and I got married the same way and for the same reasons. Not even a ring or anything at all. The only thing I got was a party thrown by my mother 3 months later, and my ex would not even come to that. No wonder he is my ex right? If I ever find the right man, I would like a ceremony, nothing huge, but to share the event with people I love.

mslicia

I use to want a big wedding when I was younger. I think what really matters is you two sharing your love and making a commitment in front of God. Now, if the opportunity came along and people decided to help financially then of course! In a few weeks, I will be attending a wedding ceremony for a young couple. It appears the wedding is going to be huge. Acutally they are making a full weekend of pre-wedding activities for the wedding party and close friends. I just hate that family members won't really be included, but I am still happy for the wedding couple!

francrislee

For those who plans to be married only ONCE, (hehe), MARRIAGE is really a big thing. It's one of the most precious event that could happen to a couple in their whole life. I'm not saying though that it has to be big, but it just has to be solemn and peaceful where you can say your vows very purely and truthfully. :)

radascars

Advisor Member
If you can afford to have a big wedding why not? But for practicality sake I would rather to have a simple wedding or if I don't have money at all the court will do and most people tend to do that because its cheaper, no plans and frustrations in preparing the wedding. :)

LadyJane

My husband and I were married in front of a judge, in a court house. I wore sweat pants. He couldn't afford to buy me a ring. And I don't resent it one bit.

Twenty-one years later we are more in love than ever. We have three lovely children which are worth more than any fancy wedding. I do have a nice wedding ring now (which I constantly misplace!), yet the friendship and love between my husband and me is what makes our marriage rich.

clauemi

My husband and I were married in front of a judge, in a court house. I wore sweat pants. He couldn't afford to buy me a ring. And I don't resent it one bit.

Twenty-one years later we are more in love than ever. We have three lovely children which are worth more than any fancy wedding. I do have a nice wedding ring now (which I constantly misplace!), yet the friendship and love between my husband and me is what makes our marriage rich.
I would have been happy with what I got if he at least would have shown some interest. I mean he didn't even try to get me a ring afterwards and I know he could have afforded even a simple one. I am happy you and your hubby are very much in love, I love to hear sweet stories LOL.

mslicia

Oh yes, that is definitely a sweet story. That is why I am still hoping to get married one day. Finding true love is so hard to find and when you do nothing should ever take that away. That was such a true love story it almost took my breath away! Clauemi I'm sorry you didn't receive that more special wedding ring. My mom got a new wedding ring from my Dad a couple of years ago, and to be honest I like the 1st ring better than the one she has now! Oh it was truly gorgeous and so sparkly(she tried to give it to me but I didn't want it... what was i thinking!) Better yet, what was she thinking!

WitchyWoman

When I was a little girl I always dreamed about having a big wedding. When the time came for me to get married I realized it was more a fantasy than reality. I married in a small Chapel with a select few friends and family members. I enjoyed the day and the memories. There was also no stress involved!

Cecil Estrera

I think having a grand wedding is not that significant nowadays especially now that the economy isn't doing well.
My husband and I were married with a simple ceremony which was all we ever wanted.

I believe that it's not the worth of money spent that counts, but the love that couples feel for each other.

WitchyWoman

I agree Cecil what matters is the love the couple feels for one another. We felt we had nothing to prove to no one and kept our ceremony very simple. The money a big fancy wedding would have cost us was spent as our down payment on a new home. Money does not last forever, but love can!

fancyfingers

Well when my ex husband and I got married all we did was go to the court house and sign, no family, no wedding dress, not even a ring. Not because I did not want to or because we did not have the money for at least a simple ceremony but because he did not think it was important. It made me feel like he did not love me as much as I did him.

I think a ceremony is a nice memory and symbol of the promises and commitments made on that special day and so for my next marriage I will definitely be wanting a big ceremony celebrating our love.

What do you guys think? What would you be happy with?
I would not be happy if I couldn't celebrate that special day in my life with my family and friends. A wedding is what you make of it. Many people I see getting married focus on the wedding day, and all these material things that go with that one day, that will be used just one day, and not focus on the bigger picture, the life after the big wedding. It shouldn't matter if you have a bbq or a 7 course sit down dinner. As long as you have family and friends there, that should matter.

A

artistry

Big weddings are like the culmination of the Cinderella story. Young girls look forward to the gorgeous white dress with the bridesmaids and their colorful dresses, and so if they do not experience that, then there is usually disappointment.
Depending on the circumstances, if one has the financial means, or if a younger woman, and the parents can afford a large wedding, then fine. But if there are reasons which prevent having a big wedding, then as long as the two individuals love and care for the other, and they are in agreement with the plans, then so be it. It is a celebration of two people vowing to share their lives together and hopefully love one another, big wedding or small, or no large ceremony. I see no reason for serious regret over not having a big wedding. Celebrate later, with a big 10 year anniversary party. That would be a truly, great reason to cheer.

Mon-Jes

When I was very small, I used to think about something vaguely princessy-weddinglike. I don't think a huge marriage was in my mind that early on. As I got older, I actually came to dislike the huge wedding thing. Now what I see are people who have simple ceremonies having happy marriages, while the big productions don't do too well.

rose banks

When I was married, I can say it was somewhat a big wedding. All our friends and relatives are there, it's a church wedding, we have beautiful voice singers, nice choir, a big cake, good foods, all sponsors are very well dressed up, we have a lot of big gifts, like appliances, we received cash and check gifts. All-in-all a perfect wedding and I'm thankful for it. But honestly, all of this is really not necessary, what's important is, we get blessed in the church and that's all.

bneil

A simple wwedding would just be enough, as long as you two couples are inlove with each other and are serious to take this step in your life.

Ryan Doug

I always wanted to have a big wedding ceremony because I want to make my special day very important and worth reminiscing. A simple wedding can do, but as long as I can support a big wedding, I will always choose to make it happen. Money is not an issue, as I want to give only the best for my partner. It is a great reward for the couple to have a very sophisticated wedding :)