I'm curious - How do you overcome the fear of something new in your career or business?

Dr. Tranquille

Recently, I have come into contact with quite a few individuals who struggle with fear. I too have taken many strides in pushing past the fear, getting out of my comfort zone and doing things that I have never done in my business. Fear is one of the biggest destiny blockers, because what it really does is keep your talents and abilities captive. We are all confronted with fear at different points in our life. Perhaps, is the fear of taking on a big client. Or, the fear of putting ourselves out there; or the fear of new technology and the list goes on.

When I encounter fear, I focus on my big WHY and this gives my the inner drive that I need to push past in and do what needs to be done.

I'm curious - anyone wants to share what they do to overcome fear?

DayProv

Advisor Member
Recently, I have come into contact with quite a few individuals who struggle with fear. I too have taken many strides in pushing past the fear, getting out of my comfort zone and doing things that I have never done in my business. Fear is one of the biggest destiny blockers, because what it really does is keep your talents and abilities captive. We are all confronted with fear at different points in our life. Perhaps, is the fear of taking on a big client. Or, the fear of putting ourselves out there; or the fear of new technology and the list goes on.

When I encounter fear, I focus on my big WHY and this gives my the inner drive that I need to push past in and do what needs to be done.

Hey, one quote from David J. Schwartz says: "Action cures fear." That´s the approach many people are using (including me). Only way to beat fear of something, is to do exactly what you are afraid of.
There is also good book about it, 5 second rule. The approach is that anything you should do, anything you fear, just count 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and then simply do it.
This is the best way to deal with fear.

denydritz

Coaching Member
It depends on what's causing the fear. Some fear responses are caused by a deeply rooted trauma, perhaps physical or psychological trauma. This type of fear can reach clinical levels and require a physician to cure.

Other than that, some fear responses come from past experiences. The current event triggers our memory of a past experience that we don't like, such as being ridiculed, laughed at, dismissed or others. We can think back to this memory and then release the emotional component attached to it so that it doesn't control our present.

But I learn from my mentor that there is no fear. In any situation, it's either a situation you want or a situation you don't want. If it's a situation you want, then be grateful. If it's situation you don't want, then be curious and figure out what you can do to change it.

ChaseE

I find and study people who were in the same situation as I who moved past it. This allows me to trust in the outcome.

This is why reading biographies are so important. You realize that everyone has had a rough climb and that we are all in the same boat.

James Spears

Great question. It helps to better understand fear if we also contemplate courage. Courage and fear are essentially opposites, and to overcome fear we need to use courage. Also related to courage are our core strengths, so to move beyond fear it helps to draw from our inner strengths, and then use those strengths to be courageous. In my writing and practice I work with something called the Triad of Courage, and it consists of courage, strengths, and self-confidence. These three forces all interconnect and support each other.

Related to this is what I call the primary fear triad, and it consists of fear, self-doubt, and weakness. When these factors prevail in our consciousness, we will remain stuck, anxious, and worried.

To overcome fear look to your inner strengths, and then use those strengths to act with courage.

I have written a book about this very topic.

Warm Regards,

James Spears
www.sevenvirtuesforsuccess.com

7VTEFinalCover small.png

I love Tim Ferris's "Fear Setting" technique. Basically, you write down the worst possible outcome and then everything you would do to overcome it. In most cases, when faced with an impossible situation, we find a way to hit it head on and overcome it because we HAVE to.

So, if fear is stopping you from doing something, reflect on what it is that you're afraid of, write it down, and then write down every single action you would take to overcome it.

By doing this, I think you'll see that there's nothing to fear, but fear itself ;)

henks20

Hi folks!

How do you deal with fear/stress effects? Here, I mean e.g. shaking hands, problem with speaking. Sometimes, when it comes to very stressful situation, I am not able to do anything. I am soo paralyzed. What are you tips?

Hi folks!

How do you deal with fear/stress effects? Here, I mean e.g. shaking hands, problem with speaking. Sometimes, when it comes to very stressful situation, I am not able to do anything. I am soo paralyzed. What are you tips?
Hey henks2,

Great question! When I speak, I get a massive surge of adrenaline which causes my hands to shake. I think it's from fight or flight, but it dissipates in about 5 minutes. I've researched how to get this to stop, but what I've found is that you shouldn't try to suppress the feelings, as that only makes it worse.

Instead, I've read that you should acknowledge the feelings but channel them into positive emotions. For example, the physiological response for fear and excitement are the same, so the next time to feel scared to do something, try connecting with the way you feel and tell yourself that you're excited.

I don't know if it will help. My hands still shake, but I try to start my talks off with enough energy that it dissipates more quickly.

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
I agree Austin, thinking of fear as excitement has helped me before public speaking. It shifts your attitude about the physical reaction in a useful way. Not only does it help avoid the negative thinking, but you come across in a more positive way to others if you're thinking "this is exciting!".

What has also helped me doing short 10 minute meditation practice when I can, and using that to learn how to quiet my mind on demand. Being able to just stop thinking so much and focusing on the breath. The fear and stress often arises from the useless mental chatter. You can try change the mental chatter, but even better if you can get rid of it.