I need to get rid of lots of stuff

iebo

I believe that living in a cluttered environment can really affect a person's well-being, as it can lead to disorganization and self-image problems. Over the years I have collected a lot of things I don't need or even want, often as a result of others pushing them on to me. I used to have a rental property and my last tenant left a lot of stuff, and now its just sitting in my home. Others have given me presents that I never asked for and don't want. I'm going to be moving soon, and see it as a good opportunity to get rid of a lot of this stuff.

What are some good ways of getting rid of things that you've had success with?

speedy

Advisor Member
Where are you located? My husband used to sell things on craigslist that he don't need. If you are in the US and don't want to sell them, maybe you can make an on Craigslist for Free Items so somebody who needs your things will come and pick it up. Or you can bring it to the flea market and give to people for free or you can give it to charity houses as they might need them.

moneymakingmom

Coaching Member
This might be the perfect opportunity to do a good thing for your Karma by donating much of your unwanted items to a local homeless shelter or battered woman's shelter. These places are always in need of clean bed linens, sheets, covers, pillow cases, furniture, clothing, shoes, winter clothes (especially for the homeless shelter) and any other items you can generously donate.

If you have any good condition children clothes, toys or video games/consoles, you might think about donating them to a youth center or foster care center for the children to use.

My personal philosophy has always been that you must first open your hand and give what you have to receive the blessings you deserve.

When you un-clutter your closets and selflessly give to those in need, your spirit will feel free, your mind will be clear and your heart will be open to the many possibilities of a bountiful life.

beingwell

Why don't you look over your stuff and see what you can sell on ebay?:D Make some money out of your unwanted things, perhaps others will want them and may even be eager to pay for them. Or you can always send them over to your friends as gifts or some kind.

Yolanda

I agree that giving your unwanted things to people in need is a good way of both getting your home uncluttered and doing a good deed at the same time. Selling your items is an option as well, but it takes time to sell them and if they don't sell, you'll get stuck with it. I would personally choose to give the items away and help someone who might desperately need them. A lot of places where you could donate your belongings are already mentioned, so I won't sum them up again. Good luck with getting your home uncluttered! ;-)

iebo

Well yesterday I went to a garage sale event and managed to sell some stuff. I only made about $20, but I am just glad to have less stuff cluttering my home. I sold some things that I never use or look at, so I will not miss them. And some of the things I didn't sell will be sold at sale benefiting a family member's church.

beingwell

Well yesterday I went to a garage sale event and managed to sell some stuff. I only made about $20, but I am just glad to have less stuff cluttering my home. I sold some things that I never use or look at, so I will not miss them. And some of the things I didn't sell will be sold at sale benefiting a family member's church.
Good for you iebo. I think $20 for things you don't need is already a good deal. You may have even given something more valuable to the person whom you sold your things to. Good luck on your next sale, then!

Cecil Estrera

Nice job friend. I'm glad you finally came up with a useful solution to your problem.
Hope more people would do something like what you did.

zararina

Coaching Member
It is really a good idea organizing a garage sale to remove clutters at home and at the same time earn from it. Some items you might not need could be valuable for others. Giving it to friends, neighbors and/or charity is also a very good idea.

vest007

I think Ebay is the best place to sell your unwanted stuff if you are outside the US. If you are in the US, then you can try Craiglist. I have used Ebay in the past and it helped me to fetch decent amounts for stuff which I just wanted to get rid off.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
Lighten up your loads -- I mean stuffs. In the past, the best way to do is through garage sale. Just invite your friends, relatives, neighbors and even strangers to come and see what you can offer for heavily discounted prices. Today, you can still do garage sale though you can also offer your stuffs online. There are now big sites accommodating sellers everywhere. Another way to get rid of those stuffs you don't need is to donate those with charity organizations and i am sure you can find one in your locality. Had we been neighbor, I could have ask you to give me some...

KingManta

Yeah I would suggest sorting out what you want to keep and what you can let go of.
For the stuff you can let go of, sort it into stuff to give away, stuff to sell and stuff to throw out.
Anything in terrible condition should just be tossed. If something has good monetary value then it's a good idea to sell it for some extra cash, and give anything else away to family or charity like the Salvation Army.

diamondlisa

I agree that donating your unwanted items is a great idea and will give you a great feeling of peace. There are so many families everywhere suffering from the economy and damage to their homes caused by storms. Our things could be like gold to others.

KingManta

I agree that donating your unwanted items is a great idea and will give you a great feeling of peace. There are so many families everywhere suffering from the economy and damage to their homes caused by storms. Our things could be like gold to others.
That's a great point.
Like they say, one man's trash is another's treasure.
Some of our old unwanted furniture, clothing etc. would be very well appreciated in poorer third world countries.

Matt

I would sell some of your stuff, especially if you are looking to get some more money. I wouldn't say that having things cluttered around is a bad thing and will effect your health. My dad always liked this quote by Albert Einstein and I will share it with you right now.

"If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, Of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?"
-Albert Einstein

KingManta

I would sell some of your stuff, especially if you are looking to get some more money. I wouldn't say that having things cluttered around is a bad thing and will effect your health. My dad always liked this quote by Albert Einstein and I will share it with you right now.

"If a cluttered desk signs a cluttered mind, Of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?"
-Albert Einstein
Haha, good quote.
What an amazing mind Albert Einstein was.
I think some clutter is good, but only to a certain extent. There's nothing wrong with having lots of stuff, but it should be organized.