I have a question about looking for a new job.

songbird

I am currently working, but my job does not pay enough money. I am going to start looking for a new job. Should I tell my current boss that I am looking for a new job or should I keep quiet about it? I

yurithebest1

In my point of view, i think that you shouldn't tell your boss that you're looking for a new job right now because he will be mad at you, you should wait till you found an appropriate one then go ahead and tell him, because if you tell him before finding a job he might fire you and you'll be unemployed.

songbird

In my point of view, i think that you shouldn't tell your boss that you're looking for a new job right now because he will be mad at you, you should wait till you found an appropriate one then go ahead and tell him, because if you tell him before finding a job he might fire you and you'll be unemployed.
I agree, But I would like the companies that I am applying for to know what kind of a worker I have been. How do I do this without letting my boss know I am looking for another job?

yurithebest1

Oh i see what you mean, it looks like that they want a recommendation letter or something like that to know that you're a good worker, right?
I think that you should simply tell them that you're afraid to lose your current job, but if they assure you that they're gonna hire you, then go kindly to your boss and explain to him the situation and i'm pretty sure he will understand.

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
If you feel you would get a good reference, then you should take advantage of that and tell your boss. You don't want it to come across in a negative way such as an implied threat that you'll leave if you don't get something you want. Rather that you're simply asking or telling your boss that you'd like to use him/her as a reference for some interviews you will be attending. You could tell your boss it's a long shot but that you'd like to try.

Looking for better jobs is part of life and any boss with half a brain will know that happens, and if they are a good boss they will be happy and supportive of you, and respect that you wish to better your career. I've had several people that worked for me move onto new jobs, it's part of the process to fill behind them and plan for this. Keep in mind your boss probably didn't get to where he/she is without taking on new jobs too, and they may actually think less of someone who wants to spend their whole career without even trying to move up to new and better things.

I even had one person go so far as to ask what their strengths and weaknesses are so that they can better prepare for moving up to the next level. It really impressed me that someone would seek this information, and it's a compliment to a boss to be asked to coach them on career and skills development. If you do this, it can give some valuable insight into what your boss might say about you in a reference check, and give you the opportunity to shore up perceived weaknesses you might not be aware of. The thing is, if you ask the question then you have to be prepared not to defend yourself of weakness areas, and simply accept what you are told and work on it. A good reference can be a big factor in getting the job if you get through the interview phase.

songbird

If you feel you would get a good reference, then you should take advantage of that and tell your boss. You don't want it to come across in a negative way such as an implied threat that you'll leave if you don't get something you want. Rather that you're simply asking or telling your boss that you'd like to use him/her as a reference for some interviews you will be attending. You could tell your boss it's a long shot but that you'd like to try.

Looking for better jobs is part of life and any boss with half a brain will know that happens, and if they are a good boss they will be happy and supportive of you, and respect that you wish to better your career. I've had several people that worked for me move onto new jobs, it's part of the process to fill behind them and plan for this. Keep in mind your boss probably didn't get to where he/she is without taking on new jobs too, and they may actually think less of someone who wants to spend their whole career without even trying to move up to new and better things.

I even had one person go so far as to ask what their strengths and weaknesses are so that they can better prepare for moving up to the next level. It really impressed me that someone would seek this information, and it's a compliment to a boss to be asked to coach them on career and skills development. If you do this, it can give some valuable insight into what your boss might say about you in a reference check, and give you the opportunity to shore up perceived weaknesses you might not be aware of. The thing is, if you ask the question then you have to be prepared not to defend yourself of weakness areas, and simply accept what you are told and work on it. A good reference can be a big factor in getting the job if you get through the interview phase.
Thanks, this was very helpful.

KingManta

I'd say hold off until you are getting some good offers from other companies to work.
If you have several job offers, then go to your boss for the recommendation. Make sure to express why you're leaving..for the money, not because you don't like the job.

zararina

Coaching Member
I also think you should not tell your boss since maybe he will think you will not do your best on your job since you have a plan to resign. Just find ways how to apply to some other job and still go to your present work if you really need money. If you could afford to resign first so that you could concentrate in finding a new job, it will be up to you.

slicing_angel2003

I think it all depend on the kind of job you are currently working. If the job you have is a simple low level job then informing your boss may not be needed until you have the new job, but at the same time the boss may be willing to work with you as far as improving working conditions and pay to keep you from going somewhere else. Either way I would recommend giving and working at least a two week notice. The state I live in is a Work At Will State so a two week notice isn't needed, but is nice to provide. It also means that the employer can fire you for no reason. I've given a two week notice to a boss who knew I had another job and he looked at me, smiled, and fired me so I wouldn't have to work both jobs for two weeks.

iebo

I've heard of people getting fired just for looking for another job. You could perhaps look for part-time work that doesn't interfere with your current job. I wouldn't tell your boss though if you're looking to leave the company.

Cecil Estrera

I agree with Slicing Angel, you must at least inform your boss earlier if you already plan to resign. But I suggest that you don't resign yet until you've found new job to replace your current one. It's a bit risky move and I hope that things would end up well in your career.

Matt

Yes, I wouldn't tell your boss. He could fire you because of that and then it is a lot harder to get a job when you are unemployed because people will ask, why aren't you working? It would be best to tell him once you have your job. Good luck finding one!!

amy005

I think you should just get an extra job if you are able to that will supplement your income and keep both. That way you can be honest with your boss and just say you are getting an additional job. If you still somewhat like your job there is no point in quitting unless you are unable to work both jobs because of the hours of the current job that you work.

DeeNeely

You have to approach the situation with strategy. Most applications allow you to select whether you want them to contact your current employer. I usually select no. In most situations they don't need to contact your current employer until they get further along the selection process. Once they determine you are a possible good choice will they want to contact your employer.

In most places you only need to give a two-week notices that you are going to quit. There is no use giving your current employer a heads up further than that because they may find a replacement before you are ready to move. If you work in a "right to work state" in the United States this is very important because they don't have to give you a reason to let you go.

easysunrise

Never tell your boss you are looking. When you turn in your notice, give 2 wks notice, and that is acceptable. If you need references, use other people that know you. You put yourself in jepordy with your current job if you tell anyone.

kevinm

It depends on the type of company and boss you work for.
If the boss is good and understanding then you can give a hint that you are looking for better opportunities.
If not, then unless you are sure you got another job or received the offer letter, there is no need to tell your current boss. But once you are sure to land another job, give two-week notice that you are going to quit. The notice period maybe different for different companies.

AmazingP

Advisor Member
Generally speaking, it would not help you to be telling your current employer that you are looking for another job because that will surely signifies that you are not satisfied with your present company and you are therefore making yourself worthless in the eyes of your employer. Of course, not unless you are sure that your boss would just understand and would just take it as just a normal process. Now, when you already have a new job in the bag then it is your duty to talk to your boss and tell him your decision so that adjustments can begin as soon as possible.