I have a hard time getting things done...

Discussion in 'General Self Improvement' started by Marcus, Oct 3, 2017. Replies: 10 | Views: 271

1. Marcus

Marcus New Member

Student
    I'm sure that this topic has been discused over and over again, but I have been struggling with this for a while, and I feel that I need to tell my own story, and hopefully get some specific advice.

I'm 21 years old and I recently moved in my own apartment again. I moved out the first time when I was 18 and the problem with procrastinaion went completley out of hand back then. In the end my kitchen was always full of dirty dishes, the rest of the apartment messy and all I did was go to school, and then play computer when I got home, often continuing until late at night, and being very tired the day after.

Since then, I have matured quite alot and the problem is far from as bad. But it's there and I feel it's only going in one direction. I'm trying different things, to overcome it, such as getting good sleeping habbits and eating well, but I feel like it's 1 step forward and 2 backwards. Lately I've been trying these apps for creating good habits, but I find it hard to keep doing one thing for a long time, and also it's hard to know which habits to start with, since having too many obviously doesn't work.

I want to have an apartment that is always decently clean and tidy and I need some habits in terms of doing my homework and other tasks.

Right now my apartment is not a very good enviroment for me. Everytime I come home and see dishes I know was supposed to be done or extreme mess, I feel guilty and bad about myself. I don't expect it to shine everyday, but I feel I need it at a certain standard for me to thrive there.

Sorry for the long post. I hope someone have taken their time to read through and can give me some advice.

Thanks in advance.

2. Todd Hicks

Todd Hicks Senior Member

freelancer/entrepreneur
    You must make the choice to eliminate procrastination then follow through. Also, it helps to clean up and do other tasks you may dread little by little and not all at once.

3. Marcus

Marcus New Member

Student
    I have made the choice, because I know I don't thrive as it is now. The follow through I'm still working on. I like the idea of doing things little by little though.
    Thanks for the response!

Todd Hicks likes this.
  4. Ricardo Ortiz

Ricardo Ortiz Advisor Member

Clinical Psychotherapist
    I find it easier to do things that are boring by combining it with some activity that is fun. For instance, there are times when I have to do the dishes and I listen to music with my earphones on. Or If I have to do a boring paper I play a wonderful fun movie on Netflix. The trick here is to combine it with something you like. For me this helps also doing things small steps at a time.

ndcharles, Todd Hicks and Marcus like this.
  5. ndcharles

ndcharles Member

I guess we're both in same shoes @OP.
    Ortiz, your suggestion works well but like he said, concentrating on an action for long is quite difficult.
    One of the reasons is having too many things on mind to do.
    Does anyone have a solution to de-clutter the mind and take actions one thing at a time.

6. Ry!

Ry! Member

Have a gander at this Ted Talk. He discusses how he went from a C student to an A student by changing his working habits. I've also listened to a podcast called Cortex where CGP Grey also talks about changing the system to get better results, not just trying harder. Trying harder never works, you need better systems. Maybe your system is that you aren't allowed to play anything until you've done dishes etc. whatever. That's something that works well for small tasks like that. Something else to consider is that it gets easier over time. Currently your brain is literally wired to procrastinate, but after you start taking care of things immediately your brain will be wired to work so in the future. So after acquiring this new habit it will become part of who you are and leaving them undone will be as hard as doing them now.

Michael_Lost likes this.
  7. Jeff4490A

Jeff4490A New Member

I’ve struggled with these same things, procrastination which leads to clutter and inability to focus…

One of the things I did was to de-clutter everything literally. I threw out or gave away all of the stuff I didn’t really need. That left less stuff to clutter up right off the bat and helped clear my mind.

I find meditation a few times a day very helpful. I know some may be hesitant to try meditation but it doesn't have to be “weird” it can be as simple as taking 10 minutes a few times a day to just focus on breathing. Over time this will lower your overall stress and make it easier to focus. I’ve found after a week or so of consistently mediating for a few minutes I start to feel the benefits.

I have also had success with scheduling; I just use a Google calendar to map out my day and weeks with anchors and triggers. For example every time I finish eating dinner I know the 15 minutes immediately following that is for doing the days dishes and cleaning up a bit.

I am not sure what everybody’s resources are but one option may be to take yourself out of the equation altogether and just delegate it. Hire someone to come in once a week or twice a month and keep it cleaned up, delegate the stuff you don’t like. I hate doing and folding wash for example so I drop it off each week. Sometimes it’s not that we are lazy or procrastinators but that we’re not excited about what we have to do, so if possible put someone on it and you may find it easier to get motivated and focused on the stuff that you like doing.

ndcharles likes this.
  8. ang.necole11

ang.necole11 Member

Allow yourself to do one task a day as opposed to overwhelming yourself. Maybe monday you clean the bath and tuesday you clean the floors and etc. From there, you can set yourself a schedule to follow. Also, before you leave a room give it a quick tidy up before you leave. That way you don't allow the mess to pile up.

9. joy

joy New Member

blogger
    i had that problem or should i say i am also fighting the problem of procrastination, but i have learnt to do one thing at a time thats how i have been able to fight it.

10. Erwin

Erwin Member

Being in a situation where one is overwhelmed and feel lost is not uncommon. Being self aware and recognising it is the first step of the solution. This 2 mins video have some great insights to make your brain focus and hopefully you will be able to get things done.

11. Michael_Lost

Michael_Lost Member

This is gold. Because at one moment you will be full of motivation and other times you will have 0. For me it works the best if I just say to my self "I will just clean for 5 minutes." That way you lower the bar to such a low level that you will automatically do more once you start. It is also a good idea for cleaning up and such to pick a time like after dinner and every day do just 5 min of cleaning. Music or Audio-books always help.
    Good luck!