I hate daily routines. Is that okay?

I’ve seen the advice “Have a daily routine.” everywhere. So I’ve tried it. And for the first day or two, it’s nice to tick the boxes and feel like I’ve had a productive day. But any longer than that, and I start to feel bored and stuck.
I’ve tried changing my schedule around to combat that, but my schedule always begins to feel like a prison.
BUT! I find that if I just plan what I want to do the night before, I can get excited about the day ahead, and the next day, I feel great. The downside I’ve noticed is that its not always the most efficient way of getting things done.

What do you guys think of having a daily schedule?
Is it truly necessary? Why or why not?
Do you love them?
Do you hate them?
If you’re like me and don’t have one, what to you do instead?

Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

denydritz

Coaching Member
A daily routine and a daily schedule, the way I see it, are two different things. A routine can be done during a certain time of day, like a morning routine. A daily schedule involves all the tasks you want to do for the day.

If you feel excited about tomorrow by planning tonight, then continue with that. I wouldn't worry much about doing things in the most efficient manner, what matters is getting things done. I don't do activities for the sake of feeling productive, I do them because it moves me towards my goal (that includes not doing anything if nothing I do today can move me closer to my goal).

When you reach your goal, it doesn't really matter how efficiently you got there. Would you be upset if you became a multi-millionaire but it wasn't the most efficient path? I think NO millionaire would say they managed to walk the most efficient path to their success, it's always filled with messy problems and setbacks.

I think denydritz is spot on! I write about routines a lot on my blog because I love them and they help me to stay on track. But a routine is more like this: I wake up at 4:45, get some coffee, open my blog and start working on my daily tasks. Then, at around 6:30, I go for a run and listen to a podcast.

This routine helps me keep my blog moving forward, it keeps me fit, and it creates time for personal development.

Best of all, it gets my day started off in the right frame of mind and I've completed my most important personal tasks before the day begins. Once I'm at work, my routine is less effective as my busy sales schedule takes over.

I hope that makes sense!

Thanks for the great question, allthethoughts!

Brett Slater

You do have a daily routine, you wake up, you take a s**t, get dressed and eat morning done.
Now if you want more it takes more effort. If you want to become mister/misses universe then you need to have it all planned out it is just the way it is.
Some people make it look easy and they love it, some have to push every day. I love the story about KFC Colonel Sanders, failed so many times it took him 65 years but he nailed it.
Don't give UP!