I don't see the point in working hard at my day job

psdev

So for the past few months, the type of job that I work I don't see the point in working hard. The way I look at it, I don't get praise for doing a good job, I don't get paid extra and I just make my life harder and get taken advantage of more, so why should I? I started work same time as someone else and that person does alot more than me, and even they sort of regret doing more and taking initiative. I find that in life things lose purpose for me somewhat fast.

I am looking for new work, work that I actually want to do or at least see the value in. Just wondering do you guys think this is a bad mindset to have? My logic is basically jobs which I deem worthless I won't work hard and jobs I see the value in I will.

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
A good reason to work hard (or at least work smart and effectively) is that many employers will want to talk to your last manager as part of a reference check process and ask about you. I've doing a lot of hiring as a manager, and that reference check can really make a difference if you're one of the final candidates.

psdev

A good reason to work hard (or at least work smart and effectively) is that many employers will want to talk to your last manager as part of a reference check process and ask about you. I've doing a lot of hiring as a manager, and that reference check can really make a difference if you're one of the final candidates.
I agree with you there, though in the back of my mind I'm thinking "I going to work hard just for this small moment, is it worth it?" That's what goes in my head. My manager likes me but I don't know if he would give me a good reference he can see how I work along with others.

stoicmind

Maybe it's about meaning or lack thereof.
Or you feel like what you're doing doesn't have a purpose that aligns with yours.

Which makes you not see the point in what you're doing.

EricNSpotswood

So for the past few months, the type of job that I work I don't see the point in working hard. The way I look at it, I don't get praise for doing a good job, I don't get paid extra and I just make my life harder and get taken advantage of more, so why should I? I started work same time as someone else and that person does alot more than me, and even they sort of regret doing more and taking initiative. I find that in life things lose purpose for me somewhat fast.

I am looking for new work, work that I actually want to do or at least see the value in. Just wondering do you guys think this is a bad mindset to have? My logic is basically jobs which I deem worthless I won't work hard and jobs I see the value in I will.
Sometimes we like to put the cart before the horse. Taking pride in one's work and doing a good job when no one is watching are timeless virtues. Those things do not change, our jobs do. Instead of wanting external praise, try enjoying the self-gratification that comes automatically from a a job well done. If you do not like the job you have, change your mind. Tell yourself you do like that job twice as often as you tell yourself you don't. Think about your coworkers. There is probably someone in your job that is better off because you're there. You might be unconsciously setting the bar high for them, which will lead them to better opportunities. It could be that a client only uses your company because you're there, this helps everyone stay employed. We need to give more of what we want to receive. Try changing that ratio and see what happens. This is your true work.

denydritz

Coaching Member
Hm, I understand your thinking. There is no immediate benefit of working hard, when there is no incentive for you to work hard. There's nothing wrong with this mindset, per se.

However, it's correct that your performance may become a reference for a future job. If you're in this job as a stepping stone towards a future job, then there's a reason to perform well. But if it's just a job, then yeah it's best to simply get things done as efficiently as possible.

Maybe there's a way for you to do a good job, according to the expectations of your company and manager, but not necessarily make you feel like you're working hard?

pranaman

I would invite you to think ahead. What do you want? Independence, freedom, security? You might want to look into a strategy, and decide what to do now, to get what you want later.

hermoneymind

It took me almost 20 years to now land my dream job. That involved working in jobs I hated with bosses I couldn't stand.

Each time, I look for what value I can take out of it, and what value I can create where I am. I've made a boring routine job interesting by figuring out a way to change the processes to make them more efficient. I honed my people skills and EQ at working with micromanaging bosses and negative colleagues. I learned to be more assertive and confident. How to ask my bosses for what I want to do in my job and what I don't, negotiate a higher pay etc. It was a journey to learn all these skills that I gained through different jobs, different bosses, different companies.

When I did change jobs, I tried to be clear about the pull factors that attracted me to the new jobs rather than succumb to push factors and accepting a new job because I was desperate to get out of the old one. Those push factors always led to bad career choices.

I know it's easier to look back in retrospect at all those tough times and it's a lot harder when you're actually going through them. But I think all those experiences helped me get to where I am today and to really appreciate everything that's great about my job now.

Success isn't linear. There will be good periods and really tough ones. It took me a long time to realize it's about making the best out of a bad situation and how you can come out even better or stronger so you're prepared when the right thing eventually does come along - which it will, if you're constantly in the mindset of improving, whatever it may be - yourself, your situation or your opportunities.

Is there any portion of your job now that you can find value in, no matter how small?
Can you focus your energy to get really great at that for a start?
When you get really great at that one area, you can then take that to your next job or use it to negotiate a higher pay or revised job scope with your boss?
When you are recognized for your value, bosses will be more willing to negotiate with you.

All the best!