I decided that flipping burgers sucks

justinprovement

At first I aspired to be a grand master burger flipping champion but I quickly realized that $6 an hour after taxes isn't enough for me to be your bitch and get bitched at on top of it. The work sucked. I would go home drenched in sweat and greasy. The environment sucked because everybody knew they were getting paid less than half of what a normal, sane, even relatively intelligent person who has a choice in the matter would accept for doing such a s**t job. I worked the drive-thru for a brief maybe 20 minute to a half an hour and this one lady insisted that I wipe down the cup her cold latte thing was in. I guess she didn't notice that she had to wait 10+ minutes to get her stupid latte and that there were like 15 cars behind her because I couldn't believe when she held up the drive-thru to demand that I wipe down her drink when it was just the humidity. It was far from dripping wet. I think she must have had OCD or something. The reason I bring it up is because I just want to let you know that you should never piss somebody off who is serving/making your food/drinks... especially when they're being slave driven for Mexican wages in America.

At this point I am filling out and emailing an application for a 15-16 an hour job on the back of a garbage truck. They said they're always hiring. I'm also going to fill out an application at a restaurant to work on weekends and I know the owner so it's pretty much guaranteed hours on the weekends. I also want to find time to apprentice with a butcher I know who has let me work with him before but I haven't seen in months because I'm so stuck in a cycle of perpetually doing absolutely nothing.

I'm still trying to move forward. Also, in case you're wondering, I didn't do anything to that woman's drink. I wasn't upset at all I just thought it was somewhat of a ridiculous request given the circumstances. I think she probably suffered from some sort of mental disorder beyond her control. I just bring it up because I know for sure that some people that work at these insultingly low paying, high paced and miserable fast food places would probably spit on your food at least for giving them any sort of a hard time about anything.

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
Nice that you have something better to go for. I had a buddy once that drove a garbage truck, said he loved the job because he was outside moving around and active. I lost track of him though, he later got a girlfriend and then said he had no time for a guy friend. I didn't get that, but to each their own.

So true on food workers. I'm always careful what I say, it seems these days people are so easily offended.

DreamLifeRules

Coaching Member
At first I aspired to be a grand master burger flipping champion but I quickly realized that $6 an hour after taxes isn't enough for me to be your bitch and get bitched at on top of it. The work sucked. I would go home drenched in sweat and greasy. The environment sucked because everybody knew they were getting paid less than half of what a normal, sane, even relatively intelligent person who has a choice in the matter would accept for doing such a s**t job. I worked the drive-thru for a brief maybe 20 minute to a half an hour and this one lady insisted that I wipe down the cup her cold latte thing was in. I guess she didn't notice that she had to wait 10+ minutes to get her stupid latte and that there were like 15 cars behind her because I couldn't believe when she held up the drive-thru to demand that I wipe down her drink when it was just the humidity. It was far from dripping wet. I think she must have had OCD or something. The reason I bring it up is because I just want to let you know that you should never piss somebody off who is serving/making your food/drinks... especially when they're being slave driven for Mexican wages in America.

At this point I am filling out and emailing an application for a 15-16 an hour job on the back of a garbage truck. They said they're always hiring. I'm also going to fill out an application at a restaurant to work on weekends and I know the owner so it's pretty much guaranteed hours on the weekends. I also want to find time to apprentice with a butcher I know who has let me work with him before but I haven't seen in months because I'm so stuck in a cycle of perpetually doing absolutely nothing.

I'm still trying to move forward. Also, in case you're wondering, I didn't do anything to that woman's drink. I wasn't upset at all I just thought it was somewhat of a ridiculous request given the circumstances. I think she probably suffered from some sort of mental disorder beyond her control. I just bring it up because I know for sure that some people that work at these insultingly low paying, high paced and miserable fast food places would probably spit on your food at least for giving them any sort of a hard time about anything.
Thanks for sharing your experience and for warning to choose our words wisely.

I am really glad that you are trying to move forward, that you already filling your application, and you want to work even for weekends. You have a big advantage over those, who aren´t willing to work hard and moving constantly forward. I think that with right guidance, you ´ll become as successful as you want to be.

I hope you next job will be more fulfilling for you. Good Luck!

denydritz

Coaching Member
you should never piss somebody off who is serving/making your food/drinks
Point taken.

It sounds like you're not happy about your situation though (correct me if I'm wrong). Are the jobs/positions you're applying for simply to make a living or is it part of a bigger plan? Particularly, is applying to be an apprentice butcher something you've wanted to do for a while, or is it because you think it'll be easy to land the position because you know the person?