How to overcome the fear of public speaking?

Hello everybody,

what do you think about overcoming the fear of public speaking? Recently I came across this article ( http://confident4good.com/public-speaking-fear/ ) and it basically says, that all the "traditional" ways of getting rid of it are not useful at all and you need to go deeper.
Do you guys agree? Are traditional pieces of advice old-fashioned?

denydritz

Coaching Member
Fear of public speaking comes from thinking about your self image instead of the message you want to say.

When we focus on our self image, it becomes a priority. What other people think about us, what other people say, and how they react to us, becomes more important and urgent than the message we want to send.

Thinking about our self image creates conflict in our mind. We divide our mental energy between making sure we "look good" and also saying the "right words." The effect is that we become afraid to speak in public, or nervous when we do, and we don't get our message across in an effective manner.

Therefore, focus on the message you want to say, without thinking about your self-image. Some degree of presentation fluency is necessary, but only as a support to send your message, not to "look good." If you believe your message is important enough, and you are competent about the topic on a basic level, then public speaking should be enjoyable and rewarding.

I used public speaking as a case study for an article I wrote. Hopefully it can help: http://propelyourwealth.com/how-to-reprogram-your-mind-for-success/

I used to be terrified of public speaking. I remember in college I was a leader of my fraternity. I avoided public speaking because I was scared of people's opinions. After I graduated, I joined Toastmasters. I made it my mission to speak in the club every week. Got better and won a whole bunch of speech competitions. You won't become a professional from joining Toastmasters but you will get over that fear you have.