How to overcome laziness

Here's an excerpt for you:

Set some achievable goals. By setting yourself some worthy yet attainable goals, you have something to look forward to. Pick goals which really inspire you and that make the most of your talents and skills. Picture what you really want. Take care not to set the bar too low––low goals will not motivate you and are too easy to sidestep with excuses that you've already achieved them. The types of lofty long-term goals you might like to strive for include: saving to buy a home or red sports car, starting a family, completing an educational qualification, or fulfilling your life long dreams (maybe you've been wanting to open a bookstore, an arcade, or start your own publishing company). For short-term goals, you might use deadlines or events as the endpoint. Make a to-do list, both of large and small things, and prioritize each one in terms of time needed and importance to you personally.
http://www.wikihow.com/Overcome-Laziness

A

artistry

Interesting points, all. It is true visualization works. Set your mind on your goal, see it, it does help to acconplish what your want.

GSTS

One suggestion that I've found helpful is to think about what it’ll be like after you finish the project instead of focusing on every little hurdle you'll come across during the process. (read this somewhere on a psychology website) I wrote a blog about stopping procrastination. A book that has really helped me is Eat That Frog.

This is one of my worst traits. I put off projects all the time because I cannot focus on them at that moment. So I figure I will get something else done in the meantime, and never return to it.

A

artistry

Procrastination is a bad habit, once you decide that it steals your time, you may embrace doing it less. "Just do it" could be a great slogan.

When I was working managing paid search campaigns, I would get a lot done on a given day. It was almost zen like to be updating the campaigns and pulling reports on them to see how everything was doing. I really got into writing Excel formulas as well. When I find my mojo so to speak, I'm a well oiled machine. When someone comes along and throws chaos into everything, I have a hard time getting back into the swing of things. I get too distracted with anger and resentment.

A

artistry

When things that are impotant in our lives get thrown out of whack, as humans, we are going to have negative emotions come into play. The best thing one can try to do, is to let the negative emotions rage, but for a limited amount of time, if you can. Suppression of the emotions would not be good, but if we express them , let them roll, but then get back to business, we do well. I once wrote a piece entitled "Scream if You Want to!" It's a good way to let it all out. Cheers.
"

Rea

1. When this ‘inner brat’ kicks in, I always remind myself about the importance of having the specific goal achieved. I then take on an inspiration which empowers me to perform earnest, effortless actions instead of forcing myself on getting on my feet to get things done.

2. Willpower, as we know is an expandable resource. So to overcome laziness over a task that I know is extremely important, I usually do the task at the beginning of the day since that’s the time when we have the most willpower.

3. It’s very important that you do not make two big changes at the same time. You would need to learn how to prioritize and conserve your willpower as well. Just pick a single most important task for your goals.

4. You’re the boss, and you’ll always be. Do not let laziness overpower you, you’re stronger than it is. Increase and develop your willpower by practicing constant active use of it. Just like a muscle- the more you use it, the stronger it becomes.

5. Do not just take in all the information that you read about overcoming laziness ;) … the most important part is to implement what you’ve been reading and commit to making it a habit NOT to be lazy again.

I stop thinking of anything else and just work to finish it.

It also helps to give yourself mini rewards once you've done something. It may be as little as sending a couple of resumes a day or earning a couple of dollars for an article you've written, but consider every effort deserving of a reward.

Lastly, I always try to wake up early so I can have some "me" time before doing anything work related.

I really have this problem of being lazy before but then i've setup my mind and thought of getting something, then now I'm a lot better.

zararina

Coaching Member
There are times that I become or feel lazy and what makes me motivated to work again is thinking about the bills! LOL
We do have obligations in life just like the monthly bills which will help us be hard working. And in terms of other goals, making a clear view of what you can become or what you will feel when you finally achieved it could also help us be more motivated to go after that goal.

There are times that I become or feel lazy and what makes me motivated to work again is thinking about the bills! LOL
We do have obligations in life just like the monthly bills which will help us be hard working. And in terms of other goals, making a clear view of what you can become or what you will feel when you finally achieved it could also help us be more motivated to go after that goal.
Yes bills are one of the best motivators for us to work harder and work more ;) Especially when payment times are near, usually on nearmonth ends.

Spiral

If you feel lazy, this is because you need rest. Today you may be lazy, but tomorrow you may find something to motivate you. Lazy and motivated states oscillate like the day and night, like the change of the seasons...

people become lazy when they start their day feeling lazy. However, keeping yourself busy come overcome all these.

It is only a matter of disciplining ourselves in order to overcome laziness. One way to do that is changing our mind set. Once it is changed, we can forced the body to do the work. Once we think that it is still good to sleep, then the action would be to still lay down. When we think that we need to get up because there are so many things to accomplish, then the body will respond to it. We have to remember that laziness can ruin life, because how far can we get in life if we do not do something? One of the ingredients to success is hardworking, and no one can attain good results when laziness keeps on ruling him.

people become lazy when they start their day feeling lazy. However, keeping yourself busy come overcome all these.
That's not just it, keeping ourselves busy, all day long, makes us feel lazier the next day after being tired, with too much work. I think the best way is to organize our time well, and plan everything, and divide tasks bits by bits, that it wont appear intimidating.

js14

To cut the story short; the latest research in cognitive science states that we are all lazy and is actually in nature's evolutionary process to be so.

I'm lazy.... I can admit it :D But people think not, because I am very productive (I know it's a bit of an oxymoron statement). I still consider myself lazy, because if I had a choice between lounging around versus working, I would choose lounging around.

Now, I actually mentioned "Choice". I think we have a choice of between being lazy or not. I think we just make excuses that our laziness is due to some bad habit or lack of will power, etc... I think people most of the time are lazy because they haven't made a "conscious choice". Everyone is walking and running around like a mindless robot, without ever opening up their awareness (or questioning their actions).

I was your typical lazy person... don't do my homework, do things on the last minute just when it's due, put it off for later, etc... Then there was one moment when I truly realized that; "Life is too short." That's when things really started moving.

It wasn't Anthony Robbins, it wasn't personal development seminars, it wasn't motivational speeches... It was a change in perception that moved my world.

Here is an excellent example for anyone:
Picture in your mind a delicious freshly roast chicken and it's lovely aroma. If I offer it to you, you would eat it with no hesitation. Now, if I offer you the exact same roast chicken and told you that it was poisonous... Would you still eat it?
Of course NOT. Hey, it's still the exact same chicken... What changed? Your perception changed. I gave you a subjective opinion. You didn't objectively analyzed if it was poisonous, yet your actions changed.

Perception dictates behavior. If laziness is an action you perform, then a change in perception (whether subjectively or objectively) will change your actions. When you perceive something dangerous, you act accordingly. When you perceive something is safe, you act accordingly.

Now, what is a lazy person's perception? "It's painful (subjective self talk)", "Tomorrow will be safe and the same", "Everything is fine", "It's hard", "I'm comfortable, why change, things will be the same in the future", etc...

... A Non-Lazy person's perception? "I have to prepare for tomorrow because I don't know what may come", "Life is too short", "I badly want this for myself", "I want to experience life to the fullest", "let's see where this will lead to", etc...

I can list things such as what is important to you, your goals, your dreams, accomplishments, motivations, etc... but these are very trivial. It's your perception that dictates your behavior and actions. It's your perception of the world that gets you going (whether subjective or objective). An ugly person who has a subjective perception that he is a sexy god will ask more women for their number than a handsome guy who subjectively think he has a big nose.

I don't care how lazy you are sitting on your butt, if a lion is heading towards you, you don't need Anthony Robbins telling you to get your butt moving.:D Perception dictates Behavior.

@js14 so it seems I am naturally born Lazy :) but all of us should do something so we could succeed into being better. We could overcome our laziness by thinking about our goal.