How to Ignite Sustainable Motivation (Updated with Links)

Strive for Greater

Motivation has always been an interesting topic for me. Here are some of the best strategies and best practices I have found to work for myself and others
Hop you enjoy!
I have added a little context to this!

We’ve all been there right?

You start something one day with maximum motivation to complete it, but later burn out. So we do what any rational millennial/Gen Z would do. We turn to the internet to solve our problems. What started as a well intention internet search for how to deal with burn out, overwhelm, or how to create motivation, has turned into an endless loop of (insert favorite You Tube channel).

But it’s not your fault. We live in a world of mass distraction and instant gratification. It’s just one of the unavoidable facts of life. Or is it?

Pain and Pleasure

Our lives are governed greatly by two forces: pain and pleasure. We get out of bed at some ungodly hour because we fear the pain of what could happen if we do not go to work, school, etc… Likewise, we may stay in bed a little longer because of the pleasure that staying in bed brings us.

Pleasure

The downsides of Pleasure
Many of the distractions that we face give us immense pleasure. Social networking sites allow us to live vicariously through the highlight reels of famous people, stay far too up to date on the lives of other people ( I don’t really need to know what you ate for brunch, Carol) and follow other people instead of our dreams. Now don’t get me wrong social media is a fantastic tool. Never before have we been able to do so much with so little. We can connect with relatives across the world, consume meaningful content, and enhance our experience and connectivity with the world at the tap of a button. But at what point does it become to much?
These forms of pleasure are constantly rewiring our brains for instant gratification and quick highs. So can pleasure be a good thing?
Social media and many other things like television, drinking, and smoking give us great pleasure, and way to escape out problems. But, these things can often decrease the quality of ones life in the process.

The Upsides of Pleasure
Now pleasure is not always a terrible thing. Pleasure can be used to propel our lives forward in multiple ways. The feeling you have after working out, a job well done, or some type of feel good reward after you accomplish something can be a form of pleasure that pulls you towards your goal.
The longing and desire for pleasure after the accomplishment of something is often a great way to use pleasure to your advantage. For example, think of the pleasure you would experience after putting in the hard work to get accepted to your dream school.

Pain

The Downsides of Pain
Pain can be a very strong motivator, but also greatly disempowering.
We can think of pain like the fight or flight of motivation. If you had set out to accomplish something and did not succeed, you could either wallow in the pain of the situation and be defeated (flight), or stand up and keep going no matter how painful the failure was (fight).
Often times, we let our ego get the best of us and make the decision to be defeated.
Pain can become unmotivating when there is more pleasure derived from blocking out the pain than the reward of facing the pain head on. For example, if a relationship you were in ended abruptly, it may be easier to block the pain by never dating again than facing the pain of dealing with your insecurities and faults that led to the failure of the relationship.
There is a great quote that I think summarizes this well:
“You may encounter many defeats, but you must not be defeated. In fact, it may be necessary to encounter the defeats, so you can know who you are, what you can rise from, how you can still come out of it.”​
– MAYA ANGELOU​
The Upside of Pain
Pain is often the strongest motivator of them all.
We get to work on time because we don’t want the pain of being fired, and everything that goes along with that. We turn in that school assignment because we fear the pain of failing the class. We work hard to support our families because we do not want to deal with the pain of letting a loved one down.
Although pain could be perceived as a negative way to create motivation, it has good intentions.
When you are motivated by pain, it deeply connects to your ego, sense of self, and all sorts of aspects of the human experience that will make it more effective than other means of motivation.
The Secret Sauce

While pain and pleasure are great sources of motivation, there is another source that is equally, or more powerful.

Gratitude
Gratitude can be immensely powerful in creating limitless motivation. By having gratitude for all that we are and all that we have, we are able to get our perspective on life. When we get our perspective on life, things begin to click, and tasks that were once difficult and daunting are now accomplished with ease.
When you realize that you are so unbelievably fortunate to have access to a college education, you burn the midnight oil and study for your exam. When you realize that you live in a country with abundant financial opportunity and other people would die for 1/10th of that, starting that business becomes your duty. When you realize that your employer gives you the means to support and provide for your family, your job becomes a breeze.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post. I hope that in some capacity this has helped you create the motivation that you are looking for!
Feel free to check out my blog and subscribe for more content!

Last edited by a moderator:

craige

Motivation can be quite elusive. The real skill is the willingness and habit to take action when you don't feel like it.

Success is a habit, whether you believe that or not. Action taking is one too. What many motivational videos do is pump you up until your blue and fart but don't provide a real avenue to channel that energy.

What you must do is to identify what triggers you. Now it know that can be difficult since it's you, however knowing that allows you to tap into your why.

YOU MUST FIND A WAY TO CONSTANTLY REMIND YOURSELF WHY YOU'RE REALLY DOING SOMETHING

We live in a distraction age and it's so easy to focus on other shiny items but not ours. When you're clear on what your real objective is and why you're working towards it, your mind will naturally gravitate and focus on the how...and at that point you won't really need motivation.

What you need it direction, clarity and focus.

Have a look at some powerful insights gained. It should steer you in the right direction.

Craige

Last edited by a moderator:

lifesupplys

So I have a question for you guys is it possible to always "feel like doing" the action you are doing? I am just curious of your responses.

Strive for Greater

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you say "feel like doing" I get the sense that it carries a negative connotation with it. Like it's something you have to do and not want to do. With that being said, it sounds like the "feel like doing" part refers to an action that you are not interested in doing. But I will take it at face value for the sake of this post.

From my experience, I would say that it heavily depends on the situation. I think when you have a powerful enough vision for some area of your life and it's compelling, your passion for the end goal will overpower the "feel like doing" aspect. When the vision is compelling, you will (theoretically) always feel like taking action.

I have also found that momentum carries a lot of power with it. For example, if I start a project and continue to work on that project in some capacity each day and stay consistent with it, I have found that I do not encounter the need to "feel like doing" the work to satisfy the ultimate outcome of what I am doing. The vision pulls me.

But when the project becomes stagnant and no longer supports my goals, I get rid of it.

I think you need to know when to cut your losses. If it's a constant struggle to take action on something, and it does not support your end goals, then it may be time to cut your losses and dedicate that energy to things that create pull in your life.

But we also have to consider the realities of life. Of course it would be ideal to always feel like doing things, but human nature has an ebb and flow to it: nothing is constant.

We do have to acknowledge that nothing will be 100% or even close to perfect, so a struggle is inevitable. It just comes down to asking the question of is doing this thing something that I need to persevere through and grow from? Or is this something that is futile, and a drain on my potential as a human being?

I think that how you respond to that answers the question of if you can "feel like doing" something constantly :)

I also believe that having a strong WHY will make any HOW possible. This would then eliminate the need to "feel like doing" since the WHY pulls you.

That is my hallucination in the moment. Your question was very thought provoking! What's your stance?
If you have not already, check out my blog for more stuff like this in the future. I think you would be a great addition to the community!

All the best!

Last edited:

lifesupplys

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when you say "feel like doing" I get the sense that it carries a negative connotation with it. Like it's something you have to do and not want to do. With that being said, it sounds like the "feel like doing" part refers to an action that you are not interested in doing. But I will take it at face value for the sake of this post.

From my experience, I would say that it heavily depends on the situation. I think when you have a powerful enough vision for some area of your life and it's compelling, your passion for the end goal will overpower the "feel like doing" aspect. When the vision is compelling, you will (theoretically) always feel like taking action.

I have also found that momentum carries a lot of power with it. For example, if I start a project and continue to work on that project in some capacity each day and stay consistent with it, I have found that I do not encounter the need to "feel like doing" the work to satisfy the ultimate outcome of what I am doing. The vision pulls me.

But when the project becomes stagnant and no longer supports my goals, I get rid of it.

I think you need to know when to cut your losses. If it's a constant struggle to take action on something, and it does not support your end goals, then it may be time to cut your losses and dedicate that energy to things that create pull in your life.

But we also have to consider the realities of life. Of course it would be ideal to always feel like doing things, but human nature has an ebb and flow to it: nothing is constant.

We do have to acknowledge that nothing will be 100% or even close to perfect, so a struggle is inevitable. It just comes down to asking the question of is doing this thing something that I need to persevere through and grow from? Or is this something that is futile, and a drain on my potential as a human being?

I think that how you respond to that answers the question of if you can "feel like doing" something constantly :)

I also believe that having a strong WHY will make any HOW possible. This would then eliminate the need to "feel like doing" since the WHY pulls you.

That is my hallucination in the moment. Your question was very thought provoking! What's your stance?
If you have not already, check out my blog for more stuff like this in the future. I think you would be a great addition to the community!

All the best!
That is a great post. I think I agree on the part about the vision for me that what it comes down to. I try and live from that at all times. So I have found the outer situation doesn't really matter that much because I have had experiences where I was able to get the same result and feeling regardless of the outer environment. So to me there are no rules or requirements we are making this life up as we go!

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
Reminder to posters of the rules at https://www.personal-development.com/community/help/terms/ especially regarding links. Please keep your links to the signature area, the majority of our members are following these rules and in fairness they have to be enforced for all.

One reason is poster's links are often obsolete after awhile, and Google doesn't like broken links. It's extremely time consuming to go into each and every post to remove bad links vs. the signature.

Another reason is it encourages spammy advertising posts and SEO type links that lower the quality of the site and discourage visitors and participation.

Repeated ignoring of the rules by putting links back in will result in an account being banned.

denydritz

Coaching Member
So I have a question for you guys is it possible to always "feel like doing" the action you are doing? I am just curious of your responses.
It's possible to always want to do and enjoy the activities that raise your happiness and wealth, when we have clarity about the benefits of what we do. Motivation is necessary when we're not clear about the benefits, so we rely on "pushing" to make us move.

But when we're clear about the benefits, we do the tasks automatically, without needing motivation. In other words, we simply "do it," until we reach what we want to reach. No exhaustion, burnout, or wanting to give up.

We enjoy it all the way, all the time, because we know, for sure, where we're going.

lifesupplys

It's possible to always want to do and enjoy the activities that raise your happiness and wealth, when we have clarity about the benefits of what we do. Motivation is necessary when we're not clear about the benefits, so we rely on "pushing" to make us move.

But when we're clear about the benefits, we do the tasks automatically, without needing motivation. In other words, we simply "do it," until we reach what we want to reach. No exhaustion, burnout, or wanting to give up.

We enjoy it all the way, all the time, because we know, for sure, where we're going.
That's great stuff!

Kris Spirit

Great Post! I have a tip. You can memorize how to motivate yourself and improve your mood by laughing and smiling in the mirror at yourself at home. When you get the feel of being in a good mood and associate it with how you look when you're in a good mood, you can learn to BE in a good mood and motivate yourself on command.

lifesupplys

Great Post! I have a tip. You can memorize how to motivate yourself and improve your mood by laughing and smiling in the mirror at yourself at home. When you get the feel of being in a good mood and associate it with how you look when you're in a good mood, you can learn to BE in a good mood and motivate yourself on command.
Facts!