How to Handle Loneliness

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
One of our more popular articles is about loneliness (http://www.personal-development.com/chuck/loneliness2.htm) and has received many comments. Some of the comments I have not been able to approve due to such depression it would not benefit our visitors. However fortunately most readers have found it helped them. It seems loneliness is an extremely common issue, perhaps most of us have faced it at times in our life, I certainly have. I think some have to sink low enough in their unhappiness to finally do something about it, which is true for many things in life.

Have you had this challenge, and what did you do about it? Any recommendations? Do you feel the Internet and places like discussion forums help with loneliness or is it missing the real human presence?

speedy

Advisor Member
Loneliness is normal to human being. Even rich people felt loneliness as well because of the fact that we are on the flesh and we are subject to mood swing. Though there are people around us but we still lonely sometimes and want to experience something that will lift up our spirit. Every time I get lonely, I will listen to music especially gospel music. I am not saying that I am religious but listening to gospel songs and devotional makes us meditate of how good our God is and have a lot of reasons to be happy. I love God and I cried out loud unto him every time I get lonely, sad, discouraged, or depressed. After giving all your tears to him you will better and had an energy again to face life. In some point, yes joining to the forum like this can get rid off loneliness as well but make sure that you join the topic which is funny and interesting not those topic that will make you lonelier. In addition, I used to play with my nephews and nieces. I will bring them the beach or I will play chasing with them, boxing, etc. Kids are fun to be with. If you are active in your community try to mingle with other people and maybe invite them to have a dinner in your house and have some chit chats or games. If you are active the church too, try to have a fellowship with other member. Also, you can do the things you are mostly like to do like swimming, malling, strolling, painting, etc. There are many reasons to be happy. If you are a teenager, try to call or visit your friends and go play badminton, tennis, biking, etc. Don't stay in your room when you are lonely because it will cause and lead you into depression. Think of the good things that happened in your life, your achievements and accomplishment and thank God about those things.

smile4u

Make more friends and go out to take more activities.
Find someone to talk to whenever you want to.
Parents will be your listeners, forever!

endlasuresh

Making some friends is helpful rather than making useless friends.Also making online friends is always better since we can work at the same time and chat with them.playing games is another way to kill loneliness.in this world money is for anything to kill even loneliness.

angela

I read your article that you posted here. I agree on what is written on it. Definitely, all of us have experienced "loneliness". But, we have our own different ways of conquering that feeling. It our decision if we choose to dwell on that feeling. I would like also to share some of my ways how I conquer "loneliness". I do what I love. I love reading jokes, watching comedy shows and movies. I love communicating with friends. I love being with my loved ones. When, I'm alone I love talking to God in silence. I think there are so many ways to enumerate it all here.
With regards to being being online, and participating in forums like this. Honestly, I'm enjoying doing those stuff. It makes my mind occupied, and forget lonely moments too.

Milton

Sometimes I feel lonely when I'm feeling down and there's no one to talk to.
Now that I have the Internet, I rarely feel that way. I just turn on the computer and join forums like these. Hopefully someone out there would be wiling to listen to me :)

speedy

Advisor Member
Hi
Sometimes I feel lonely when I'm feeling down and there's no one to talk to.
Now that I have the Internet, I rarely feel that way. I just turn on the computer and join forums like these. Hopefully someone out there would be wiling to listen to me :)
Hi Milton,

We are here if you need someone to talk too. Let us make and bring the internet into positive way. By having a forum like this which is the aim is to encourage others, sharing our ideas and opinions and make the world a better place.

Milton

Hi

Hi Milton,

We are here if you need someone to talk too. Let us make and bring the internet into positive way. By having a forum like this which is the aim is to encourage others, sharing our ideas and opinions and make the world a better place.
That makes me feel really glad that I could be here. I'm enjoying the discussions over here and I know I'm not alone.

speedy

Advisor Member
That makes me feel really glad that I could be here. I'm enjoying the discussions over here and I know I'm not alone.
Right, you are not alone... We are here to listen to you. :)

Milton

Also I find that seeking solace in books and perhaps some games occasionally enhances the brain's ability to think critically.

F

FuzzyMike

Talk to me if you need someone to talk to!
I know feeling down is not a nice feeling.

Milton

Where I live, there are certain hotlines that are toll-free and they'll listen to your sorrows and serve as someone that you can talk to. I'm pretty sure that your state may have such hotlines as well :D

Milton

I live in Singapore. There's a lot of social help that is provided here for students as well as working adults who are under a lot of stress.

Milton

Nah I don't think it's just my country that has this sort of services. Where do you live? I could find out similar services in your area.

mslianne

Loneliness is a normal occurrence to people. It is just in our way of coping with it that differs. Sometimes, people shy away from it and isolate themselves. They feel helpless and feel that no one will be there to help them. They lose hope and, without proper intervention, may go into a full-blown depression. This is a problem that worsens whenever people feel like talking to others or expressing loneliness is useless. On the other hand, other people treat it as a challenge - as an obstacle which needs a solution. They talk to other people about it. They search for someone who will be able to help them cope with it. They have better coping mechanisms that's why they are able to ward off loneliness.
Personally, what I do with loneliness is mixed. Sometimes, I lose hope. I sulk. I lose faith in everything. Most of the time, though, I talk to people who matter to me. I do stress-releasing activities. I engage in relaxation. These are why I am able to cope up with loneliness. I am sure it will come to me again one day, but when that day comes again, I believe I'll be ready to conquer it. :)

iebo

The only way to cure loneliness is to get out there and be around the people. I don't often feel lonely as I'm okay with being by myself, but sometimes, I just want to have a conversation with people, so I try to get out of the house from time to time.

Caroline

Reading the responses, we can clearly see a common thread: if you want to end loneliness you must DO something about it. Too often (and I have done this myself,) we dwell on the problem and it becomes larger. When you focus on something, it grows. There are three basic components to making changes in your life: awareness, decision and action. The action may be scary and it may be outside your comfort zone but that is how we grow. The definition of courage is doing something you are afraid of.

bright_light

Laugh out loud, even there's nothing to laugh about. Yoga Laughter experts have proven that the brain cannot distinguish a genuine laughter from a fake one. I tried singing a song with all "ha,ha,ha" as its lyrics. After a minute of "ha,ha,ha", I found myself laughing - and it was a real laughter. So, a fake laughter stimulates a real laughter. Try it.