How to Handle Anger

speedy

Advisor Member
It is a fact that all of us are subject to angriness and even the kindest person in the world get angry as well. We know that every time that we are angry, we want to explode if it is too much. Also, we use to talk anything we want to release our emotion without thinking that we already hurt someone. Regret is always at the end. Every people has its own way to handle anger.

Most of the time, I go quiet and will not talk to the person that causes anger. And I always cried every time I talk and want to speak out of what I feel and why I am angry.

How about you? How you handle your anger and how you show to someone that you are angry?.

I don't show people that I'm angry.
If I think I may get out of control in a conversation that is heated, I count in my head and I make up an excuse to leave the scene.
I find that if you flare up, people lose respect for you because you look like a fool.

speedy

Advisor Member
I don't show people that I'm angry.
If I think I may get out of control in a conversation that is heated, I count in my head and I make up an excuse to leave the scene.
I find that if you flare up, people lose respect for you because you look like a fool.
What you did is a good idea, in doing so you avoid making more trouble. As they said, many talks - many mistakes. Than you for sharing your idea about it.

iebo

I don't deal with anger very well. I usually keep it in until eventually I just start punching the walls or pulling out my hair. If a particular person makes me angry, I'll do what I can to avoid them.

speedy

Advisor Member
I don't deal with anger very well. I usually keep it in until eventually I just start punching the walls or pulling out my hair. If a particular person makes me angry, I'll do what I can to avoid them.
I understand, sorry it makes me "smile" when you said that you are pulling out your hair. It reminds me of my two cousins who pulling out their when they were fighting. I agree, avoiding the person is the fastest remedy to our anger.

freebird

Quietness is usually able to calm me down when I'm getting tense. Finding a place away from chaos isn't always easy but nice when I can find it. I can usually clear my head if I just take a breather.

speedy

Advisor Member
Yes right,
Quietness is usually able to calm me down when I'm getting tense. Finding a place away from chaos isn't always easy but nice when I can find it. I can usually clear my head if I just take a breather.
Yes, being quite than fight back is better to lessen the argument and conflict....

Oh, man. Anger is such a very hard situation for me to deal with.
I usually become very quiet and withdrawn. Sometimes, I explode too, and shout at others.
On rare occasions, though, I try to breathe deeply and analyze the situation first before reacting. :)

Contemptus

Personally, I think that channelling your energy into thinking about how best to improve the situation when you're on the edge of losing your cool is a great way to control your anger. For example, when a particular person angers me, I think about how I can prevent myself from becoming like him and how to be someone better than him instead of flaring up and getting myself into a quarrel or a fight. Also, conceding in appropriate situation helps a lot, but too much of it may make you appear especially vulnerable.

I haven't 'lost my temper' for close to four years. I follow Buddhism which helps a lot with this. It's like any emotion, the more you master it, the less control it has over you. The exception here being true love, as this, in my opinion, is an uncontrollable emotion.

But negative emotions such as guilt, jealousy, resentment, anger, hatred can all be tamed. Of course, we will all experience these emotions, even the Dailia Lama admitted to feeling angry in an interview with Time Magazine. But to what degree we experience anger, and how we project it, is something only we control.

If I had to give one tip for managing anger, it would be this: whenever you feel yourself losing it, close your eyes, take a few deep breathes and visualize yourself somewhere peaceful. My place of serenity in the mind is besides my Grandad's grave on a warm summers day. It works for me :)

On top of this, if you find yourself in a situation or confrontation that's testing your laurels, then remove yourself from the situation. Don't allow others to bring out your darker side. I know, it's not always that easy, but when all is said and done, anger is inevitable, how you react to it is the difference between venting anger or keeping a lid on it.

For me, even when I'm furious, I've never let it escalate into something physical. That being said, after I've had a couple minutes to cool off, I'll ask myself if how I acted is how the person I want to be would have acted. And the answer to that question is almost always a no.

If it's applicable, I'll try to apologize to the person I've had an argument with for my behavior, because I want to handle aggravating situations with more emotional maturity.

To keep yourself aligned with who you truly want to be can be difficult, especially when you're angry (regardless of if it's for the right reason or not), but if you can't keep yourself in check when something/someone makes you angry, then you're stopping yourself from becoming the best version of yourself.

Now that doesn't mean you shouldn't disagree with something you don't agree with, or give your opinion on it. Just make sure to have a cooler head about it. I can't think of a single time that someone who has been angry has spoken or thought in a more concise and accurate way than what they would have if they had kept a cooler head.

Here are some of my favorite quotes on the issue of anger:

"Every day we have plenty of opportunities to get angry, stressed or offended. But what you're doing when you indulge these negative emotions is giving something outside yourself power over your happiness. You can choose to not let little things upset you." --Joel Osteen

"Anybody can become angry - that is easy, but to be angry with the right person and to the right degree and at the right time and for the right purpose, and in the right way - that is not within everybody's power and is not easy." --Aristotle

"Holding on to anger is like grasping a hot coal with the intent of throwing it at someone else; you are the one who gets burned." --Buddha

I think that like most negative things, anger is a tool that many people misuse. Anger can be a propelling force that gets you through a difficult situation, or as an internal early warning system, but when it's used for the wrong reason towards the wrong person or thing, it can be self destructive.

When you let your anger get the best of you you're only hurting yourself by preventing yourself from being happy and becoming who you want to be.