How to get rid of fear of failure?

J

James Brown

Despite the fact, that human beings are considered to be one of the superior living creatures, human beings with all their abilities are constantly haunted by two basic fears i.e. fear of future and fear of failure. The reason for this constant fear is the fact that life is full of challenges and uncertainties that bring along with them either success or failure. Everybody loves and craves for success but dread or hate failures. However, in this quest for success, what many people forget is the fact that failure cannot be avoided, but mitigated. In addition to this, various health experts have been emphasising that the fear of failure does more mental damage than the actual failure that may or may not happen. Thus, it is loud and clear that the fear of failure greatly dampens the confidence levels by that damaging professional and personal life.

[links removed by mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Todd Hicks

Senior Advisor
Fear of failure is not a problem for me and might not be one for many others. Many might just mainly be afraid of the consequences that may come from failure. For example, one might think, "I might lose my house if I don't ace any of my job interviews." Just focus on fully preparing for what lies ahead then doing your best when the moment arrives. Anything beyond that is out of your control.

Superpower1

One way to tackle the "world is always changing" success vs. failure debate is to view constant change as a comfort. Yes, the world is changing and life hits you unexpectedly sometimes– but sometimes it hits you with good. Don't forget to think about the good. Try to shift your focus and imagine good things happening to you. It's a very powerful exercise. Even if you can only do it for 10 seconds a day to start. Over time it will become easier to imagine good things happening to you, and that energy will invite more positivity into your life. You can curb the fear with positive focus. I believe in you.

Todd Hicks

Senior Advisor
One way to tackle the "world is always changing" success vs. failure debate is to view constant change as a comfort. Yes, the world is changing and life hits you unexpectedly sometimes– but sometimes it hits you with good. Don't forget to think about the good. Try to shift your focus and imagine good things happening to you. It's a very powerful exercise. Even if you can only do it for 10 seconds a day to start. Over time it will become easier to imagine good things happening to you, and that energy will invite more positivity into your life. You can curb the fear with positive focus. I believe in you.
I believe in myself too.

Russell

I firmly believe that getting over the fear of failure is a habit that needs to be formed just like anything else. As we know, everything starts with your own self-image, which starts with one thing. Your mind. So a direction of thoughts first and foremost, is what will determine your action. You truly become what you think about all day long, therefore it's a conditioning process (habit forming) that needs to take place as much as possible in life so when you come up against those fears you can immediately change your mindset to jump right in.

Those thoughts in our minds are created by the questions we're asking ourselves, so before starting something that you're afraid of failing at, one great question is "What's the worst thing that can happen to me if I try this?" This works wonders, because if you're not going to get physically harmed or die, then you can handle it! Then you start getting some small wins under your belt which builds your confidence and self-image. You begin to realize that the world is designed to have you try things, not be afraid of them.

And failures really are just lessons on how to NOT do something. They are the most valuable tools you can create in your life. You really only fail if you quit and give up on striving to become whatever it is you wish to. You begin to look back on them and you're grateful for failing. I would never be in the position I am today were it not for my failures. Things I never would have uncovered and paths I would have never even dared to go down were I not forced there by failures. My friends and family would ridicule me for trying things, but those comments were THEIR fears, not mine. Now they cannot believe the lives my Wife, Son, and myself live. All by design, and yes all by failing multiple times over and over again.

In sales it's called "go for the 'NO'". This simply means that for every certain amount of people you speak with who say NO, without a doubt if you follow a process you will eventually get a certain amount of people who say "Yes". People who make no mistakes in life typically make nothing.

When you hear about life being the destination and not the journey, that absolutely includes those failures/lessons.

Last edited:
Taking action is a matter of consciously changing our belief system and raising our expectations for ourselves. Consistently chasing our desires is a process that must be relentlessly pursued. Many of us know deep down what we desire from our life but it is our beliefs that stir up fear within. Believing we are not smart enough or don't have enough time so we get scared that if we take the first step towards a meaningful goal we might fail. These type of beliefs are what cause many among us to pass on key opportunities, never even taking the first steps towards their personal greatness and potential. But these fears are illusory. Unfortunately it is too late before most people realize this truth.
By taking that first step and breaking down the limits we have imposed on ourselves, things begin to unfold in beautiful ways almost as if there is a higher power at work. By boldly pursuing a meaningful vision pushing through our fears and taking risks, even if it gets scary, we are able to unlock the remarkable wonder and freedom that we all have access to!

Dan_Bukowski

Advisor Member
If you work for somebody else I feel that management sets the tone for people to be innovative by having the courage themselves to allow employees to fail within reason of course. If management allows you to be creative, you will be more open to share new ideas no matter how outside of the box they may be.

Todd Hicks

Senior Advisor
If you work for somebody else I feel that management sets the tone for people to be innovative by having the courage themselves to allow employees to fail within reason of course. If management allows you to be creative, you will be more open to share new ideas no matter how outside of the box they may be.
I would feel stifled if I wasn't allowed to be creative as an employee.

G.I. Glen

And failures really are just lessons on how to NOT do something. They are the most valuable tools you can create in your life. You really only fail if you quit and give up on striving to become whatever it is you wish to. You begin to look back on them and you're grateful for failing. I would never be in the position I am today were it not for my failures. Things I never would have uncovered and paths I would have never even dared to go down were I not forced there by failures. My friends and family would ridicule me for trying things, but those comments were THEIR fears, not mine. Now they cannot believe the lives my Wife, Son, and myself live. All by design, and yes all by failing multiple times over and over again.

In sales it's called "go for the 'NO'". This simply means that for every certain amount of people you speak with who say NO, without a doubt if you follow a process you will eventually get a certain amount of people who say "Yes". People who make no mistakes in life typically make nothing.

When you hear about life being the destination and not the journey, that absolutely includes those failures/lessons.
I agree. I also believe that to overcome failure is to first believe that it is not the opposite of success, but a stepping stone. The opposite of success is truly Inaction. Not doing anything at all is already a failed mission in itself.

Reda

About the fear : the only thing you have to do is to observe it, what caprice of the ego, or lack of principle, is behind it?

During any process of change, when we have new projects, most of the times doubts and fears appear. What can hurt us or stop our evolution is not the fear itself, (we all have our own fear and worries), but being unable to manage this fear and beat it. Whatever we are trying to do, confront or achieve...something new, changing jobs, moving houses, starting a business, giving a talk...It is very normal to be afraid in these situations. It’s the reflection of our unaccomplished expectations, or the idea of failing...

Kasey

I don't believe that you can truly be a failure until you quit. If what you're doing is not working, then you just learned a lesson from that, and it moves you closer to success. The more you fail the faster you'll succeed because each time you fail you're learning what's not working. So it's important to think of failure as just a stepping stone for success.

Also when you're not doing something because of fear of failure, you're creating a mental projection of what's going to happen in the future. So the best way to handle this is to fisrt visualize yourself succeeding at whatever it is you're trying to do. Then when you're actually doing the activity be fully present in the situation. Get out of your head, and completely focus on what is right in front of you instead of thinking about what might go wrong.

Commanded Creation

Advisor Member
Words to live by:

“Go on in the certain way, and if you do not receive that thing, you will receive something so much better that you will see that the seeming failure was really a great success.”

Wallace D. Wattles

Sort of weird to think about, but is failure really so bad when out of it you become more experienced, wiser, and generally better at achieving success in the future? I think that it's all just a matter of perspective. I myself have difficulty when it comes to failing, but there's a difference between failing and failing gracefully.

What I mean by this, is that the sooner you can understand that your failures have contributed to your character just as much as your successes, the better off you will be when it comes to handling failure. If it was not for failing, how would you ever get better results throughout your life?

Perseverance, inspired action, and applied knowledge are what will turn your failures into successes.

Ricky O' Shea

Fear is a crucial and can be benfeicial. It's an ancestory inheritance as our ancestors often feared for their lives in the wild when gathering and hunting among wild beasts. That's why the flight or response cab so intense, so intense in fact that it can trigger panic attacks in extreme cases. But fear as a whole stems from the amygdala gland in the brain, so technically speaking it can't be overcome or banished altogether.

With that said, 'fear of failure' can certainly be addressed, as can most fears. The best way to deal with over failure is to tackle whatever you fear failing and give it your best shot. If you achieve the goal that fear was holding you back from then you will have stared fear in the face and won. And even if you don't quite achieve whatever it, at least you know you tried and that fear itself didn't top you from trying.

In other words, the more you face fear of failure, the more control you gain over it. The more you prove to yourself that you can do 'it', the less control the fear of failure has over you.

Fear of failure comes from uncertainty and fuzziness. If you have a clear written detailed plan of actions and you work on them every day (modify it if needed), you visualize your goals and you have positive mental attitude in general - you won't have this fear of failure.

In my opinion, it also good to remember that there is no such thing as failure. It's feedback and experience. It is the vital part of any learning path. When you understand that, you can become unstoppable. Failure doesn't exist for you anymore.

Always remember this quote by Nicola Tesla: "I didn't fail 10.000 times, I successfuly identified 10.000 ways that don't work ."

Ethanbridges

Advisor Member
How to get rid of fear of failure?

Take care of your health. Get enough sleep to maintain your wits. Avoid analysis paralysis. Don't overthink. But open your mind. Don't make generalizations when you haven't even tried anything. Remember that no two people are the same. Even twins have different things that would make them truly happy. When you meet some small failure, write it down on your notebook, on your wall, on the note on your refrigerator, anyhow you want--as long as you'll remember in the future the one lesson you learned from that failure. Take heart. Never give up. Grow.

Fear of failure is only in the head. It could be a funky little thing, but don't let it blind you from your true worth.

Rhys Barry

The Cave you fear to enter, holds the treasure that you seek!