How to get over the past?

I was thinking the other week, I realised that I've gotten over two significant chapters of my life that I was constantly carrying around and hurting myself by thinking about them. I just couldn't seem to let them go. But I'm over them both now.

The way I got over both of them happened unintentionally but both of them follow the same exact pattern.

It required a change. Not only one change, but two major changes in my life in the concerning fields.

The first event was a horribly toxic long-term relationship that I finally gathered the courage to leave a few years back - that was the first change. After that, I just didn't seem to be able to drop the past and forget what happened. Over a year later the second major change happened - I got into a new, this time a short-term relationship that I knew wasn't gonna last but it turned out to be exactly what I needed. The first guy has left my mind now and the second guy has left only positive vibes.

But at this point, I didn't know I had discovered a pattern yet.

It was the second time the same pattern repeated itself when I knew I had learned something to remember for the rest of my life.

The second time has to do with location. I used to live in Spain as a young teenager and the times in Spain weren't exactly great - besides the crap financial state, being bullied in school has left me with the worst memories. A few years later I moved back home, but again, I kept carrying all the pain in me and there seemed to be nothing to take it away from me. That's when the second change happened - I moved countries again. This time for the university and it was all positive emotions. The moment I left home seems to be the moment that fixed it all. I no longer carried Spain in me, a new chapter had begun.

Now I know that I have encountered a secret remedy for curing all suffering I will ever experience in my life.

Pretty cool if you ask me

Anyways, this is just one thought out of my notebook that I felt like sharing.
Hope you got some value out of this,
Life is great and have fun y'all!

Mick IOM

Coaching Member
Great discovery @AuzuParslas!

I have something similar here. When I moved to Australia for 2 years (initially just a short period of backpacking that turned into 2 years) I was happy and met great people. Right now I'm back in my old little town which isn't great haha

I think it's a great decision to move away if that works, thanks for sharing :)

All the best,
Mick

denydritz

Coaching Member
Hey @AuzuParslas that's a wonderful experience to share. I have a friend who also found relief after she moved out of the country to the neighboring country and started a new life there ...

Although, it comes to mind, does your 'secret remedy' mean that you have to move to a different place to overcome any suffering if it appears in your life in the future?