How to get happy fast

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
If you're down, how do you like to "get happy fast"? There's a great list of 20 ways here.

I've used some of these methods but I know there are more. How about a favorite pet, my dog always lends a sympathetic ear! Or how about even meeting like minded people in forums? :cool:

Rea

Great list! And,yes, I believe there will be room for more...oh, life's just too beautiful to feel sad and helpless...

I do most of these things especially that of making a gratitude list (which I keep in my wallet) and I just realized how long it has become! Simply having a long list of things to be thankful for makes me enormously grateful...:)

ACorder

This is a cool list of great ideas. We all have our own methods of coping with unhappiness. I usually just ask myself why I'm NOT happy. I have found often times either:

1. I can't find a real reason and just laugh at my own silly self illusions and find happiness in the fact there's really nothing to stop me.

2. The thing I think is making me unhappy is utterly ridiculous and I have no reason to be upset

Often times if I feel myself becoming unhappy or agitated and there is a reason I give myself 5-10 seconds to pout and whine and then move on. I was listening to a podcast earlier and the speaker was saying he has a method he calls the Jennifer Aniston method. Apparently when she's in a bad situation or upset she gives herself only one day to be the victim. One whole day. Then she accepts her role in whatever it is and does something about it.

Aaron Corder - Live Liberated

WWW.LiveLiberated.blogspot.com

Last edited by a moderator:

mark brewer

Advisor Member
Hi, i have to agree with the third method - go for a walk. Whenever i feel life getting the better of me i take myself off for a long walk. If you can get to a park or close to a riverbank you will be amazed at how your problems can just melt away. It's the getting close to nature that's the secret. Yoga and cycling are also up there with the best methods that work for me. I feel sometimes we over complicate things and its often the simplest of methods that can have the greatest impact. Walking is free, can be done anywhere and really does lift your mood and help keep you fit.

Mark Brewer

Last edited by a moderator:

tangwystal

Being grateful is one of my favorite happy-makers. Remembering all the things I'm grateful for in my life always lifts my mood, and puts passing irritations in perspective.

Lana James

Great list! Love the number 20. It's always going to be OK. Sometimes, we just have to stop worrying and just let things happen as it is.

eden0819

I too have issues with being and staying positive and happy at times. I usually try to do my favorite hobbies so it could distract me from being said or being down. If that is not possible, I would try to sing a song or then think of the moments that I was happy. Some others say that you could whisper a prayer to help you get out of the sad/down moment and most of the time, it helps..

betty blue

What a great list of suggestions! I especially agree with going for a walk, preferably with my dog, this is guaranteed to lighten my mood. Just having my dog around puts me in a good mood! Also being with friends and family is a mood enhancer; you can forget all your problems, or talk them over, then they don`t seem so bad. I think you have to make a conscious effort to be aware of your moods if not actually control them- just ask yourself regularly: how am I feeling? Often its down to ourselves to try to lift our mood- its easy to let bad news around us (on TV for instance) influence how we feel.

selfmade

I look at what's happening in my life to determine what is preventing me from being happy. Usually, I feel bad because I have not been making progress towards a goal or I have lost interest in what I thought was a goal. Then, I try to reassess my goals to make sure they reflect my true desires and decide what to do next. If I simply can't identify what's wrong, I find that creative activity helps me to cheer up, like painting or dancing.

Dreek Lass

Hmmm. This is a hard one. I know that being happy or sad is a choice, You can choose to think of something that makes you sad in a different way, and it will sting less. But most of us are lazy-minded and will just dwell in how crappy we feel at the time? Because of that, it is very hard to shake off a sad or bad mood and get happy again. But I have a few things that I do. Sometimes I will look around at all that I have and one by one, go through and appreciate those things. Then I will go through certain personality traits of mine that I love.

The last resort, if all else fails, is to meditate. That almost always corrects my energy and brings me back up to the surface again. If that doesn't work - which happens very rarely, depending on what has gone wrong in my life - then I will have some Marijuana.

zararina

Coaching Member
My pets (dog and cat) can also make me happy faster as I feel comforted with their presence. I also feel happy easily when eating my favorite foods and walking in a park.

Dreek Lass

My pets (dog and cat) can also make me happy faster as I feel comforted with their presence. I also feel happy easily when eating my favorite foods and walking in a park.

I am a little afraid of dogs. They move so fast, and they always seem like they are game to bits someone's fingers off. But then I see owners with their dogs, and they are not conscious at all of the dog biting them. They are too bus cuddling the dos and getting kisses from it. I would want a dog or a cat for companionship reasons, but I can't see myself getting one. I am more leaning towards a cat. They are so much cuter in my opinion. I also hear that having pets can cure depression. A lot of people say this, and so I can imagine that spending time with pets can take one to their happy place.

betty blue

I am a little afraid of dogs. They move so fast, and they always seem like they are game to bits someone's fingers off. But then I see owners with their dogs, and they are not conscious at all of the dog biting them. They are too bus cuddling the dos and getting kisses from it. I would want a dog or a cat for companionship reasons, but I can't see myself getting one. I am more leaning towards a cat. They are so much cuter in my opinion. I also hear that having pets can cure depression. A lot of people say this, and so I can imagine that spending time with pets can take one to their happy place.
I can understand you being wary of dogs; some can be aggressive but that`s usually down to the owners and how the dog treated- no dog is born bad. I think that dogs make better companions than cats because they are more loyal; cats please themselves what they do, and disappear when they want. You can also feel safer in the house with a dog! That said, you may not have room for a dog, or space to keep it. Another bonus to owning a dog is that they need walking, which ensures you go out in the fresh air with it, and its easier to chat to other people when you are walking a dog, as they are a talking point, so a dog can help you avoid feeling isolated.

TheBrit

It's a great list and for some will work well. I have always suffered bouts of depression, not as bad as some but bad enough. luckily over the years I have learnt how to cope and deal with it. I have to let myself get down, not suicidal, to the bottom before picking myself up. I then give myself a talking to and shake myself out of it. It's almost a mind game with myself and for me it works.

SweetSerendipity

If I'm feeling down, the fastest way for me to improve my mood is to turn on some upbeat music. If I can listen to that music while driving down the highway with the windows down, that's even better. Music pumps me up and puts me back in the fighter or survivor mode that I need to be in to deal with hardships in life.

Khyru42

Being completely happy is something that I have really wanted to achieve for a very long time now. I don't try as much as I used to to find ways to achieve it, but I see lists and such all the time. They are definitely something I like to check out just to see if there is anything I haven't already tried.

narmeen