How to form new habits, making my life more organised?

Discussion in 'General Self Improvement' started by marzgra, Dec 22, 2017. Replies: 6 | Views: 200

1. marzgra

marzgra Member

sooo... there's no better way to say what I fell than describe my normal day.
    But I'll start from the evening, when day, after day, after day I promise myself, that I WILL get up earlier.
    Just to be more ralistic I decide to set my alarm at 8 am.
    "Next time it'll be 7.50, 7.40, and so on, after some time I will be able to wake up at 6!" - I think.
    Midnight. I took a shower, do some streching routine, and I am in bed. I left my smarthphone on the table, so I cannot reach it from bed. I'm that smart!
    I lay in bed, my eyes are wide open - I am not sleepy! What I do? Go for my phone. And spend another hour (at least) on 9gag, instagram, yt, stc.
    Finally, I am sleepy, leave phone under the pillow.
    Ah, I love sleeping so much! But the alarm goes off, I turn it off sill sleeping - no sneeze, just turn it off, and sleep like a baby.
    About 9-10 am I wake up. It's weekend, so I dont have to rush. And AGAIN I browse the internet.
    Before 11 I start to have headache from being in bed for too long. Awesome, I saw it coming.
    Time for breakfast. Some tv... after a while it's evening, I have to make dinner.
    I feel like I forgot something, something important...
    Oh sh*t! Projects, notes, I have to study! (I'm an IT student on fifth semester in college (just two more and I'll graduate) - yeah, I have no idea how I got this far, too).
    So I study, watch yt, study, chat with friends, study, aaaand it's 1 am. Awesome.
    "Tommorow I will wake up earlier!" I promise myself again.
    Yes, I am this pahetic. And belive me, if I could I'd puch myself in the face, screaming "Get your sh*t together!".

I think I lack of a good motivation to wake up in the morning. I'm probably addicted to internet/smarthphone.
    And I have no idea how to deal with it.

Will you please help me?
    Thank you for your time, if you are reading this!
    PS sorry for any mistakes in my English ;)

msuccess likes this.

2. msuccess

msuccess Administrator Staff Member

One idea to try. Go for a small step forward by scheduling a one hour study session at a time you know you'd be up by. Set your phone's alarm to go off. Plan for only one hour and it will not seem as overwhelming. And once you get started, you can choose to go beyond the hour, or not. Another idea, when you decide to spend time on your phone or watching TV, set your phone's timer to a set amount.

marzgra likes this.
  3. Ricardo Ortiz

Ricardo Ortiz Advisor Member

Clinical Psychotherapist
    Hey there, I write about procrastination and motivation on my page, but I think I can give you some healthy advice. before I had problems waking up, I loved sleeping in 9 hours now I can function with 6.5 and I am looking to achieve just 6 hours or 5 like most super successful people.

Here’s the advice, what helped me is daily exercise. The more I worked out the healhier my sleep and ability to wake up. Somehow exercise in one’s life gives you a spark. Try it!

marzgra likes this.
  4. dennmart

dennmart Member

Software Engineer
    Let's just focus first on getting to sleep earlier, which sounds like a good habit to build first to make it easier to take on other habits you want to form. I also went through a period of poor sleep and have been able to fix most of my issues (I'd still love to wake up earlier, though!).

The main problem I've seen over and over again about people who want to wake up earlier is that they want to do too much from the beginning. You said you want to wake up at 8:00 AM, but you didn't mention at what time you typically go to sleep and wake up now. If your body is used to going to bed at 3:00 AM, for example, it's going to be near-impossible to want to fall asleep at midnight.

If this is the case for you, you should instead try to start going to bed 15 to 30 minutes earlier than usual instead of trying to force yourself to sleep hours earlier than usual. After a few days or a week, check how you feel. Do you feel low on energy or sleep on most days? Do you get headaches? Difficulty concentrating? If you're still feeling bad, either keep going to bed at the earlier time you decided or take a good, hard look at what you're doing before bed to figure out if there's something that's preventing you from getting good sleep. If you're feeling good, then start getting to sleep another 15-30 minutes earlier. Keep on repeating, and gradually your body will develop a rhythm that will help you get to sleep and wake up earlier. It'll take some time, but there's not much you can do about that - be patient.

Here are some other tips I've implemented for myself that helped me greatly that you might want to look into if you're curious:
    • Stop using my cell phone at least 45 minutes before I want to fall asleep: I think this was the main thing that was preventing me from having a solid night of sleep. The only thing I do now is using my phone to set my alarm and meditate (more on that soon), and I place the phone away from my bed so that I have to get out of bed if I want to reach my phone. Nowadays if I use my phone even 15 minutes before sleep, I tend to wake up feeling tired. There are tons of studies around why using your phone before sleep is bad for you, so search for more info if you want the details.
    • Meditate for 10 minutes: My brain often is still very active before I go to sleep. I use the Insight Timer app, which is free, to set a timer for 10 minutes where I just sit at the edge of my bed, shut my eyes and follow my breath until the timer ends. I still get thoughts pop into my head during this time but the meditation helps me notice those thoughts and let them go. By the time I'm done, I find it very easy to fall asleep afterward. If you've never tried meditation before, I would recommend looking into it since it's one of the main habits that has helped me throughout everything in my life, not just sleep.
    • Read a book (either a paper book or on a non-backlit device like the Kindle): Reading also helps me shut down my brain before going to bed. I tend to read fiction because non-fiction books like business books can get my brain going again, which isn't good for sleep. I have a Kindle that I use to read and it doesn't disrupt my sleep, but paper books are the best. As long as you don't use a backlit device like a cell phone or tablet, that should be good for helping you get to sleep.
    • Drink some herbal tea: I wasn't a tea guy at all before. My wife is, so I fell into the habit a bit during the day to cut down on my caffeine consumption. One time I decided to buy some chamomile tea and try it out at night while reading, and I was surprised at how much it made me relax.
    I'm not suggesting you go out and try all of these things at the same time - if there's something here that sounds interesting to you, I'd advise you to try it.

Once you get your sleeping situation sorted out, then pick another issue you're facing and figure out how to tackle it. For example, it sounds like you spend too much time watching TV or browsing the web. That sounds like something you can spend time figuring out to improve. Just take one thing, though. Don't do too much at once! It'll make things much harder for you.

Best of luck, hope this helps!

Sarah Carlson likes this.
  5. Derek Lynch

Derek Lynch New Member

Hello Marzgra!

You'd be surprised how many have developed the exact same habits you are kicking yourself for right now. Don't feel bad! Just a few paradigm shifts to make to completely turn it all around. Simultaneously, we are HUMAN, we will make mistakes and we self-inflict bad habits, it's in our nature.

Dennmart is on to something awesome! He knows what he's talking about. Go to sleep early, wake up early. Many, MANY successful people live by that.

I have a business in the Personal-Development space and one pivotal idea I'd like to present to you is your 'why'. IF your 'why' is big and strong enough, you wouldn't be staring at your phone 'addicted' to social media and watching YouTube videos if your reason for waking up later that day or the next day was stronger than it supposedly is right now.

Allow me to give a great example: Someone who is always telling other people "I'm just not a morning person!" had a snowboarding trip to wake up for the next morning.. we all know they'll be up and ready to go at 4 or 5 am to make the drive to the slopes! They won't be staying up until 12 am or 1 am because they know they've got to get to bed early to get sleep for the trip!

If you're not exercising or doing something else in your day to exhaust your mind or your body, of course, you won't have the urge to close your eyes and get to sleep!

We absolutely MUST set ourselves up for the following day. Have your clothes put out, have your toiletries in order. Have the cereal bowl on the counter with a spoon in it.

As my all-time favorite mentor says "Plan your day, or your day plans you". - Jim Rohn

What we care about most gets our time and attention (and often times our money). You seem to have more respect for your phone than you do for a decent night of sleep. I'll tell you 100% bluntly, not giving your body the rest it needs for the following day will 9 times out of 10 ruin you for your following day.

Proper sleep can set you up for one hell of a day!

If what I have mentioned above has helped at all, please check out my website at http://riseaboveitglobal.net thanks!

6. James Saint

James Saint New Member

There is one simple answer to this my friend and it starts in our mind. It sounds cheesy but the phrase mind over matter is a very true statement I went through this when I was a wrestler I was wondering why I wasn't able to place in state until I was a senior it was because I had not programmed my mind with that idea until I was a senior Bob proctor explains this very well and breaks it all down you should check it out

Click here to find out more

7. Sarah Carlson

Sarah Carlson Member

Customer Service
    There is a great answer on Quora called "Stacking"

https://www.quora.com/How-can-I-create-a-productive-routine-for-myself/answer/Bennett-Garner

Small changes become habits, and habit becomes your life. Start small, and you'll get there.

My honest advice would also be to leave your phone outside your room when you sleep. Preferably put it somewhere hard to access, like the top shelf of a cupboard. If you're sitting in bed trying to sleep it's really hard to ignore your phone when its sitting next to you.
    When its on the other side of the house, much easier to convince yourself you can't be bothered to go get it. "Out of sight out of mind"
    It's not perfect, but it is a good start. (I used this back when I was addicted to junk food. If I'm hungry and its right next to me BAM gone. If its far away its a LOT easier to ignore)

If you have trouble concentrating you would probably benefit from learning to calm your thoughts. This a talk by the man who trained Dr Strange, I find it a different yet awesome look at being conscious of your thoughts.