How to Develop Self-Esteem

speedy

Advisor Member
I attended a seminar last February in one of the City here in the Philippines and a nun who conducted the seminar mentioned about "upgrading ourselves". Upgrading ourselves in the way of about learning new things and to be aware of what's going on around us. Along with " upgrading oneself " is developing the self-esteem, it is because when you learn a more things you will be able to stand in front of 1 person or in a crowd.

How about you? What is your ideas, opinion and suggestions to develop our self-esteem?

iebo

I think the best way to build self-esteem is to have small successes in life, and to build on them. By small success I mean doing something small and succeeding at that. This could be learning a new skill or achieving a small goal. You celebrate the success and then try to improve on it, until it becomes an upward spiral. Having the success builds the self-esteem, which then brings more success, which builds more self-esteem, and so on.

Caroline

iebo, I agree, that is definitely one technique to raise self esteem. Far too often we only notice our failures and never stop to celebrate our successes, no matter how small they appear to be. One thing I teach my clients to do is keep a success journal and write in it every day or week. I also get them to carry around "success cards" on which they've written things they are proud of or have achieved.

Another thing that helped me immensely was learning where low self esteem comes from. Children are not born with low self esteem, it is learned and because of that we can "un" learn it. Affirmations made a huge difference in my life, especially when I not only listened to them but also began saying them out loud.

speedy

Advisor Member
I think the best way to build self-esteem is to have small successes in life, and to build on them. By small success I mean doing something small and succeeding at that. This could be learning a new skill or achieving a small goal. You celebrate the success and then try to improve on it, until it becomes an upward spiral. Having the success builds the self-esteem, which then brings more success, which builds more self-esteem, and so on.
That's another point and I agree with you that even a small success will build our self- esteem up because it makes us and happy and proud about ourselves that we accomplished something. Thank you for sharing. God bless.

speedy

Advisor Member
I like your idea
iebo, I agree, that is definitely one technique to raise self esteem. Far too often we only notice our failures and never stop to celebrate our successes, no matter how small they appear to be. One thing I teach my clients to do is keep a success journal and write in it every day or week. I also get them to carry around "success cards" on which they've written things they are proud of or have achieved.

Another thing that helped me immensely was learning where low self esteem comes from. Children are not born with low self esteem, it is learned and because of that we can "un" learn it. Affirmations made a huge difference in my life, especially when I not only listened to them but also began saying them out loud.
Hi, I like your idea of having a carry around " success cards", it is the first time I heard about it but I believed that it is a great tool in developing our self-esteem in the fact that we had accomplished something and no reason to sit back and hide, instead, go and develop what you started and share your knowledge with others.

And I checked your site, I bookmarked it as I found some interesting topics there.

God bless.

Caroline

Thank you Speedy! You make a great point about sharing and teaching what we know. A great way to develop in any area is to teach it and we don't have to know everything or be "experts" to do that. As we share and teach others, we are also teaching ourselves.

speedy

Advisor Member
Thank you Speedy! You make a great point about sharing and teaching what we know. A great way to develop in any area is to teach it and we don't have to know everything or be "experts" to do that. As we share and teach others, we are also teaching ourselves.
Such traits like having a low -self esteem bothered me a lot for the past few years, I am suffering with it as well as my mother and my other sisters. That's why, as much as possible I want to gain ideas and opinions on how they handle or develop their self-esteem. I got envious with some people are had such confidence (not boastful) with themselves and very determined on what they are doing. I really appreciate the ideas you shared here, I will be adapting them if not totally today, it might day by day. God bless.

I think having a high self-esteem requires you to be less conscious of all the flaws that you may have. Instead you should appreciate them as your unique traits. I think that may be able to help you get rid of low self-esteem. Most people focus on their flaws like "Oh, I'm fat", and with that psyche, you can simply not develop self-confidence.

Hexort

I think to develop self-esteem you need to first have confidence in yourself. I believe that others can somehow "feel" your confidence and besides, when you feel confident about yourself, you will put more effort into doing things are much more likely to be successful. Self esteem slowly develops when you have confidence in yourself!

To develop self-esteem in a pediatric client, we usually assign tasks to them - tasks which we know that they can easily solve. Of course, a specific task to a specific developmental level. No one in their right mind would assign a toddler a task set for an adolescent. :p
Knowing that someone is capable of success - that's one technique of developing self-esteem. :)

speedy

Advisor Member
I think to develop self-esteem you need to first have confidence in yourself. I believe that others can somehow "feel" your confidence and besides, when you feel confident about yourself, you will put more effort into doing things are much more likely to be successful. Self esteem slowly develops when you have confidence in yourself!
Yes, right self - confidence is very important. Most of the time, I don't have much self-confidence. But there are instances that if my self-confidence is on 100% level, i accomplished something that is impossible to do. I wish I am on that level most of the time. Thank you for sharing. God bless.

Caroline

Yes, mslianne, it is good to set goals and try things that are a little bit of a stretch and then keep expanding as each goal is accomplished. If there is a big goal, break it down into smaller and smaller steps so it doesn't look so big and impossible. Concentrate on one step at a time, that is how a mountain is climbed.

Self esteem and confidence go hand-in-hand. Self esteem is your self worth or self value and confidence is more about what you believe you can do.

I attended a seminar last February in one of the City here in the Philippines and a nun who conducted the seminar mentioned about "upgrading ourselves". Upgrading ourselves in the way of about learning new things and to be aware of what's going on around us. Along with " upgrading oneself " is developing the self-esteem, it is because when you learn a more things you will be able to stand in front of 1 person or in a crowd.

How about you? What is your ideas, opinion and suggestions to develop our self-esteem?
Developing one's self-esteem should start from ourselves. I've always believed that to I need to be happy for myself first before I can be happy for others. So, I always look for every small and big blessings I receive everyday to raise me up, each and every day.

If you have a low self-esteem, try to assess your beliefs and thoughts. They may be too negative or irrational. Believing that you could surpass obstacles and winning over challenges, big or small, can change how you looked at them before. The phrase, "I can do this", could give wonders.

Caroline

So, I always look for every small and big blessings I receive everyday to raise me up, each and every day.
A great way to do this is carry a small notebook with you and write down things that make you happy. This can be anything like seeing a puppy, opening a door for someone or whatever makes you smile. What this does is help you focus on the positive -- what we focus on increases.

Self-esteem is simply how we perceive ourselves, and how we feel others perceive us. Of course, the more you learn new things, the more you grow in confidence. But the real key to gaining self-esteem is to achieve new things.

We all have that nagging voice that say's "I couldn't do that," or "I'm not good enough," but when you ignore that inner-voice and do it anyway, you build self-belief, which closely correlates with self-esteem.

At the end of the day, if you focus on your positive attributes and develop your strengths, you will build self-esteem. We all have flaws and areas we could improve on, but if you pay too much attention to your weaknesses and dismiss your strengths, then you will naturally lower or suppress your self-esteem.

namktqs

Coaching Member
Here are something help me increase self esteem
+I have own things necessary ensure my life than many people out there don't have enough.
+I know if I want to success and happy then I need to efforts, responsibility and persistence.
+If I don't good enough, stay happy and love myself then why other love me and how I can take care to other.
+If I feel tired then I only need have a break to gain my energy then keep moving, never need to give up my dream and things I really want to do.
Can anyone add more? I hope to hear that...

I think self esteem comes from stepping out of your comfort zone and doing things you believed you couldn't. Realising your past successes, no matter how small, and of course learning to love yourself:)