How to develop patience?

smile4u

I think i am very impatient, especially with children. I could lose my temper easily for a very small thing :(. After that i might regret for what i have done, but what have done is done you know. Just wondering how i can develop my patience? Should i count numbers before i lose my temper? Sigh...

Milton

I think to be patient you need to first understand the children you are dealing with. Try to find out why they are doing what they are doing before losing your temper. I think you would be less likely to flare up once you get to know the reasons behind why they are doing certain things. They might be still young and thus ignorant of what is wrong or right, but I believe they are willing to learn as long as you are willing to listen and willing to teach.

F

FuzzyMike

You should try to understand the children, What they want.
If you try to be patient, it is much easier to control the children.

Milton

Yes I think children are willing to listen as long as you become their friend and not their supervisor. Get to know them and they'll open up to you.

F

FuzzyMike

Exactly, I totally agree. Children wants somebody to play with, not a supervisor.
They will accept you if you understand them.

Milton

Sure thing. I think if you have the will to do it, there's a lot of websites out there that can help you with developing certain skills like patience.

F

FuzzyMike

Yes ofcourse there are!
And If that does not help, try someone who does have a lot experience so he can give you a good advice.

mslianne

Well, it's very hard to develop patience especially when you're not really a patient person to begin with. :) I have had a lot of experiences trying to do so, and sometimes, I fail, sometimes, I don't. What I usually do is count one to ten before reacting. I do deep breathing as well, first. I also smile a lot to release any tension that may be present in my body. And I always pray and ask God for guidance in dealing with situations which I am not that comfortable in dealing with.

speedy

Advisor Member
I understand about losing patient especially in dealing with children. I love children but sometimes I lost my especially if they are naughty and don't listen. To deal with patiently with them, I believed we act like them if we are playing with them. Honestly, I can tell that I had a lot of patient in dealing things, like 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and times up.I agree with Mslianne, we can ask God's guidance to give us patient. Sometimes, I will just bite my tongue if things are too much and if I don't want to hurt somebody with my spoken word.

bright_light

To develop patience, look at the other side of the situation. Situation: The children are very noisy. Now, look at the brighter side to it: The children are very noisy because they are happy. I should join them, and surely I'll get myself a good laugh.

angela

Hi smile4u

Patience with children? I agree with bright_light.
I love kids and I believe they love me too :).
I'm single and don't have any kid/s now, but I have 2 nieces and 2 nephews and more than 30 godchildren. :D
Maybe, I have a childish attitudes too that's why I enjoyed being with them.
When I'm with my nieces and nephews, I always think that time runs fast that's why I simply enjoyed their childhood. When they grow up they would be hesitant to express their sincere love by hugs and kisses.

mslianne

Hi smile4u

Patience with children? I agree with bright_light.
I love kids and I believe they love me too :).
I'm single and don't have any kid/s now, but I have 2 nieces and 2 nephews and more than 30 godchildren. :D
Maybe, I have a childish attitudes too that's why I enjoyed being with them.
When I'm with my nieces and nephews, I always think that time runs fast that's why I simply enjoyed their childhood. When they grow up they would be hesitant to express their sincere love by hugs and kisses.
Wow, more than 30 godchildren! That's quite a lot! I only have three and they are all boys! :D I would like to disagree with you on one part, though. You said that they would be hesitant in expression of love. Well, my little brother is already 13 years old and he still hasn't changed. :) He's still as sweet as ever and I hope that he would remain that way always!

angela

Wow, more than 30 godchildren! That's quite a lot! I only have three and they are all boys! :D I would like to disagree with you on one part, though. You said that they would be hesitant in expression of love. Well, my little brother is already 13 years old and he still hasn't changed. :) He's still as sweet as ever and I hope that he would remain that way always!
Yes, more than 30 godchildren :D (Girls and boys). I hope my nieces and nephews would be the same as your brother, still sweet.

beingwell

I think i am very impatient, especially with children. I could lose my temper easily for a very small thing :(. After that i might regret for what i have done, but what have done is done you know. Just wondering how i can develop my patience? Should i count numbers before i lose my temper? Sigh...
Try counting. When you're temper is about to burst to someone or to something, don't rush. Count from 1 until you feel that you're no longer irritated. It's a technique I do to avoid being harsh to someone or something. You'll get used to not airing out bad vibes, and you'll feel better. I hope this helps smile.

Cecil Estrera

Patience is a virtue, as the cliche goes. But me myself have the difficulty to sometimes, in achieving it.
Yeah smiling helps, and in addition is self-control. Try to control your temper and focus on things that will lessen the negative feelings inside you.

tired

I'm with bright light - great answer and loads more fun!!!

radascars

Advisor Member
Plan ahead. Instead of rushing, give yourself enough time and allow for unforeseen circumstances. For example: Plan to leave home earlier than you normally would. Give yourself sufficient time to finish a project by the due date, instead of waiting until the last minute.

Do something constructive while waiting. It keeps your mind and your time occupied and helps you avoid unnecessary stress from worrying and getting yourself uptight.

ellion

Losing your patience with others whether children, adults even anilmals is about lacking compassion and acceptance of others differences.
losing patience with your self, that manifests in anxieties and frustration is from not having acceptance and compassion towards yourself.

Compassion and acceptance can be devleoped through taking time to observe what is happening either in yourself or in other people.

Also notice your thoughts and try to remain detached emotionally from negative and critical thoughts such as, "you are stupid", "you are wasting my time", "i cant stand it".

IT will take practice to develop these. try some meditation to become more intune with your own inner harmony.