How to detach from environment ?

skilletwt

Hey guys.
I have a problem. I'm 15 years old and through the last year i have developed my life to the point where my life is great. But I started going to high school and this environment is sick... My schoolmates are living life of no discipline and they have no future from my view. They are smoking and looking forward to get drunk. I've stoped talking to the after 1month and i'm doing my own stuff. But I still must listen to them talking and watching what they are doing. It's starting to have effect on me. I'm not worried about bullying or looking weird as im stronger than all them combined. I would really like to get out of the school completly but my parents won't like that so much. I'm passionate about something else and every hour that i'm not learning anything in school is killing me as i could be learning something thats usefull.

Question is - how do I protect myself from that environment ?

MoreSuccess

Senior Advisor
Staff member
Hi and welcome. I know how you feel, my best friend starting getting into serious drugs halfway through high school, and hanging out with biker losers, and didn't care about his classes anymore. I had to just end the friendship, and tell him we're just headed different directions. After I finished high school and was in college, I'd hear about how he couldn't hold a job, was high all the time, and that he claimed people had threatened to kill him over debts. He eventually jumped off a bridge and killed himself. So well done doing your own stuff, you have a long life ahead of you after high school, and you have to ignore the losers and just get the best education you can, and see if you can find some others there more like yourself. There has to be some that care about their future there that you can find, maybe through a club. Fortunately it sounds like you're not one of the sheep that blindly follows others, those types are rarely the ones that are happy and successful in life. I didn't like high school much either but you just make the best of it, no easy answers as I'm sure you know. As it sounds like you already see, a lot of the stuff that's important to know after high school just isn't taught in high school, so if you want the edge over most everyone else, you have to go learn it on your own. I didn't really see that until after high school, if you're already passionate about learning something of interest to you, that's great.

One other thought is that what you're experiencing is to some extent a microcosm of life at least to some extent, and to consider it a challenge to handle. Most careers you'll have the low paid workers that never go anywhere and don't even try, and the smaller subset that rise to the top. The former can hold you back and criticize you if you don't act like they do. You have to be willing to leave them behind if they are going to have that mind set, and associate with the achievers instead, who are not that hard to find. It sounds like you have the mindset it takes to do well!

Steve

allanrsm

Coaching Member
Hey guys.
I have a problem. I'm 15 years old and through the last year i have developed my life to the point where my life is great. But I started going to high school and this environment is sick... My schoolmates are living life of no discipline and they have no future from my view. They are smoking and looking forward to get drunk. I've stoped talking to the after 1month and i'm doing my own stuff. But I still must listen to them talking and watching what they are doing. It's starting to have effect on me. I'm not worried about bullying or looking weird as im stronger than all them combined. I would really like to get out of the school completly but my parents won't like that so much. I'm passionate about something else and every hour that i'm not learning anything in school is killing me as i could be learning something thats usefull.

Question is - how do I protect myself from that environment ?
A very mature head on your shoulders that has recognized the importance of forging your own path. Often in life we have to do what we don't want to do, UNTIL, we don't have to do it anymore. These are situations that we find ourselves in where we have to practically apply the laws and principals of focused thought, positive thinking and earnest endeavor to become who we want to become.

The best advice I can give is: Do not wait for a change in environment before you take action but get a change of environment through action! Ignore what the masses are doing as they are just drifting along wasting the potential they have.

Define your goal and focus on this frequently...this gives substantial impetus to remove yourself mentally from the environment you find yourself.

And as you progress you will find inspiration and ideas to better fill your time through studying important self development principals and working on aspects of your goals.

madkhaos

Coaching Member
Great advice guys, and that is correct what they are saying. Alan is right, your off to a good start. I also had friends that fell into bad habits during high school. I use to be in that same situation with them, but then I realized there is more to life then just getting high and drunk. Once I got out of high school and onto work and college I started to focus on me, how can I better myself. Where do I want to be in life and how do I get there? That became my focus from that point on and it has done me extremely well.

Just like msuccess said, all those friends who never wanted to change or give up those bad habits are either dead, in jail or working at a pizza joint to feed their addictions. Don't let that be you, go against the grain and be different. There are other ways to have fun while still being in a clear mental state, don't let other's decide who you are. When your rich, successful and ultimately happy you will learn that the battle was never with people or the environment, it's in your mind. There will always be people trying to get you to lower yourself and take what you have, that desire to be better. There will always be bad situations and surrounding in your life that you must deal with, but the battle is in your MIND. Stay positive, focus on what you want and don't let no one stand in your way or tell you, you can't. Because the second you give up on yourself, is the second that they win. You can be anyone you want to be and do anything you want to do, but many people don't want to fight this battle so they give up.

Go get what you want, and become the person you are dreaming of. Good luck kid, and may you reach your goals in life. Were always here for support.

skilletwt

Great advice guys, and that is correct what they are saying. Alan is right, your off to a good start. I also had friends that fell into bad habits during high school. I use to be in that same situation with them, but then I realized there is more to life then just getting high and drunk. Once I got out of high school and onto work and college I started to focus on me, how can I better myself. Where do I want to be in life and how do I get there? That became my focus from that point on and it has done me extremely well.

Just like msuccess said, all those friends who never wanted to change or give up those bad habits are either dead, in jail or working at a pizza joint to feed their addictions. Don't let that be you, go against the grain and be different. There are other ways to have fun while still being in a clear mental state, don't let other's decide who you are. When your rich, successful and ultimately happy you will learn that the battle was never with people or the environment, it's in your mind. There will always be people trying to get you to lower yourself and take what you have, that desire to be better. There will always be bad situations and surrounding in your life that you must deal with, but the battle is in your MIND. Stay positive, focus on what you want and don't let no one stand in your way or tell you, you can't. Because the second you give up on yourself, is the second that they win. You can be anyone you want to be and do anything you want to do, but many people don't want to fight this battle so they give up.

Go get what you want, and become the person you are dreaming of. Good luck kid, and may you reach your goals in life. Were always here for support.
Thank you, means a lot.

Cynthia

Senior Advisor
Who you interact with does impact the directions you yourself tend to head in. So I would encourage you to commit to looking for ways to interact with people you admire.

Certainly, as suggested above you could join one or more of the clubs the school sponsors. You might choose one that's a little bit academic and one that's more physically oriented (such as sports).

Another approach might be to commit to have 3 conversations each day that lift you up. In the beginning, that might be short interactions after class with 3 teachers! Or with 3 people who said something that struck you as a bit brilliant during a class. You could open such a conversation by complimenting that person briefly on what they'd said that struck you as good.

The idea under both approaches is to look for ways to connect with people where you can uplift them and they can uplift you.

Genuine compliments are a way of expressing gratitude for their presence in your life -- and that opens you to all kinds of good stuff.

Best wishes!

blessings,
Cynthia